April 2012 Moms
Options

What do you do with baby?

Im not sure if this was already asked and Im sure that you ladies can understand how I don't really have the time anymore to look in previous threads.

I would like to know what you do with your babys? Willow is 5 weeks old, will be six weeks on Tuesday. She still sleeps most of the day. She gets up around 530 every morning, takes a bottle, burps then goes in the swing and generally sleeps until about 8:30-9 AM at that point she will take another bottle or (try) to nurse and I will take her for walk around the neighborhood where she usually falls back to sleep, when we get back she will have tummy time on the floor with me, I will read to her, and play a little then in about an hour and a half she will fall back to sleep.

I feel bad putting her down while I do something but understand that I have to get things done. What makes things easier for you ladies and do any of you have guilt putting the baby in a swing or bouncy seat?

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: What do you do with baby?

• Options
    I mostly don't get anything done bc if I put him down he wakes up. I am no help. 
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    You schedule sounds great--our kiddo doesn't sleep as much and rarely will sleep outside of our arms during the day!   He only lasts for about 5 minutes in a swing before crying (ie: enough time to run to the bathroom).

In terms of getting things done, do you have a baby carrier?  I'll wear the Beco (and we just got a Baby K'Tan, which is even easier to wear around the house) around the house and get a few things done...though it's hard to bend down with baby on, so it is still limiting.

Do you have a play mat?  Luke will play there on his on (on his back) for about 10 minutes...which gives me enough time to throw stuff in the laundry & run the dishwasher, basically.  Maybe your LO would hang out there for a bit?
     Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

Our days depend on my schedule and what needs done. I have no guilt about laying him down so I can shower or make breakfast... Whatever I need to do. I don't see the need for a set schedule at this point.  

• Options

I have no issues putting him down to get stuff done.  He has a little activity mat with things that go over the top for a diversion. But he always looks off to the side at this stage.  He'll go on that for maybe 30 minutes quite contendly.  That's how I get supper cooking.

Beyond that, we follow the babywise pattern, so my son will eat, then be awake, then sleep.  We repeat that about every 3 hours.  Although this week has been shorter cycles because I think he's in his 6-week growth spurt, so many times he's gotten hungry around the 2 hour mark.  I don't wake him up every 3 hours - that's just kind of what he's gotten used to, so 90% of the time, he wakes up on his own at 3 hours give or take.

When he's awake, we just do stuff.  Sometimes I wear him in our k'tan and we walk around the house, do small chores or we'll go for a walk in the stroller or we'll run short errands.  Occasionally, I'll put him in the swing, but he doesn't seem to be a fan of that.  He does his mat quite well though if I need him too.  There isn't much you can do with babies that little.

• Options
    MrsE05MrsE05 member
    Don't feel bad, you need to take care of yourself as well.  I agree with PP on usingababy carrier, I get so much done wearing her.  
  • Options

I'm kind of feeling the opposite -- like I'm moving her around/picking her up and putting her down way too much. It upsets her tummy and makes her spit up like crazy... but her big brother always demands my attention, particularly right after she'd finished nursing. Sigh. I feel like I'm driving her crazy with all of the jostling around!

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

I'll love you forever,
    I'll like you for always,
    As long as I'm living my baby you'll be.
    - Robert Munsch
  • Options

We follow the Babywise routine like pp said. I feed her between 6-7 and then we both go back to sleep (I need my beauty rest). Then around 10 (or whenever she wakes me up) I feed her again. Then we head downstairs, I put her on her activity mat while I make coffee and get my breakfast. After I eat I flip her over for some tummy time. If I need to shower and she is not asleep, I put her in the bouncy seat in the bathroom. Around the house to get chores done, I either lay her in the activity mat, put her in the swing, or wear her in my Britax carrier. We take a walk with the dogs with her in the carrier or stroller. We do errands with her in the carrier or stroller. She is eating every 3 1/2 hours or so right now so that limits my time out (since I am ebf). 

Dont feel bad about putting her down! If she is lying looking at a mobile or sitting in a swing it's ok! Remember they are new to the world and haven't had much experience with things. As long as DD is quietly hanging out she's fine. It sounds like your routine is really good. If she crys when you put her down awake you could try a carrier. That's how I make dinner!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    What you're doing sounds great! I understand feeling bad about putting them down, but it's impossible to hold them all day and swings/bouncy chairs/ play mats have things to look at that helps stimulate LO too. With a toddler to also take care of I really have no option but to rely on the swing or bouncy chair a lot!

• Options

Your schedule does sound great! If you want to do stuff around the house but don't want to put her down, get a moby wrap (if it's not too hot where you live) or a maya wrap sling or ergo carrier and wear her while you do stuff!

imagemarriedsisterofbride:

Im not sure if this was already asked and Im sure that you ladies can understand how I don't really have the time anymore to look in previous threads.

I would like to know what you do with your babys? Willow is 5 weeks old, will be six weeks on Tuesday. She still sleeps most of the day. She gets up around 530 every morning, takes a bottle, burps then goes in the swing and generally sleeps until about 8:30-9 AM at that point she will take another bottle or (try) to nurse and I will take her for walk around the neighborhood where she usually falls back to sleep, when we get back she will have tummy time on the floor with me, I will read to her, and play a little then in about an hour and a half she will fall back to sleep.

I feel bad putting her down while I do something but understand that I have to get things done. What makes things easier for you ladies and do any of you have guilt putting the baby in a swing or bouncy seat?

Lilypie First Birthday tickers Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    imagejeffsjayme:

I have no issues putting him down to get stuff done.  He has a little activity mat with things that go over the top for a diversion. But he always looks off to the side at this stage.  He'll go on that for maybe 30 minutes quite contendly.  That's how I get supper cooking.

Beyond that, we follow the babywise pattern, so my son will eat, then be awake, then sleep.  We repeat that about every 3 hours.  Although this week has been shorter cycles because I think he's in his 6-week growth spurt, so many times he's gotten hungry around the 2 hour mark.  I don't wake him up every 3 hours - that's just kind of what he's gotten used to, so 90% of the time, he wakes up on his own at 3 hours give or take.

When he's awake, we just do stuff.  Sometimes I wear him in our k'tan and we walk around the house, do small chores or we'll go for a walk in the stroller or we'll run short errands.  Occasionally, I'll put him in the swing, but he doesn't seem to be a fan of that.  He does his mat quite well though if I need him too.  There isn't much you can do with babies that little.

I'm a baby wiser too. We eat, then I talk to him for a bit, make faces, he plays on his play mat, I do a colic massage to get all his gas out, then he naps. Cycle repeats. Although now that we're in Germany, I've had to become a NIP champ because we spend hours walking around and shopping and sight seeing and I EBF. But it works for me and lets me have some freedom during the day. We also love the Moby wrap and our Britax baby pack. 

• Options

We are another baby wise family as well. We mostly follow the eat, play, sleep schedule. J is a very easy baby. So easy to the point where I'm nervous to have a second because the next one ha got to be difficult.

During his awake time we play on his mat, do tummy time, read books, go for a walk, etc. he also has a somewhat independent demeanor. He likes silent alert time in his PNP where he talks to his toys. 

imageimageimage
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"