Working Moms
Options

morning routine question

I have a 2 1/2 year old and am due with our second in September and will be taking 3 months off work but then going back full time.  Right now I have a pretty good routine with my little girl in the morning but was curious how you all do it--moms who have a toddler and an infant with nursing, getting both kids ready, getting out the door and dropping off at daycare.  My husband and I both work M-F 9-6.  Any tips would be appreciated!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: morning routine question

• Options
    can't you nurse both at once?
  • Options
    I haven't breast-fed my daughter since she was 6 months--I meant, how to balance keeping her entertained, get her dressed, me shower, feed her, feed the baby, get out the door, etc.---was just looking for some time saving tips.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    We only have one child right now, but number 2 is on the way. DH currently takes care of DS in the morning. DS can eat a hot breakfast at school, so mornings are pretty easy. DH wakes, gets ready for work, wakes DS, dresses him, hands him a baggie of cereal to snack on, grabs his school bag, and off they go. Once the new baby comes, DH will continue to take care of DS, and I will attend to the baby. For me, that will probably mean waking much earlier to nurse the baby, getting him or her dressed, handing the baby over the DH's care, and getting myself ready. DH will take both of them to daycare. 

• Options

DS1 eats breakfast at daycare so that helps. I can get him dressed while he's still 1/2 asleep so it doesn't take long to get him up, dressed, teeth brushed, potty & in the car. I realize not all toddlers are that comatose in the mornings. Big Smile

Here's my routine: I get up & get myself ready except for putting my work clothes on. Then I get the baby up, nurse then (as age allows) put him on the activity mat, set him down with with toys in the floor of my room or put him in the jumperoo while I get dressed. Depending on how content the baby is by that point I'll either leave him in the jumperoo while I go upstairs to get DS1 up & ready or I'll go ahead & load the car & put him in his carseat (attached garage so I can leave door to house open but garage door closed). When DS2 was still in the infant carrier I strapped him in & left it in the living room while I got DS1 up & ready. (As he's gotten older DS2 started throwing a fit if I just leave him with toys & walk away but if I put him in the carseat he's fine.) Head to daycare, then work.

If DS1 was eating at home I'd get him ready first then set him up with breakfast & a cartoon while I got DS2 up & fed. That's how our weekends go. I've realized the less time my older son is awake on work mornings the better though...less time for him to get whiney or come up with reasons to throw us off schedule.

You're probably already doing this with one child but I take care of as much as possible the night before: get the diaper bag ready, bottles prepared, baggy of cheerios for older DS to snack on & sippy of milk in the fridge, clothes picked out for both kids & an idea of what I'm going to wear (iron if necessary), etc. I shower & all that at night too b/c I like to sleep as long as possible in the mornings.

I allowed plenty of extra time at first....I think I started out with 2 hrs before I needed to leave. Over time I've whittled the process down to an hour. My office is pretty flexible though so if I'm running a few mins late it's not a big deal.

Married: '06 - Mom of 3 boys: '08, '11 & '14

• Options

The infant is pretty easy to manage, IME.  Babe gets up, gets changes, eats, gets changed again, hangs out in the bouncy chair (or whatever) in between.

The 3 year old will be more challenging.  Up, get dressed, teeth brushed, eat breakfast, potty.

If you can, shower at night.  That way it is a matter of brushing your teeth and your hair/makeup routine only (aside from getting dressed).

Do what you can the night before (packing bags, etc.).

You'll find a new balance.  It'll be a juggle for a while then get normal.

promised myself I'd retire when I turned gold, and yet here I am
  • Options
    aglennaglenn member
    imageridesbuttons:

The infant is pretty easy to manage, IME.  Babe gets up, gets changes, eats, gets changed again, hangs out in the bouncy chair (or whatever) in between.

The 3 year old will be more challenging.  Up, get dressed, teeth brushed, eat breakfast, potty.

If you can, shower at night.  That way it is a matter of brushing your teeth and your hair/makeup routine only (aside from getting dressed).

Do what you can the night before (packing bags, etc.).

You'll find a new balance.  It'll be a juggle for a while then get normal.

This!  It's my 2.5 year old who's the problem in the mornings.  I usually nurse the baby while she's eating breakfast, then he just needs to be dressed and he's ready to go.  She will stall and putter around the house forever and has to be more closely managed.  You will figure it out!  It's not as intimidating as it seems.  Good luck!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"