3rd Trimester
Options

Measuring behind

At my last appointment when I was 32 weeks the doctor I saw said I was measuring just right.  Today, at my 34 week appointment, the doctor said I was measuring at 32 weeks (this was a different doctor, one I hadn't met yet).  I tried to ask him more about it, but all he would say was that it really doesn't matter, everything looks healthy.  So what I'm wondering is does this just mean that the baby is measuring how a 32 week old baby would measure (as opposed to how him measuring how a 34 week old baby would) and that he hasn't grown since my last appointment?  So my 34 week old baby is essentially "small for his age." Or does it mean something different? It doesn't mean my due date is 2 weeks later, I'm assuming, since he didn't say anything about that.  Gah I'm just so confused since he wouldn't give me any answers! 
imageimage
imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Measuring behind

• Options

Sometimes your baby's positioning can affect your measurments. I wouldn't worry too much just yet - plus it might have something to do with the different doctor.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

was this an ultrasound or fundal height (height of pubic bone to top of uterus)? If its just a fundal height ignore it...we're talking a difference of 2cm and different doctors are not consistent in where they mark the pubic bone (top or bottom)...

all in all it means nothing....Baby might just be in a different position. This does not effect your EDD or baby. Its a guideline. Next time though make the dr answer your questions so you don't worry over nothing.

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Are you talking about an u/s measurement or fundal measurement? Either way it isn't a big deal and definitely won't affect your due date.
  • Options
    imageCrescent683:

was this an ultrasound or fundal height (height of pubic bone to top of uterus)? If its just a fundal height ignore it...we're talking a difference of 2cm and different doctors are not consistent in where they mark the pubic bone (top or bottom)...

all in all it means nothing....Baby might just be in a different position. This does not effect your EDD or baby. Its a guideline. Next time though make the dr answer your questions so you don't worry over nothing.

Ha. Jinx. (this comment wasnt there when started typing :)

• Options
    imageCrescent683:

Woops, should have mentioned it was fundal height, not u/s.  I figured it was NBD since he was all "whatevs" about it; thanks! :) 

imageimage
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    wbraunswbrauns member
    Yeah this can definitely vary. I had been measuring one week ahead throughout this entire pregnancy, then at my 36 week appointment I was measuring 39 weeks, than at my 37 week appointment I was measuring at 34 weeks, and this week I was measuring at 41 weeks! So I went from 39 to 34 to 41, all within three weeks. My doctor said when you get this far into the pregnancy it can vary greatly depending on where baby is sitting.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    Don't worry at all! This was my exact case, I was measuring 32 at 34 weeks and went in for an ultrasound today on my 35th week and he is actually a week ahead in size measuring at 36 weeks. Fundal height apparantly means nothing.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"