October 2012 Moms
Options

Huffington Post.ca: Maternity Leaves Around The World

Re: Huffington Post.ca: Maternity Leaves Around The World

• Options
    That's depressing. Sad
    Aaden18mos Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Addie NewbornBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    This just made me hate America. Ok not hate, but, you know, angry.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    It was the first time I was glad to be giving birth abroad (while working abroad). I'm getting 60 days full pay and then for 6 months I will have a two-hour reduced work day as part of my neo-natal hours/nursing hours - or I could opt for a year of 1 hour reduced days - but I'm taking the two.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Oct Angel Babies
  • Options

imageAbuDhabiMommy:
    It was the first time I was glad to be giving birth abroad (while working abroad). I'm getting 60 days full pay and then for 6 months I will have a two-hour reduced work day as part of my neo-natal hours/nursing hours - or I could opt for a year of 1 hour reduced days - but I'm taking the two.

That's a really neat option for mat leave with the reduced work days. I actually kinda like the idea since alot of moms have to go back to work due to needing the second wage.

BabyName Ticker
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    TTTC for 6 years. Me:RPL,DH:MFI motility and numbers
    March 2010 IVF#1- BFP born 11.29.10, became an angel 04.12.11
    June 2011 FET#1- BFN
    July 2011 FET#2- BFP, MC at 5 wks
    January 2012 IVF#2- BFP, EDD moved to Oct 5th
    It's a girl!
  • Options

What is crazy is living in one of those countries that allows a MUCH longer maternity leave, but being American and working for the Army that goes by American standards.

We are stationed in Germany where expectant moms are not ALLOWED to work the last 8 weeks of pregnancy or 8 weeks after the baby is born. And they get full pay while they are out too. (They also pay WAY more taxes than we do in order to afford all that support.). My Germany friends are shocked that I intend on working until I physically can't any more. My American friends/boss expect nothing less.

Just another cultural difference to get to experience :)

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    imageLSUnoelle1220:

What is crazy is living in one of those countries that allows a MUCH longer maternity leave, but being American and working for the Army that goes by American standards.

We are stationed in Germany where expectant moms are not ALLOWED to work the last 8 weeks of pregnancy or 8 weeks after the baby is born. And they get full pay while they are out too. (They also pay WAY more taxes than we do in order to afford all that support.). My Germany friends are shocked that I intend on working until I physically can't any more. My American friends/boss expect nothing less.

Just another cultural difference to get to experience :)

I actually think it's crappy that they don't ALLOW you to work the last 8 weeks of your pregnancy. I'd rather have that whole 16 weeks at home after baby comes. I worked up to the day before I delivered at 40 weeks so I could have all 12 weeks of FMLA at home with my baby. Otherwise I would have just been sitting around going crazy waiting for baby to come. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"