January 2013 Moms
Options

Old wives tales

Having lots of morning sickness you are having a girl... No morning sickness you are having a boy.

Share those crazy old wives tale...

***The one above was true for my last pregnancy.  ( lucky shot I guess Smile )

~Caleb~ If i could have a lifetime wish, a dream that would come true, I'd pray to God with all my heart, for yesterday and you. D&E 8/24/2012 EDD 1/28/2013 ___________________________________________________ Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Old wives tales

• Options
    Tons of heartburn means a full head of hair upon arrival!
  • Options
    erkieerkie member

Craving sweet- Girl

Craving sour- Boy

There's one about a heartrate, but I can't remember what the cut-off is. I'm sure someone else knows it.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

I had horrible morning sickness with DD...and she was a girl!

She also had a full head of hair  (her hair was past her neck) and not once did I have heart burn.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    The old wives tales that claims that the fetal heart rate of a girl will exceed 140, while a boy will be slower.
  • Options
    Years ago I heard an old wives tale that if you want a girl you should eat a lot of dairy. 
    11/2010 Diagnosed with PCOS 
    10/31/11 M/C at 9 weeks
    1/12/13 DD was born
    4/9/16 DS was born 
    9/17 CP 
    6/23/18 BFP EDD 3/4/19 

• Options
    Reyka9Reyka9 member

I had no m/s last time and had a boy, so that one was true.

I didn't have any heartburn and he was born with a full head of hair, so that one wasn't true ;-)

I think there's an old wives' tale that if you see a mouse while you're pregnant, your baby will be born with a big birthmark?  I was walking in NYC with DH when I was in my 2nd trimester and I freaked out because there was a dead mouse on the sidewalk.  I wasn't freaking because of the mouse itself, but because I was worried that now my baby would have a gigantic birthmark =D  lol

... DS doesn't have any birthmarks ;-) 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

imagebrianabrad:
    The old wives tales that claims that the fetal heart rate of a girl will exceed 140, while a boy will be slower.

This one was exactly what caused the doc to tell my parents I'd be a boy (I guess ultrasounds sucked 30 years ago)! They were quite surprised when this slow-heart-beating girl was born!

Norah transformed our family January 6, 2013

imageimageimageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

So I had lots of MS with DD and heartburn and she was born with lots of thick black hair!  So far lots of MS again so we'll see!!

I did the Chinese gender chart last time and it said boy and she was most definately a girl.  It says boy this time too lol! 

Has anyone done the necklace test? Swings in circles its a girl and swings back and forth its a boy?

• Options
    imageashdonne:

So I had lots of MS with DD and heartburn and she was born with lots of thick black hair!  So far lots of MS again so we'll see!!

I did the Chinese gender chart last time and it said boy and she was most definately a girl.  It says boy this time too lol! 

Has anyone done the necklace test? Swings in circles its a girl and swings back and forth its a boy?

This is my first but mine said boy for the Chinese gender chart, my husband is convinced he can only make boys, and one of the ladies I'm close with at work said she had a dream that I was having a boy so that's what it's going to be! lol I'm still holding out hope for a girl though, although I'll take a healthy baby any sex ;)

Also, is there one about how you carry can predict if it's a boy or a girl? Carrying low is a girl and high is a boy. Or maybe it's the other way around.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    imagehansonam446:
    imageashdonne:

This is my first but mine said boy for the Chinese gender chart, my husband is convinced he can only make boys, and one of the ladies I'm close with at work said she had a dream that I was having a boy so that's what it's going to be! lol I'm still holding out hope for a girl though, although I'll take a healthy baby any sex ;)

Also, is there one about how you carry can predict if it's a boy or a girl? Carrying low is a girl and high is a boy. Or maybe it's the other way around.

I'm not sure which it is but I carried high with my daughter---well really just kinda all over.  I'm so short-waisted there is really nowhere for the bump to go but out!

• Options

I heard one that suggested you could tell what gender you were having based on whether your baby sits up high or down low. High- if it's going to be a girl. Low if it's going to be a girl.

Sorry about the double post. There was a problem while I was editing and then I couldn't delete it anymore because the time expired... 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

imagehansonam446:

i don't know...everyone told my mom it looked like she was going to have a boy based on the way she was carrying me...

last i checked, i'm not a boy....but if i was, i would have been christopher scott 

• Options
    According to the cravings I should be having a girl. According to the MS I should be having a boy. Chinese chart shows a boy but it showed a girl for SIL and she had a boy.
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    ==N====N== member
    Boys make their mothers more beautiful while pregnant and girls  make their mothers look worse because they take some of their beauty.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • Options
    imageashdonne:

I've done something similar. You use your wedding ring, string it onto a strand of your hair, and place it over your palm. If it swings in circles, it's a girl and back and forth, a boy. According to this OWT, I'm having a girl.

The Chinese gender chart says I'm having a girl.

I've had a couple dreams that say we're having a boy.

I guess we'll see! :)

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

BFP #1 5/12/12; EDD 1/20/13; Eliana Grace born 1/25/13

BFP #2 12/11/13; EDD 8/23/14; M/C 6 weeks

BFP #3 4/3/14; EDD 12/13/14

Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    lanie22lanie22 member

Okay, so I admit that I just googled the Chinese gender chart and according to it, I'm having a boy.  I had a dream the other night it's a boy, and my MIL also thinks boy....not going to lie, I may try the necklace thing just for giggles Wink

Anyway, the old wives tale that is the craziest to me is that a cat will smother a baby if they smell milk.  Dear Lord.  My mother of all people told me that one the other day when we were chatting about how I think my pets (including our 7 year old cat) would react to LO.  She said she didn't beleive it, but she is worried about how the cat will react.  I still shake my head when I think of that one.

BFP #1 4/6/12 CP 4/10/12 @5 wks

BFP #2 5/6/12 EDD 1/16/13  DD born on her EDD 1/16/13

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

BFP #3 1/26/14 EDD 10/9/14

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

imageWhitney915:

I read in Dr. Oz's book that this has been backed up by scientific research!

5 IUIs to get BFP w/baby #1
    3 IUIs to get BFP w/baby #2
    Lost baby #2 at nearly 12 weeks (D&C on 9/19/14)
  • Options
    imagehansonam446:

Its the other way- high=girl and low=boy.

We have a still-very-bald daughter. Chinese gender chart said boy; I had very mild m/s; I had rough heartburn; and I did not have trouble with breakouts. Oh and 80% of everyone thought she was a boy. The one thing that was true for us though was the heartrate.

BFP #1 6/3/10 | EDD 2/5/11 | Noelle born 1/28/11
    BFP #2 12/20/11 | EDD 8/24/12 | Natural M/C 12/22/11
    BFP #3 5/13/12 (Mother's Day!) | EDD 1/23/13 | Natural M/C 6/9/12 (blighted ovum discovered 6/7/12 at 7w1d)
    "And to think when their little eyes opened, the first thing they saw was the face of Jesus."
    My Ovulation Chart | My Baby Name List
  • Options

imageWhitney915:

this was true for me. although the m/s OWT was not. 

I am convinced that coffee is God's gift to mothers.

BabyFruit Ticker       
    **  DD-5.30.11 ** DS-1.15.13 ** #3 EDD - 9.4.14 ** 

• Options
    how interesting....  ive also heard a lot of heartburn means lots of hair!!!! lets see if any of these are true!!
    AnniversaryBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

imageWhitney915:

Actually, that is normally true! I've done some research on it. I had tons last pregnancy and Ethan was born with tons of hair (which promptly fell out 2 weeks later).

• Options

One of my coworkers was told by a library customer that she must be having a girl since her beauty had been stolen.  Indifferent   (she did end up having a girl).

Formerly knittylady
    DH:34 - Me: 33
    Emmaline Winifred - 1.25.2013
    Wesley Daniel - 7.24.2014
    #3 EDD - 6.24.2018

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

So far this leads me to believe

Chinese gender chart - Boy

Cravings - Mean Boy

Wedding Band - Boy

Very light m/s - Boy

Heartburn - hair

Breaking out on my face - Girl

I guess we'll find out in August. LOL. :)

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Options

No M/S- boy

Cravings- boy 

heart rate - Girl 

Chinese Gender Predictor- Girl

Heartburn- a tiny bit if I drink soda, but Ive never had it in my life, so hair

Breaking out- Only the first couple weeks.... 

Carrying- we will see.....

• Options
    imagebrittandjp:
    imageashdonne:

I've done something similar. You use your wedding ring, string it onto a strand of your hair, and place it over your palm. If it swings in circles, it's a girl and back and forth, a boy. According to this OWT, I'm having a girl.

The Chinese gender chart says I'm having a girl.

I've had a couple dreams that say we're having a boy.

I guess we'll see! :)

I also heard one that says whatever sex you dream about having you'll have to opposite! So maybe you ARE having a girl ;) 

• Options
    If you ignore a craving the baby will be born with a birth mark in the shape of that food!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • Options
    I had a coworker tell me that if my hair grew fast during the pregnancy that I would be having a boy. If it grew slowly, it would be a girl. I had never heard that one before.
  • Options
    imagenycitygirl1:

imageWhitney915:

I read in Dr. Oz's book that this has been backed up by scientific research!

Well Dr Oz is a quack IMO... well maybe a snakeoil salesman is a better description. 

I had awful HB starting around 13 weeks. Based on the OWT, Henry should have been due for a haircut at birth! While maybe a full head of hair could somehow cause HB (but I dont really buy it since the baby is in the amniotic fluid/placenta) I think it is more to do with physiology. For example, I am VERY short waisted (my hip bones and rib cage overlap for perspective) and I carried really really high. The position of the baby in your body pushes things around and can cause acid reflux and heartburn. Sorry but at 13 weeks gestation, my son did not have hair. He was born wiht some hair but not a ton by any means. 

Most of the gender OWT were pretty accurate for henry. Heartrate, ring on a string, chinese chart, carried high etc. Also, teh overwhelming consensus among friends and family was that I was having a boy. So far I have had 2 girl guesses for this one. 

11/18/16 missed m/c 9w1
    05/2017 cp
    08/03/17 no hb 8w

• Options
    The necklace test, chinese chart, and the fact that i have lots of MS  all say GIRL. and i have to say im looking crappier pregnant not more beautiful.  OH BOY!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker It is by loving and not by being loved that one can come nearest to the soul of another. -- George MacDonald
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"