Baby Names
Options

Poppy is ruined.

I have been planning on calling our little Penelope June 'Poppy' for a long time, but last week someone mentioned it sounded like what we call the old hispanic men in the kitchen at work, it's ruined. How did I not connect Poppy and Papi til now?!?! I can not get it out of my head..

Re: Poppy is ruined.

• Options
    Unless you put your baby to work in the kitchen at a very, very young age it shouldn't be a problem.
    The word you're looking for is SEX.  I promise.  No, it's not gender.  It's sex.  You're welcome.
  • Options
    I would've never made that connection. Unless you live in a very Latino place (like Miami or parts of Texas) I wouldn't really worry about it. Poppy is actually a really British nickname.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

5 IUIs to get BFP w/baby #1
    3 IUIs to get BFP w/baby #2
    Lost baby #2 at nearly 12 weeks (D&C on 9/19/14)
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I would never have put it together...... I had a good friend named poppy and it fit the life that she gave the room when she walked into a room.  I always thought of cheerful, colorful, etc.... In fact, check out the Poppy line that Coach has out.  It's adorable, not some guy in a kitchen.
  • Options
    I can see your frustration.  I however, pronounce them differently.  I think if you really love the name, you should not let that stop you!
    Began TTC #1 in January 2011
    Confirmation and Removal of Endo - March 2012
    +#1 on 4/1/12 - m/c @ ~8w 5d
    +#2 Tx cycle 4 - 5 mg Letrozole + 75iu Follsitim & Ovidrel w/ IUI on 11/13/12 - EDD 7/23/13 
    7 week u/s revealed THREE babies, all with heartbeats.  153bpm, 148bpm, and 136bpm
    9 week u/s revealed loss of Baby B.  A and C are growing on track.  A measuring 9w1d with 172bpm and C measuring 9w0d with 179 bpm.  
    Elective sex determination u/s on 2/8 revealed... boy AND girl!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options

imagemegemoney:
    I can see your frustration.  I however, pronounce them differently.  I think if you really love the name, you should not let that stop you!

This exactly. They're pronounced differently don't let it bug you.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

A similar reason kept me from using Poppy as a first name for DD2 (we did use it for her middle name), and I kind of regret it now. You may change your mind about it again before your little one gets here. I think it's a great name?sweet and spunky.

Mary Jane {12} Kaden {10} Eliza {4} Due Sept. '14

CafeMom Tickers

Considering . . . Agatha, Beatrix, Clara, Daphne, Isadora, Josephine, Matilda, Philippa, Tabitha, Winifred . . .
  • Options

Honestly, that is the reason I can't get totally behind Poppy.  It is a common nickname for grandfathers.  I called my paternal grandfather Poppy exclusively.  He died about 3 years ago so 27 years of calling an old man "Poppy" makes it hard to see on a baby. 

It is good that you realize some people will have that mental image.  But it doesn't mean it still isn't a good name for you.  I think it is cute, I just have the mixed mental image that would totally preclude me from using it ever :).

Married 6/28/03

Kate ~ 7/3/09 *** Connor ~ 11/11/10

4 miscarriages: 2007, 2009, 2013, 2014

*~*~*~*~*

No more TTC for us. We are done, and at peace, as a family of 4.

"Suffering has been stronger than all other teaching, and has taught me to understand what your heart used to be. I have been bent and broken, but – I hope – into a better shape.” — Charles Dickens

• Options

My DH is 150% into Penelope and likes the nn Penny.  I prefer some of the other nn's including Poppy, but that is my FIL's grandpa name, so it's out for us too.

Honestly, it's not really a bad association.  It's not like it's Spanish for whore or poo, or something bad.   

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I never would have made the connection either.  We've discussed Penelope before, and if we use it, we're definitely calling her Poppy, Papi or no Papi.
    Follow Me on Pinterest Image and video hosting by TinyPic Photobucket Photobucket
  • Options
    I really don't think most people pronounce them the same way.  Poppy is a lovely nickname for a beautiful name, but if it really bothers you, Penny is also great, as pp mentioned.
    "Today I will be happier than a bird with a french fry."
  • Options

imagenycitygirl1:
    I would've never made that connection. Unless you live in a very Latino place (like Miami or parts of Texas) I wouldn't really worry about it. Poppy is actually a really British nickname.

This.

imageimage

• Options
    I've never connected Poppy to Papi. If anything I'd be deterred from using it because of the opium connection.
    Lilypie - (KUub)  Lilypie - (x7FR)

Daisypath - (cVUA)   Daisypath - (CnD8)

• Options

imageSposaBellarina:
    IPoppy is a lovely nickname for a beautiful name, but if it really bothers you, Penny is also great, as pp mentioned.

Bazinga.

• Options
    I still like Poppy and wouldnt let Papi change your mind.

BFP#1 10 wk missed mc      

BFP#2 DS born at 40+2 on 8/14/12  BFP#3 DD Born at 39+3 on 5/13/14

• Options
    hmmm.  I say them exactly the same.  Must be my midwest accent! Oh well, we have been calling her Penn, Penny, and Nelly a lot too so I am not too sad about losing Poppy. Honestly, I like Penelope best anwyay!
  • Options
    Well I worked in a daycare and had the most amazing little girl called POPPY! She herself made me love the NN and I would say do it! Its the cutest NN for a little girl!
  • Options
    Poppy is what we called my great-grandfather and what I immediately thought of when I saw this thread.  I don't know I thought of that!  I wouldn't have made the Papi connection.  I actually think it's fairly cute and I adore Penelope so I don't think it would ruin it for me.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I don't think it matters. Perhaps it's because I am a visual person, but due to the spellings, Poppy and Papi are totally different to me, and I don't think people will be confused at all when you refer to your little Poppy which version you are using!
  • Options
    kacellekacelle member
    We've discussed having a Penelope "Poppy" as well.  I think what would keep us from doing so (although we might anyway) is that FIL goes by "Papa" to his grandchildren.  So it's really close...
    Married to my best friend 6/5/10
    BFP #1 9/7/10, EDD 5/14/11, Violet born 5/27/11.
    BFP #2 4/9/12, EDD 12/16/12, M/C Rory 4/24/12.
    BFP #3 10/6/12, EDD 6/16/12., Matilda born 6/17/13.
  • Options
    imageshana+chris:

imagenycitygirl1:

This.

I actually live in Miami and would never have made this connection. They aren't the same!

• Options
    jlh2716jlh2716 member
    Go ahead and use it! Poppy and papi aren't pronounced the same (not to a Spanish speaker or someone familiar with Spanish at all, anyway), so I wouldn't have made the connection at all.
  • Options
    Papi is generally fairly flirtatious in Spanish, why are you calling old men at work that? And why are you calling them all the same thing anyway? Learn their names, that sounds totally inappropriate and rude. 
  • Options
    ta78ta78 member
    It seems strange you call the old men at work Papi. Either way I wouldn't let it stop you from calling her Poppy.

Q :  06.25.10
    W : 01.11.13

#3 : due 11.02.15

• Options

Sorry I always thought the father/grandfather reference with Poppy. 

What about Nell? I love that for Penelope! 

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers 

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Blogging about boobs, babies, bed lust & everything in between since 2007.
  • Options
    Hehe, to me, Poppy has always sounded like a nickname for a dad or grandpa, so it's been ruined for me forever. Whatever, though, use it if you like it--once you associate it with your daughter, it won't bother you anymore.

• Options
    Our daughter is named Adelia Poppy and she primarily goes by Poppy- It is an adorable name and fits her personality- very sweet and spunky. Don't let the Papi thing sway you- We live in CO and there is a large hispanic population- plus my new husband is hispanic- and it does not get confused!
  • Options

I don't think it's ruined at all! In fact, I think the reason that someone suggested is pretty far fetched...you should make up your own mind ultimately, it's your baby, and your decision.

Also, I really love your first/middle combo, it's too cute!

BabyFruit Ticker IAmPregnant Ticker
  • Options
    I pronounce them the same and it definitely ruins Poppy...I have a dog named Lolly Pop and at home I often call her Poppy because it's cute but in public I never call her Poppy because I don't want her confused for Papi which I see is different because it's very unlikely that a little girl's name is actually Papi while it is probable for a dog to be named Papi but regardless it ruins the very cute girl name for me.

TTC #1: February 1, 2014
    BFP #1: 2/21/14 EDD: 10/31/14 (my birthday!) MMC: discovered 3/31/14 (blighted ovum) D&C: 4/3/14 at 9w6d

TTC #1 (Round 2): May 16, 2014 

Names | Blog | Chart

"Everybody wants to be happy. Nobody wants to feel pain but you can't have a rainbow without the rain."

• Options
    I wouldn't have thought of the connection
    Anniversary Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic
    3TC March Siggy Challenge: Funny Internet Meme Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Age: Me 26, DH 27, Married Oct. 10, 2009 ,TTC since March 2012
    Problem: Irregular menstruation, unexplained
    Nov&Dec-Provera because of no period after 35+ days
    First RE appt 1/10/2013
    Tests: TSH (normal), Prolactin (normal), SA (abnormal)
    Hysteroscopy (normal) and PCOS labs (negative/normal) 1/15/2013
    2/1/13- HPT BFP but Beta Hcg was negative
    Plan: Femara + Trigger + IUI in April if no real BFP before then Bloggy Blog!
  • Options
    imageshana+chris:

imagenycitygirl1:

This.

+1

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"