April 2012 Moms
Options

Opinions?

Normally when I go to a gas station, if I want to go in and get a bottle of water or something, I lug DS in his carseat in with me. It takes more time though to get that seat out and put it back in than it does to actually go in and come out. Is it okay to leave LO in the car with the doors locked while you just run into the gas station. Obviously would never do this at a grocery store, but a gas station when your only running in for a second. Opinions? 
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Opinions?

• Options
    If you want to risk getting arrested...
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    IMO with all the crazy people out there I wouldn't risk it.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I've been struggling with the same decision. I know it's probably not the best thing to leave them alone in the car. So I've avoided going anywhere like that unless DF is with me. 
  • Options
    gisa886gisa886 member
    Unfortunately it is not ok. 
    i wish i could be joking but my dad is the music teacher at a church so he owuld be mad. we had sex, all the time how bad i know but we dont want to wait and he said GREAT OH KAY! and I was really feeling the wets? down there- too embarsed to say- but he acted like man.
  • Options
    Kdrake8Kdrake8 member

I would not do this. Please take the inconvenience of hooking and unhooking the carseat.  You don't know what could happen in just a minute

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options

imagepurplepolish:

I am a social worker, and I work a lot with CPS. So I know that it is not something that you will get arrested for,  or even get a CPS case brought against you, but it still doesn't make it right.  

• Options
    gisa886gisa886 member
    imagehazysherman11:

imagepurplepolish:

I am a social worker, and I work a lot with CPS. So I know that it is not something that you will get arrested for,  or even get a CPS case brought against you, but it still doesn't make it right.  

Isnt it considered endangering the welfare of a child because of heat?  

i wish i could be joking but my dad is the music teacher at a church so he owuld be mad. we had sex, all the time how bad i know but we dont want to wait and he said GREAT OH KAY! and I was really feeling the wets? down there- too embarsed to say- but he acted like man.
  • Options
    imagegisa886:
    imagehazysherman11:

imagepurplepolish:

If you were to leave them in there for a long time, ie. if you went into a grocery store or something then definitely yes. If you were only gone for 2 minutes, and had the windows down, then no. It is actually surprisingly REALLY sad how hard it is to get a CPS case. They have categories of things. If it isn't in the highest category (ie putting your child's life in danger, extreme abuse or neglect) Than you won't get your child taken away, unless there is a pattern. Even if you were to break an arm or a leg, they wouldn't do anything unless they had multiple complaints against you. It is really sad, but that is how the system works.  

• Options
    I guess I should have said "If you want to risk someone calling the cops on you," which some people definitely will do.  
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

Some gas stations have drive thrus here in my town so this hasn't been an issue. Maybe if you left the baby in the car while the car was still running with the A/C still on while the doors are locked. You would have to carry a spare car key with you though.

• Options

I had a car fire when I was pregnant - with no warning, my car broke into fire after I had parked it at my parents' house for a few minutes. Fortunately no one was in it. 

I will never leave LO in a car after that experience.  

• Options
    I wouldn't.  I don't even leave my 6 y/o in the car to run into the store.  Folks are crazy these days.
  • Options
    imagejamaicam:

I had a car fire when I was pregnant - with no warning, my car broke into fire after I had parked it at my parents' house for a few minutes. Fortunately no one was in it. 

I will never leave LO in a car after that experience.  

HOLY ***!!! That is scary!  

• Options
    imagehazysherman11:
    imagegisa886:
    imagehazysherman11:

imagepurplepolish:

If you were to leave them in there for a long time, ie. if you went into a grocery store or something then definitely yes. If you were only gone for 2 minutes, and had the windows down, then no. It is actually surprisingly REALLY sad how hard it is to get a CPS case. They have categories of things. If it isn't in the highest category (ie putting your child's life in danger, extreme abuse or neglect) Than you won't get your child taken away, unless there is a pattern. Even if you were to break an arm or a leg, they wouldn't do anything unless they had multiple complaints against you. It is really sad, but that is how the system works.  

What Social Service area do you work in? I too am a social worker in Child Protection and we get referrals on people for far less than what you are talking about!  Yes - you probably wouldn't get an open case or your child removed from your care for leaving them in the car for 2 minutes -- but you would damn sure get an investigation slapped on your butt!  We have had investigations on parents who are drug addicts but don't even have their children ---- Granted our intake team is stupid - but at the same time -- you would definitely get a CPS referral for leaving him in the car - I'm sure of it.

BFP #1 - 04/11/2011 - EDD: 12/22/2011 -Natural MC 5/18/2011 @ 8w6d BFP

BFP #2 - 08/12/2011 - EDD: 04/21/2012 1st U/S 9/12/2011 - Healthy baby seen -- Heartbeat at 166!

BFP #3 - 08/02/2014 - EDD: 04/09/2015 ---Prayers for a take home baby

BabyFruit Ticker

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• Options
    Absolutely not. I would never leave my little ones alone in the car. 
  • Options
    eav2ceav2c member
    Never, ever. Not worth the risk. 
  • Options
    Nope, never!!
  • Options
    On the news a couple months ago a lady ran into the gas station to get something and came back out and her car was stolen with her LO inside.  Luckily they dropped the baby off at the hospital several hours later unharmed,but that could have been very bad. I would say doing this is a NO.

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

BabyFruit Ticker

• Options

Honestly...If I saw you leave your baby in the car while you went in the gas station, I'd probably call the cops. If nothing else, I'd stick my nose in your business and tell you that you are endangering your child because you can't be bothered to spend ten seconds getting them out of the car.

Granted, I live in MS, where you can literally cook on your dashboard, so... 

(I realize I sound like a raging b!tch, but leaving your child in a car is incredibly dangerous and there's never a good reason to do it.) 

• Options
    yeah, no. I thought about this when she was a week old. I wanted subway, and you park facing the door, so the car is literally right outside the place and I can see it. but no way. I just lifted the car seat out of the base and carried her in...set it on the floor while in line, clicked the seat back in 4 minutes later. no big deal. of course seeing how easy that was, why wouldn't I just carry her in for the few minutes?
  • Options
    Absolutely NOT.
  • Options

No way- so risky, and you never know what could happen in those few seconds!

Not sure where you live, but here in FL, you can actually get a ticket for leaving your car running somewhere unattended...even though a ticket would probably be the least of your problems in this situation, it's still yet another reason not to do it... 

~Sarah

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

• Options
    nope. never. the safety of your baby is always worth the hassle.
  • Options

i'm failing to understand how unsnapping the car seat is such a huge inconvenience. i'll just say it- you sound lazy. if you can't spend 10 seconds grabbing the seat to bring your child in with you, and would rather leave them unattended in a vehicle, you should probably reassess your priorities.

a few weeks ago in the area i live in, a woman was shot and her baby was taken. people are nuts for babies.

eta: oh and i don't believe you are a social worker.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"