Pregnant after 35

More Stupid Things People Say

I just had my first encounter with a stranger who had an utterly stupid comment.  I'm in the Harley dealer picking up a birthday gift for my hubby when some seriously overweight guy walks up and starts telling me Harleys are overrated and he has some Intruder (great, so why are you in a Harley dealer??).  I just smile and say that's nice, but I still like my Harley and turn to walk my very obvious pregnant self away when he starts telling me that his new girlfriend is talking about wanting kids and she's 32 and really, women shouldn't have kids at all after 28 because they are just too old.

Seriously? 

I couldn't let it go, so I smiled again and told him I'm 37 and pregnant with my first, while patting my very obvious bump.  Oh, and by the way, I'm planning on having a second child when I'm 39/40ish.  

His comment as I was turning away was 'um, you don't look that old'.

What possesses people to talk to complete strangers that way? I find it really, really interesting because I've never had to the urge to share anything personal with someone standing next to me in a store.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: More Stupid Things People Say

• People are rude, strangers or not.  I've had co-workers ask me about my childless state for ages.  I'll be 40 when I deliver.  Like it was any of their business that I wasn't ready at 25, 30, 35.  I actually had one lady say to me, Oh is it that you're too selfish? REALLY? I wanted to say, I might be too selfish, but you're to effin nosy! Ugh. I don't remember what I actually said. But what freakin business is it of theirs?
  • jenlb03jenlb03 member
    Well I turned 40 last week and won't be 41 until I deliver. All my friends are done having kids but we really wanted one more. I expect to get some crazy comments.
    Jen
    Mom to Ava 12.21.04 and Austin 10.22.06
    BFP 12/5/11...natural m/c 12/23/11 Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Ummm, yeah.  That guy has no freaking idea of why people make the choices they do and frankly, he sounds like an ignorant frack.  I'm glad you didn't let it go and that you made him respond to you!  Ha! What an idiot.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Totally stupid, I agree.  But this one? I actually think he was trying to hit on you (I know, gross) and his "new girlfriend" should do some re-thinking.
    me - 41 (dx: DOR); DH - 53 (no problems); 7/18/09 - married!; 8/4/09 - BFP on first (real)try; 9/14/09 - missed m/c; 9/15/09 - d&c; 11/09 - 3/10 - 4 natural cycles = BFN; 4/10 - dx hyperthyroidism caused by Graves' disease; 6/10 - thyroidectomy; 7/10 - 12/10 - 1 natural and 5 medicated IUI cycles = BFN; 1/11 - new RE; dx low ovarian reserve (AMH .42; 1/26/11 -- BFP (ectopic) from IUI #6; methotrexate 2/10/11; 6/2/11 - IVF #1 = BFN; 9/12/11 - prescreening for DE; 9/15/11 - IUI #7 (unmedicated)= BFN; 11/8 - begin DE cycle (shared risk program); 12/5 - ER (5 eggs/4 mature/3 fertilized/2 left by day 5) 12/10 - ET of one 1BB blast (expanded, "fair" quality), none to freeze; 12/22 - totally shocked by +hpt; beta #1 = 413; #2 = 3952 2/14 - CVS reveals a healthy baby girl! EDD: 8/27/12 DD born 8/31/12, 10 lbs 10 oz and perfect in every way. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"