Babies: 3 - 6 Months
Options

Switching to medium flow nipples?

Have any of you made the switch from slow to medium flow nipples?  DD is so distracted these days that she's barely eating.  I'm thinking maybe if the flow is a little faster at least she'll get some more formula in before she gets too distracted to finish.  Just curious if any of you have switched and if you haven't and don't plan on it, why not?

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Switching to medium flow nipples?

• Options
    I switched from Dr. Brown's level 1 to 2 when LO was about 11 wks.  She has never had a problem and she eats a lot faster.  I think if your LO wasn't ready you would know right after you switched.  I think she would choke or gag if it were too much too fast. 

• Options
    I switched from Level 1 to Level 2 (Dr Browns) at 12 weeks.  So far she's still doing fine with the Level 2s
    AVT - 12.2.11

LCT - 5.15.14 ~ 9lbs, 22.5 inches

• Loading the player...
  • Options

imagejenskurnick:
    I switched from Dr. Brown's level 1 to 2 when LO was about 11 wks.  She has never had a problem and she eats a lot faster.  I think if your LO wasn't ready you would know right after you switched.  I think she would choke or gag if it were too much too fast. 

This is what I have heard too.  But,  I have seen a lot of moms post that you shouldn't switch until LO shows that they are frustrated with the flow.  My only question is what are the signs that LO is frustrated with the flow? 

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    AbMurphAbMurph member
    I too switched from Dr. Brown's level 1 to level 2 around 11 weeks. She started fussing/fighting more while I was feeding her. She would kick and I could tell she was getting grumpy. She couldn't get the formula out fast enough. Plus, it started taking her twice as long to finish. I would try switching. If your baby has trouble with it you will see that he/she starts choking on it and spitting it up as the formula enters her mouth. Just start off slow and keep the bottle parallel to the ground so she can control the flow.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image
  • Options
    ZimgerZimger member
    We are going to try this weekend. It takes him longer than 20 minutes to eat, because he is so busy looking around and babbling. I hope the medium flow works better.
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    imagebeth2882:

imagejenskurnick:

This is what I have heard too.  But,  I have seen a lot of moms post that you shouldn't switch until LO shows that they are frustrated with the flow.  My only question is what are the signs that LO is frustrated with the flow? 

For us, she was fussing when she started eating.

• Options
    wychetswychets member
    Yes!! We use Avent so size 1 is NB, size 2 is 0-3 mnths, and size 3 is 3mnth+. We are currently using size 3 it has 3 holes in the nipple. Yesterday I used a size 4 which is 6mnth+ (4holes) because she was screaming her head off & no size 3's were clean and she had no problem with it. A signal for us to change is when she starts sucking really hard which causes bubbles and makes a really loud sucking noise.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    wychetswychets member
    imagejenskurnick:
    imagebeth2882:

imagejenskurnick:

For us, she was fussing when she started eating.

This, our LO would get fussy right after a few sucks!

• Options

We switched to Tommee Tippee Size 2 a couple months ago and it went well. We tried Size 3 a few weeks ago and it didn't go so well. Will probably try size 3 again soon though.

• Options
    We switched to Level 2 (born free) about 3 weeks ago.  It was taking Charlie about 20 minutes to finish a bottle and he just seemed to be working really hard.  Once we switched to Level 2 he was able to finish in about 7-10 minutes.  The only downside is he finishes fast and then cries! I upped the number of ounces that he drinks and he still cries. I think he just liked the comfort of drinking his bottle for so long.
  • Options
    We switched around 3 months b/c LO was taking forever to finish a bottle. Most of the time he would have to suck so long he fell asleep then wouldn't even finish half of it.  We had tried a week before to switch, but he choked and gagged on it.  Then a week later he took it like a pro!

Anniversary

• Options

I use avent bottles and I switched from size 1 to size 2 when he hit about 3 months he was taking way too long to finish a bottle and then I noticed that he was sucking to hard. The only problem I had is my son chokes on everything so I was scared to introduce a new size evern though it was much needed. The first two days he was getting used to it I think it takes babies a couple of days depending to get used to a new flow. Once he realized it was a different flow he was fine he just kinda changed the way he drank the bottle abit more cautious at first. He's 4.5 months and were still at size 2 but were good for now.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"