1st Trimester
Options

Cats

I have a cat and I have stopped changing the litter box, however, should I still get tested for toxoplasmosis?  I am unsure of what to do, my husband currently is changing the litter box.

Re: Cats

• Options
    I know for sure that you should have someone else change the litter box if possible.  If not, they say wear gloves and wash hands immediately.  Toxoplasmosis can be harmful to the baby.  I just want to know if everything else is okay or if there is anything else I need to do.
  • Options

I have had two childern and have had cats i have still changed the box if  my husband for got but if your not doing it you will be fine. dont worry.

Army wife 2 and 1 on the way
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    If you aren't changing it you should be fine. I don't think you need to be tested for it.
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    I have a cat as well and as soon as I found out I was pregnant, I stopped changing her litter. But I think as long as you stopped dealing with it as soon as you found out, you should be fine. Toxoplasmosis is no joke! Best of luck to you!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic BabyFruit Ticker Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • Options
    sesigssesigs member
    I've heard that if you've have a cat for awhile you have most likely already been exposed to toxoplasmosis and are immune to it but definitely bring it up to your doctor! 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Pregnancy tickers BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    When I had my son he tested me for toxoplasmosis because we have 2 cats. During my pregnancy with him my husband changed the pans. During the pregnancy we will do the same.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

imageandreamarie77:
    I have to stop changing my cat's litter box?! I have never heard of this before. Should I just put myself in a bubble for the next 9 months and not come out??

They made this very clear to me at my first OB appointment & I don't have a cat, she just made sure I was aware of the fact I need to avoid it. Cat feces is especially dangerous because of to toxoplasmosis. There was nothing else at my appointment that my doctor was so serious about me avoiding.

ETA OP I'm sure if you're avoiding changing it you're fine.  

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    BabyFruit Ticker
    image Image and video hosting by TinyPic image
    blog
    Diagnosed hypothyroidism.
  • Options
    You only need to worry about toxoplasmosis if your cat is outdoors a lot and hunts, or eats raw meat. You have a greater chance getting toxo from gardening than from cat poop, unless you're eating it. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    mlangsmlangs member

I rarely changed the litter box before. I feed them he cleans after them, but they were his cats before I came along and litter still grosses me out (but I love the cats). My Dr. actually never asked... BF Mom was the one who was most insistent about me not dealing with it. Now I don't even have to clean up if they puke (partially cause once it almost made me puke too, not that they do it often but we have one with a sensitive stomach and if he plays too much after eating he throws up every-time).

Now I read somewhere once that if they use litter everywhere they step could be contaminated... good grief... i do not let that bother me... I know how much they try to avoid their own poop! Yes it is serious if it happens I am not dismissing that, BUT again... you take a risk with each and everything you do every moment of every day... if you are going to freak over it all you are just going to be miserable.

Avoid changing the litter if you can... if not make sure you clean up well afterwards... be safe not stupid but don't let fear take over your life.

• Options
    hmonttyhmontty member

It's primary infections of toxo that you need to worry about (i.e., if you become exposed the first time while you are pregnant). If you have a cat, chances are you have already been exposed.

However, whether or not you have been exposed, it's still a good idea not to change the litter. Staying away from feces and other bodily fluids in general is a good thing when you're pregnant.

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    lmb5109lmb5109 member
    I was tested for toxolasmosis in my pre-TTC appointment and it came back negative. I still change the litter for my 2 indoor cats but I wear a really good mask, wear gloves, and wash my hands a few times during. DH would change it but I like to do it everyday and I'm not sure he would remember to do it. 
  • Options
    imageshanie33:

imagemabenner1:
    You only need to worry about toxoplasmosis if your cat is outdoors a lot and hunts, or eats raw meat. You have a greater chance getting toxo from gardening than from cat poop, unless you're eating it. 

WHOA WHOA WHOA.  Are you telling me cat feces is not part of a well rounded pregnancy diet?!?!

Well, it was for me, but apparently these ladies aren't even going NEAR it, letting alone munching on it Wink

• Options
    BLPL101BLPL101 member
    I have two indoor cats and I'm not concerned about it at all.

BabyFruit Ticker

• Options

imagemabenner1:

This. My cats are indoor cats. I explained this to the doc, and she said that as long as I'm comfortable changing it it's fine. I do cover my face, though, because the dust and ammonia smell bug me. Or I get DH to do it.

I guess technically now I should be SecondBabyMomma Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options

You can stop changing the litter if you want. You only have to worry about it if you have outdoor cats. They pick it up from eating rats and birds n stuff. I personally have indoor cats so I haven't been worried about. Besides...Babe is one of those people that will start gagging and all that if he had to clean the litter. I can't wait to see how he's gonna be changing diapers. LOL

Chances are also if you have grown up with cats, you have already been exposed to it and are probably immune. You can get tested if you like, but I wouldnt worry about it.

Lilybug Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options

I don't even know why this is a big deal.

Tell you DH/SO you are not allowed to do it.

Then you have 9ish months of not having to scoop the poop! Why fight it?

2/12: 100 mg Clomid + Bravelle last minute+ back to back IUI. BFN
    3/12 150mg Clomid + B2B IUI =BFP!! TWINS!
    Vanishing twin at week 6
    Tater-tot born January 3rd 2013

2 IUI's in 2016- BFN
    3 IUI's in 2017- BFN
    8/17 IUI BFP!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    Kie310Kie310 member

I never stopped changing the litter box. Well, that's not true, the first 2 weeks I was home after my c/s my husband did it. But not well. Once I could bend down without pain I started it again.

I have had at least 2 cats in my life since before I was even born. I have never had an outdoor cat. If I was going to ever have toxoplasmosis, I've already had it.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"