October 2012 Moms
Options

** UO Thursday **

Re: ** UO Thursday **

• Options
    imageschafer17:
    imagehboo2011:

Teachers aren't the only ones who could use a summer break. I'll admit, I could NEVER be a teacher. My mom's been a teacher for 30 years, I know it's not easy whatsoever.  But... I know there are some teachers who could NEVER do what I do, either.

I hate this time of year when my fb feed (and my IRL friends and my mom) are literally COUNTING DOWN THE DAYS until summer break, I want to punch them all in their face.

ALL OF THIS!!!  Why do teachers think they are so entitled to a break.  Everyone else's jobs could use a break too! 

Teachers don't think they are entitled to a break - that's just how the system works.  It's not like they went on strike and had picket lines demanding 3 months off. 
    Aaden18mos Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Addie NewbornBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

I also hate The Princess Bride

A small list of other things that I hate...

Olives
    Mint in anything but toothpaste or gum (mint chocolate, mint icecream, bleghhh)
    Facebook Fighting (people arguing with others via statuses)
    Toddlers in Tiaras (and any similar show)
    Arugala
    Homophobia
    Chocolate Oranges
    Beer
    Most things at Taco Bell

...and...

people who judge others on their parenting choices.  Deciding how to raise a child is a VERY personal decision and others should keep their nose out unless invited in.

...I'll stop there before people start thinking that I hate EVERYTHING haha.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers -- Lilypie Second Birthday tickers -- Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    iadanzaiadanza member
    imagebellre:

Now I want bon bons. 

If you were downtown I'd totally bring you some and we could binge eat them together!

imageimage

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    imageAadensMommy2010:
    imageschafer17:
    imagehboo2011:

Teachers aren't the only ones who could use a summer break. I'll admit, I could NEVER be a teacher. My mom's been a teacher for 30 years, I know it's not easy whatsoever.  But... I know there are some teachers who could NEVER do what I do, either.

I hate this time of year when my fb feed (and my IRL friends and my mom) are literally COUNTING DOWN THE DAYS until summer break, I want to punch them all in their face.

ALL OF THIS!!!  Why do teachers think they are so entitled to a break.  Everyone else's jobs could use a break too! 

Teachers don't think they are entitled to a break - that's just how the system works.  It's not like they went on strike and had picket lines demanding 3 months off. 

Yeah, the word entitled is pretty shiitty to me. 

imageBabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    imagePolishWonder:
    imageschafer17:
    imagehboo2011:

Teachers get summers off b/c schools can't afford air conditioning! Also, historically, that's when the planting season was going on and they needed the kids in the fields.

Oh, and GFY. It's incredibly hard to be a teacher and we get sh!t on constantly for our jobs. 

This!  My DH is a teacher and he NEEDS summers off to recover from the school year.  Teachers take so much sh!t from the administration, parents and students through out the year.  It is a seriously high stress job.  If he didn't have summers off, I am positive he would have burned out after 1 year of teaching and left the profession entirely.  Don't judge until you have been there...

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    imagehailyf:
    imagesjgurl784:

I also hate Cheezits and Goldfish. 

BUT WHHHHYYYYYYYYYYYY????

I read your response, and I still like you. It's just kind of like I met an alien. I have never known anyone who doesn't like goldfish! 

What kind of alien are we talkin' here?  This kind: image

Or this kind:

Your answer will determine my level of butthurtness. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    imagebellre:

imageLetsHikeToday:
    My unpopular opinion is if you want summer break, become a freaking teacher. If not, stop complaining that they get it. 

Yes 

YesYesYes 

• Options
    imagePolishWonder:
    imageschafer17:
    imagehboo2011:

Teachers get summers off b/c schools can't afford air conditioning! Also, historically, that's when the planting season was going on and they needed the kids in the fields.

Oh, and GFY. It's incredibly hard to be a teacher and we get sh!t on constantly for our jobs. 

I totally agree.

Also, we're the idiots who choose jobs that require us to work all summer.  Teachers have a very heavy responsibility with relatively little pay. The least they can get is a few extra weeks off.

College Professors on the other hand... 

Also, I love twizzlers. What is wrong w you people? 

imageimageBabyFruit Ticker Oct Angel Babies
  • Options
    imagemeganole25:
    imageBananaBlitz:
    imagedixneuf:

I don't get women who identify themselves via their husband...ie user names like "military wife" etc. You are not who you marry.

This. I get irritated when we get a wedding invite and I'm listed as Mrs. Hisfirstname Ourlastname. I always respond with:  Mr. & Mrs. Hisfirstname and Myfirstname Ourlastname.

I actually love it. My grandmother even sends me birthday cards addressed to Mrs. hisfirstname Ourlastname.

I guess I'm old school. I love being Mrs. Hisfirstname Ourlastname.

I'm also the person who didn't take his last name ASAP, because I was lazy. I switched after we had a kid.

I am backtracking to say it doesn't bother me if someone refers to themselves as a military wife.... I just agreed that I like it when the woman has her own identity too, not just as "his wife."

BabyFruit Ticker
    imageimageimage
  • Options
    iadanzaiadanza member
    imagesjgurl784:
    imagehailyf:
    imagesjgurl784:

I read your response, and I still like you. It's just kind of like I met an alien. I have never known anyone who doesn't like goldfish! 

Or this kind:

Totally not related, but my husband said the u/s of our baby's face looked like the alien from Aliens.  He even put the printed out picture of the u/s next to a picture from Aliens to prove his point...

imageimage

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

Can I also add about the teacher thing that I never ask someone how many vacation days they earn a year. I never ask someone how much they make, if they get Christmas bonuses or if they are about to get a raise.

Why is it okay to comment in teachers' vacation and pay? I don't get that. I don't pretend to know the ins and outs of other peoples jobs so why should someone feel free to comment on mine. For example, football players make millions and get the summers off but I don't question them because I don't KNOW what it takes to be a football player and I'm sure there are shiity parts of the job that I don't know about.

Maybe I should research those on my 3 months off?? 

imageBabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    imageBananaBlitz:
    imagemeganole25:
    imageBananaBlitz:
    imagedixneuf:

I don't get women who identify themselves via their husband...ie user names like "military wife" etc. You are not who you marry.

This. I get irritated when we get a wedding invite and I'm listed as Mrs. Hisfirstname Ourlastname. I always respond with:  Mr. & Mrs. Hisfirstname and Myfirstname Ourlastname.

I actually love it. My grandmother even sends me birthday cards addressed to Mrs. hisfirstname Ourlastname.

I guess I'm old school. I love being Mrs. Hisfirstname Ourlastname.

I'm also the person who didn't take his last name ASAP, because I was lazy. I switched after we had a kid.

I am backtracking to say it doesn't bother me if someone refers to themselves as a military wife.... I just agreed that I like it when the woman has her own identity too, not just as "his wife."

I get you! I do hate when someone considers me only a military wife. I got lots of other things going on too.  

imageBabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Also, most teachers work all summer, either a 2nd job or summer school. Plus, many teachers are taking courses or going to conferences during the summer to continue our education. I spent most of my summers working on curriculum for the district or completing online courses all on my own dime.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    imagesjgurl784:
    imagehailyf:
    imagesjgurl784:

Elllliiiooootttt.

Now, that is a great movie!  

• Options
    imageiadanza:

Totally not related, but my husband said the u/s of our baby's face looked like the alien from Aliens.  He even put the printed out picture of the u/s next to a picture from Aliens to prove his point...

Both of my kids' u/s pics have a striking resemeblence to Skeletor.  But I think they all do.  I was a little worried when I saw that on Aaden's 12-week u/s! 
  • Options
    imagebellre:
    imagesjgurl784:
    imagePolishWonder:
    imageiadanza:
    imagePolishWonder:
    imageiadanza:

I HATE the Princess Bride

You're dead to me! 

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO, Say it ain't so, you're breakin my heart!!!!!! Maybe I'll read the book and like it just so we can be bump buddies again - I just hate the movie!

Seriously, one of my favorite movies ever. I can quote every single line. But I still love you.

Inconceiveable!

You know you all read that in your head using Vizzini's voice.

Now I keep hearing "my name is inigo montoya, you killed my father, prepare to DIE" in my head over and over again... Accent and all! 

Married my best friend 09.18.11
    TTC since 12.10.11, BFP #1 02.10.12
    Baby E born 10/18/12. 8.5lbs and 21in of pure perfection!

My Blogging Endeavors:
    Here Comes Mommy
  • Options
    hpoff33hpoff33 member

I think there are plenty of people out there that work high stress, low paying jobs that deal with equally difficult organizations and administrators.  I can think of quite a few service men and women that deserve whole years of.  So I can't justify that as a reason for teachers to have summers off.  Obviously it is part of their job for reasons that might be fairly antiquated - i.e. the planting, harvesting season.  Regardless, they get it off and good for them.  But I agree with the many other posters in this thread about the countdown that happens this time of year.  It's totally unnecessary and highly annoying.

BabyFruit Ticker

imageimage 

BFP 1/24/2012 - DS Born 9/22/2012 (11 days early!)
    BFP 2/15/2014 - CP 2/19/2014
    BFP 11/4/2014 - Due 7/14/2015
  • Options
    Why don't people just unsubscribe to the teachers who put up a count down? Or unfriend them?
    imageBabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

imageLetsHikeToday:
    Why don't people just unsubscribe to the teachers who put up a count down? Or unfriend them?

Because we're too awesome to deny!

• Options
    imagePolishWonder:

imageLetsHikeToday:

Haha. I mean, I'm sure it's annoying to see a teacher/summer break count down (which I don't do, not to mention I'm unemployed) but it's also annoying to post about babies a lot and there are definitely people who do that.  

imageBabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

I always end up having to defend myself on UO...

1) I wasn't the person who said teachers think they are 'entitled', so I hope not all of those rude comments were directed towards me, especially Polish Wonder saying 'GFY', which, I think, means, go f yourself? Please someone correct me if I'm wrong. If GFY does mean what I think it means, and it was directed towards me, I think that was ridiculously uncalled for. My UO is just a UO. The fact that I think it's annoying when every day since May 1, teachers on my fb have been counting down, doesn't mean I deserve a 'go f yourself'. I think it takes a special person to become a teacher, and I'm well aware I'm not cut out for it. Doesn't mean that I think they need to have a countdown every.single.day for a month before a break.

2) I didn't say ever say teachers didn't deserve it. Actually, I said they do deservce it. Along with a LOT of other professions that don't make much money in a high stress environment.

3) Good thing my UO is just that... an opinion. Everyone's entitled to an opinion.

• Options
    imagehboo2011:

1) I wasn't the person who said teachers think they are 'entitled', so I hope not all of those rude comments were directed towards me, especially Polish Wonder saying 'GFY', which, I think, means, go f yourself? Please someone correct me if I'm wrong. If GFY does mean what I think it means, and it was directed towards me, I think that was ridiculously uncalled for. My UO is just a UO. The fact that I think it's annoying when every day since May 1, teachers on my fb have been counting down, doesn't mean I deserve a 'go f yourself'. I think it takes a special person to become a teacher, and I'm well aware I'm not cut out for it. Doesn't mean that I think they need to have a countdown every.single.day for a month before a break.

2) I didn't say ever say teachers didn't deserve it. Actually, I said they do deservce it. Along with a LOT of other professions that don't make much money in a high stress environment.

3) Good thing my UO is just that... an opinion. Everyone's entitled to an opinion.

I read it as "Good for you" not "Go _____ yourself." My comments, if you took them at rude, weren't meant to be and I didn't direct them at you. I directed them to just everyone in general.

I don't doubt count downs are annoying as shiit but I also don't understand why you wouldn't just unsubscribe to those people. 

imageBabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    imageLetsHikeToday:
    imagePolishWonder:

imageLetsHikeToday:

Haha. I mean, I'm sure it's annoying to see a teacher/summer break count down (which I don't do, not to mention I'm unemployed) but it's also annoying to post about babies a lot and there are definitely people who do that.  

I almost cried of happiness the day I found out I could block people's status updates. It's like, I don't want to delete them permanently b/c who knows, maybe I wanna congratulate them in the future on a fantastic accomplishment. But I have changed the setting to 'only important' on a LOT of people. I like to give people a couple chances. If they post more than once that they're 'cooking dinner!' or 'going to the gym!' or 'my cervix is dilated to 2! my cervix is dilated to 3!' (yes, that actually happened) I fix their profile so I can only see 'important updates'. If I want to creep on you, I'll come find you.

• Options
    imagehboo2011:

I'll apologize for the GFY comment.

I do get insulted when someone says teachers feel "entitled" (your words) to a summer vacation. I spend so much time defending my profession and it's under major attack right now by politics. The whole WI recall is primarily b/c the governor is destroying our educational system. So this is a subject I get fiery passionate about very quickly.

• Options
    imagehpoff33:

I think there are plenty of people out there that work high stress, low paying jobs that deal with equally difficult organizations and administrators.  I can think of quite a few service men and women that deserve whole years of.  So I can't justify that as a reason for teachers to have summers off.  Obviously it is part of their job for reasons that might be fairly antiquated - i.e. the planting, harvesting season.  Regardless, they get it off and good for them.  But I agree with the many other posters in this thread about the countdown that happens this time of year.  It's totally unnecessary and highly annoying.

I totally agree with this statement.  My H is a teacher (he does work at a school that goes year round though with a few weeks off at the beginning and end of the summer session.)   I do generally block those who do the countdowns and whine about school starting up again in September, because it's obnoxious to read. 

BabyFruit Ticker Oct Angel Babies
  • Options
    Ahhh.. Good For You, Go F Yourself... Totally different. Thanks for the clarification =)
  • Options
    imagehboo2011:
    imageLetsHikeToday:
    imagePolishWonder:

imageLetsHikeToday:

I almost cried of happiness the day I found out I could block people's status updates. It's like, I don't want to delete them permanently b/c who knows, maybe I wanna congratulate them in the future on a fantastic accomplishment. But I have changed the setting to 'only important' on a LOT of people. I like to give people a couple chances. If they post more than once that they're 'cooking dinner!' or 'going to the gym!' or 'my cervix is dilated to 2! my cervix is dilated to 3!' (yes, that actually happened) I fix their profile so I can only see 'important updates'. If I want to creep on you, I'll come find you.

Exactly! I'm sure people see school year count downs the same way as I see selling products or posting 1.3 million pictures of their kids. Annoying? Yes! Can I block them? YES!

I actually went on a facebook unfriending spree two days ago. I got rid of about 200 people and it felt good! 

imageBabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    AMT1107AMT1107 member
    I can't stand it when people refer to their belly as their stomach.  Your stomach is inside your body where the food goes, your belly is growing because you have a baby in there!
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    imageschafer17:
    imagehboo2011:

PolishWonder--- Thank you for apologizing for the GFY (which DOES mean what I thought!!! I'm awesome at acronyms!), especially b/c you said you did say it to me, but as you'll see above, no where in my OP did I say that teachers think they're 'entitled'. It was the poster after me to said the entitled comment.

• Options
    imagehboo2011:
    imageschafer17:
    imagehboo2011:

PolishWonder--- Thank you for apologizing for the GFY (which DOES mean what I thought!!! I'm awesome at acronyms!), especially b/c you said you did say it to me, but as you'll see above, no where in my OP did I say that teachers think they're 'entitled'. It was the poster after me to said the entitled comment.

OMG!! I'm so so sorry!! I totally effed that up! I'm so sorry, hboo!! ::passes plate of chocolate cookies along with more apologies::

Hey, schafer...GFY! Stick out tongue

• Options

imageAadensMommy2010:
    imageLetsHikeToday:
    My unpopular opinion is if you want summer break, become a freaking teacher. If not, stop complaining that they get it. 
    I agree.  Being a teacher is a thankless job.  They get put throught the ringer constantly and still return each day to teach our children.  I am not a teacher, but I am married to one.  It's amazing the crap they have to put up with! 

I teach HS. It's kind of like this.....

imagine that you have 30 people in your office all at once. for 7.5 hours a day. going through puberty.

I think our breaks are awesome. Otherwise we start losing our minds. It is safer for society that way.

• Options

Only if you give me a glass of ice cold milk, as well.

Oh, and tell me how cute my puppies are. B/c seriously. Look at them. I like posting just so I can see their picture pop up.

• Options
    imagesjgurl784:
    imagehailyf:
    imagesjgurl784:

Or this kind:

The cute kind. Do your fingers glow? Because that'd be awesome.

• Options
    imagehboo2011:

Oh, and tell me how cute my puppies are. B/c seriously. Look at them. I like posting just so I can see their picture pop up.

Squee!! I lurve your puppies! You'll have to rehome that pitbull looking one, though. Baby could attack it.

• Options
    imagehailyf:

The cute kind. Do your fingers glow? Because that'd be awesome.

No, but I can do a pretty good "Ouuuuccchh".

And for good measure:

• Options
    imagePolishWonder:
    imagehboo2011:

Squee!! I lurve your puppies! You'll have to rehome that pitbull looking one, though. Baby could attack it.

::nods solemnly::

Babies can be ferocious if not trained properly. 

• Options
    imagePolishWonder:
    imagehboo2011:

Totally. Baby will attack it, and the dog will just lick the crap outta the baby. Literally... They both have demolished a pile or two out in the backyard.

• Options
    imagehboo2011:
    imagePolishWonder:
    imagehboo2011:

Totally. Baby will attack it, and the dog will just lick the crap outta the baby. Literally... They both have demolished a pile or two out in the backyard.

LOL! Wait until they eat the baby's socks and your yard is filled with colorful poop.

• Options
    bellrebellre member
    imageiadanza:
    imagebellre:

Now I want bon bons. 

If you were downtown I'd totally bring you some and we could binge eat them together!

Ugh...of course I work on the east side and am nowhere near you! I'm too lazy to go home and make some...but, where do I buy them?

Remembering my angel baby, Ezekiel, 09/03/2011...you will forever be in my heart.

Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

• Options
    imagemrs.ike:
    imagedixneuf:

i made my username when i was on TK and planning my wedding. I was excited about getting to use Mrs. before my name. :) LOL

I'm similar to you.  I made my name on the knot and never switched it.  

Well, we're on our way to 3 kids, 3 and under.
                        Set to welcome the craziness in April 2014!

imageimage
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"