June 2012 Moms
Options

heartburn and hair

I just read in Fit Pregnancy that if you experience bad heartburn a lot during pregnancy that your baby will be born with hair. They say it's not a myth and that the same hormone that relaxes your esophagus is also responsible for fetal hair growth. Did anyone have heartburn and have a baby with lots of hair? I always thought this was a myth.

Re: heartburn and hair

• Options
    I think its a myth... BUT with DD I had horrible heart burn with my pregnancy in 1st tri and 3rd tri and she had tons of hair.  This time no heart burn (except at night if I eat anything with onions or peppers) in the 3rd tri.  Not sure how baby will turn out
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I guess I'll wait and see :-) I've had horrible acid reflux since the 2nd trimester and I NEVER had heartburn or acid reflux in my life. Strangely milk does a number on me, especially late at night. I had one of those 3D ultrasounds at 28 weeks and the technician said that he has tons of hair, I didn't really see it though.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    That's funny because when I complained to my Dr.'s nurse about heartburn, she asked if I liked to brush hair.  Needless to say, I was totally confused by her comment.  Then she said it's a old-wives tale that heartburn = hair.  We just laughed it off.  But when I had my U/S later that morning, the tech said "Wow!  See all the fuzzy stuff around her head?  That all hair and she's got a lot of it!"  Guess we'll know for sure in a few weeks!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

I have also heard that this is not a myth. I didn't have heartburn at all with DD and she had a ton of hair, and I don't have heartburn with this pregnancy either. The u/s tech also said that she saw lots of hair with this baby. 

It was the 3D u/s tech that had told me about the hormone that produces the hair is what gives most women heartburn. I told her that I didn't have any heartburn at all with either pregnancy and she said that some women have a high tolerance for the hormone and can handle it well. So we'll see! 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    We have an u/s pic that shows DS with a lot of hair...looks like a mohawk lol. But honestly I chalk it up to genetics....DH is Peruvian and his whole family has very dark and thick hair. I also have Acid Reflux disease so I doubt having that made DS have lots of hair. My mom also has acid reflux disease and I was born almost completely bald.
  • Options
    I did not have heartburn with DD and she had a ton of hair when she was born.
  • Options
    I've also heard that its not a myth because of the hormone. I'll see how it works for me personally soon. I had almost no heartburn with DS and he was bald for the first 6 months. The this baby, I've had awful heartburn from week 18 or so. I hope she's got hair, otherwise I give up!
    Photobucket
    Nursed without dairy, egg, soy, peanut, treenut, fish, shellfish or beef for over a year.
    Currently tandem nursing dairy, egg, and shellfish free.
    DS born via emergency c/s after 20 hrs of labor. DD successful VBAC!
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Follow Me on Pinterest

Learning Liam
  • Options

I had a TON of heartburn with both of my boys and they came out with a head full of hair!!! I have it with this one too so we'll see I guess...

• Options
    My Mom had a ton of heartburn with me and I was, well, a rather furry baby :)  Head full of black hair, but I had hair on my shoulders :P  (It fell out, and I wasn't born early.)  I've had a lot of heartburn with this pregnancy, so I wonder if it's going to hold true.  I could do without the fuzzy shoulders though.
  • Options
    I've had HORRIBLE heartburn/acid reflux with every pregnancy and every last one of my kiddos (3 so far) were born as bald as can be. SO the truth behind all of this is kinda sketchy to me. Seems like it would be more genetics related than anything else. Confused
    BabyName Ticker image IAmPregnant Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    jc0n15jc0n15 member
    I have acid reflex but not heartburn. According to my ultrasound my LO has lots of hair. However the only time I really get acid reflex bad is when I get to work, I don't think the baby likes to come into work.
  • Options
    My SIL had terrible heartburn and her baby girl was born with TONS of dark hair. I've never seen that much hair on a baby.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I had HORRIBLE heartburn with DS. I was up a lot in the night and it was pure misery. However, he was born with barely any hair! He got his first hair cut at 18 months, if that gives any indication about how thin it was. It still isn't very thick! Both DH and I have pretty thick hair so it was kind of weird.
  • Options
    I had bad heartburn last time and got annoyed when people told me it meant she'd have a lot of hair, but then...she actually did! lol.  This time, I've had it bad too and was able to see on my last u/s that this one also has a lot of hair. So...I guess now I believe it! :-)
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I took a fair number of Tums but never needed to take prescription meds with DD, and she was born with a fair amount of hair.  This time, I've had a lot of acid but not really heartburn, so we will see.
  • Options
    It was totally true for me, I had excruciating heartburn and and my babies had full heads of hair! It made it worth it for me, I was so happy to see all the hair!
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Options
    I've heard this too, but if our latest US was correct then it's not true for me - the tech said that she has a lot of hair, but I barely had any heartburn. I guess we'll see when she actually comes out!
  • Options
    khill86khill86 member

I, too, have heard the "myth" and then later read that it wasn't totally inaccurate, but obviously not a guarantee. Any of my friends that had terrible heartburn really did have babies with lots of hair.

I've never experience heartburn in my life, but I think I've been getting a little bit of it in the last few weeks. Obviously it's not bad enough for me to be sure that it's even heartburn! It's definitely not intolerable, but I wonder if that means the baby will have hair.

As for the ladies that said their US techs mentioned hair, I had a friend that had twin girls and the US techs mentioned their hair at every single ultrasound she had. Well both of her babies were born with the tiniest, itty bitty amount of blonde fuzz, and 7 months later, they are still bald!

• Options

I think there's some truth to it, though, as PP said, it's not a guarantee as there are other important factors. 

I've never had heartburn or reflux in my life (including pregnancy), and my DS and DD were very bald at birth. I've had none this pregnancy either, and am fully expecting another bald LO (though I don't deny I'd love to see some hair!)

Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I am a FTM so I can't speak from experience, but at my 34 wk u/s the tech thought baby may have some hair. I have not experienced any heartburn. My mom said her heartburn was the worst with me (of 4 kids) and I was born bald and stayed that way for two years!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Anniversary
  • Options
    I had bad hb, and my baby has a full head of hair. 

can't get the ticker to work, but I have two sons:

Baby RJ, born 1/25/2014

Formerly Twilightmv
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"