Babies: 0 - 3 Months
Options

Echogenic intracardiac focus (EIF)

Visiting from the 2nd trimester board...congratulations new Moms!!! 

Did anyone have a echogenic intracardiac focus (EIF) on their anatomy ultrasound & can put my mind at ease that is common?

My risk for Downs based in the 1st & 2nd trimester screening was 1 in 10,000, but my recent ultrasound has me anxious.

Thanks so much!

Re: Echogenic intracardiac focus (EIF)

• Options
    My baby had the exact same thing. Changed my odds from 1 in 10000 to 1 in 5000. I worried for a few days. Baby girl is perfectly healthy! I think they are able to see so much more on sonogram these days. I think your baby will be fine. Don't lose sleep over it.
  • Options

My son had an EIF that was discovered at my 20 week ultrasound.  They sent me for a level 2 ultrasound which stressed me out even more.  The doctor at the level 2 told me my risk for downs was 1 in 360.  He told me the only way to be sure was to have an amnio. 

DH helped put my mind at ease by saying "the chances of our baby having downs are the same as your chances of guessing this doctor's birthday".

I didn't want to risk the amnio and risk miscarriage of a perfectly healthy baby.

Zach was born perfectly healthy.  He is a crazy busy almost 2 year old boy now.

Also, in the Asian community EIF's are so common they don't even order a level 2 for them.  So why do they worry so much in other communities?  I have no idea...but try not to let it bother you too much.  Odds are definitely in your favor.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker My birthson who came before I was ready. He doesn't call me mom but I love him just the same. ~7/10/99~
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    zrolsenzrolsen member
    Had the same thing!! It turned out to be nothing!! Don't worry! My nephew has downs and is the most amazing little guy in the world. Either way you are blessed! 
  • Options
    I had the same thing and my healthy baby boy is now 3 months old!  I guess it is super common, like 5% of all healthy baby's have it.  Try not to worry! 
  • Options
    JVS311JVS311 member

Thank you all so much for the encouraging stories! I agree that there are much worse things than Downs. Just wish it occured in like 50% rather than 5% of healthy babies! I am trying to focus on other things, but it is so hard (I am a worrier anyway).

• Options
    Mine was exactly the same (almost identical odds).  My baby girl was born perfectly healthy 1 wk late at 7 lbs 13 oz and 21 inches.  No effects of the EIF or any abnormality.  
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"