C-sections

getting used to the idea

Yesterday, my OB scheduled my c-section for 6/8. My LO is in the 97% for size and is on course to be 10lbs or more. The earliest they induce or section is week 39, so rather than risk him or me (I have some female issues in the past) they decided to do the section.

I'm nervous. I can understand the many reasons this is the right thing to do, but this will be the most invasive operation I've ever had. I have some questions that maybe someone can answer here before my next OB appt.

1) How weird is it being awake for a major surgery? Did you feel panic when there was "pressure" and "tugging"?

2) In a non-emergency situation, how respectful are hospital staff of a birth plan? I was told I could start BF on the table, and I am so afraid of missing out on bonding time because I'm strapped there immobile.

3) Is DH and LO allowed in the recovery area and how long are you usually in there for?

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Re: getting used to the idea

• All of these questions depend on your individual hospital.

I did not feel anything at all during surgery. I had an unplanned c/s. I wasn't really thinking about much of anything. I remember feeling nauseated for a minute and then the nurse anesthetist gave me something for that and then I remember just listening for DD. I heard her cry and was very happy! 

I was not allowed to BF on the table or even attempt to hold LO, though DH did hold her near my head. It really sucked to only see about two inches of her face. I didn't see her at all until she was all bundled up. They didn't even hold her over the curtain.

DH could have been in recovery, but DD was not allowed, so they both went to the nursery.  

I didn't get to hold DD until about 3 hours after she was born. BFing has gone fine. However, if I have another LO it sure as heck wont' be at that awful hospital. 

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickersLilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

• 1. It was a bit weird being awake for the c-section, and I felt more of the tugging sensation than I expected (no pain though). However, I delivered DD1 vaginally and had to have an emergency D&C after under general anesthesia. I'd hands-down choose the c-section!

2.  I didn't have a birth plan and my c-section was unplanned (DD didn't tolerate induction). If I were to do it again, the things that I'd request would be to not have my arms restrained during the surgery, to have DH with DD at all times, and to BF in recovery.

3.  DH was with DD the whole time. She was 5 weeks early so she spent a bit of time with the NICU staff before I got to see her. She came out feisty and wanted to eat right away, so my OB requested that I be able to BF in the recovery area. I feel like this made my experience way better. I will always cherish that bonding time! So to answer your question, DH was with me unless DD was elsewhere. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Loading the player...
  • llizzybllizzyb member

1) It went so fast. It's really such a fast surgery, and once they show your your LO and you hear him cry, you will not pay attention to what they're doing to you. Even the tugging and pressure didn't seem to last long at all before he was out.

2) After they got my son out, they cleaned him up right there in the OR. Then they wrapped him up and sent him back to our room with DH. It took maybe 15 minutes to finish stitching me up and then they wheeled me back to our room. The nurses immediately helped me do skin to skin and attempt to breastfeed. He didn't leave my chest for hours after that :) So, we were apart for maybe 15 minutes? 

3) No recovery area at my hospital. I recovered in my room on the antepartum side of the unit. I was moved to the postpartum side after a few hours.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I didn't feel a thing during mine. I also told the doc not to tell me anything other than "baby is out and is great!".

You can ask the hospital staff the BF questions and recovery room questions during your hospital tour or ask your ob. They are usually familiar with the hospital regulations.

IAmPregnant Ticker
  • Mine was an emergency c/s because DD was in distress, but I didn't think it was "weird" being awake.  I'm glad I wasn't put under like a lot of emer c/s, because I got to hear her first cry ans see her for a min before they took her to NICU.  The pressure was just a strange feeling, I wasn't panicy.  It was painful for me when they pulled her out though.  Not sure what it was but I got a shooting pain from my abdomin to my left shoulder, but then it was over a second later. 

Make sure you let the staff know you want to BF rightaway, I have got the impression that a lot of places will let you if they know thats what you want.  But it's totally based on your hospitals policy. 

Again, recovery is based on the hospital.  After DD was out and about to be taken to the NICU, DH was told he could stay with me, or go with DD.  I told him I was fine and he needed to go with DD, so I was alone in recovery.

BFP #1 August 2007, Lost Nov 2007, no heartbeat found at anatomy ultrasound at 19 wks
    BFP #2 March 2011, Baby Girl born November 2011!!!
  • kms34kms34 member

1.  I felt some tugging and pulling but no pain. I just talked to DH and he distracted me until DS2 was out.  Then it was all eyes on him.

2.  I wasn't strapped down but I wasn't given the option to BF on the table.  I wouldn't have wanted to anyway.  They cleaned DS up while DH was with him and then DH brought him over to me.  We sat there together as they stitched me up. 

3.  Both DH and DS went with me to recovery.  I was really weak and shaky from the meds so I couldnt' hold him but DH kept him near me and I was able to hold him on my own a few hours later.

All in all, my c/s was better than my vaginal delivery...hands down!

* DS1...allergic to dairy, peanuts, eggs and turkey *

love is for every her, love is for every him, love is for everyone
  • Tippy05Tippy05 member

I had 2 CS, both were emergency sections.  I didn't feel any pain during either surgery, but major tugging and pulling.  Lots of pressure.  I wasn't able to hold either son after surgery, but they were given to DH right away.  He also went with them to recovery while I was being sewn up.  I wasn't able to start BF until I was in recovery as my arms were strapped down.

• 1) How weird is it being awake for a major surgery? Did you feel panic when there was "pressure" and "tugging"?

I am not going to lie. I was a little freaked out about this prior to my rcs last week (I was under for my first). It scared me to death. In the end it was nothing at all. Yes I could feel what was going on and hear what was going on but I felt no pain what so ever. I did have what my doctor called a "Hot Spot" where I did feel some pain but it was not pain that made me scream it was more of just a sore type of pain and that was at the end when I was almost done. The pressure of them pushing on your belly to get the baby out only lasts a few seconds to a minute and it feels like a large elephant is on you chest but again only for a few seconds and nothing to panic about. Overall I was surprised at how easy it was.

2) In a non-emergency situation, how respectful are hospital staff of a birth plan? I was told I could start BF on the table, and I am so afraid of missing out on bonding time because I'm strapped there immobile.

This depends on hospital policy. I was not allowed to hold my baby in the OR, my arms where strapped down. But DH was able to bring him right to me and hold him for a few seconds, but DS was having some breathing problems and needed to go to the NICU for observation.Other than that he would have been by me the entire time. I would have been able to hold him while being wheeled back to my room. For me there was also no need for a birth plan as the nurses asked me all the right questions. If they did not ask I just told them what we wanted.

3) Is DH and LO allowed in the recovery area and how long are you usually in there for?

Again it depends on the hospital. At the hospital I was at there is no recovery room for c-sections. They take you right back to your room where the nurses check in on you at certain intervals. For me it was every 15 minutes for an hour and then every 30 minutes for an hour and then every hour until I was able to get up and walk on my own. Then it was every few hours unless I called them for something like pain meds. However I did not need pain meds for the first 24 hours due to medication they put in my spinal.

• 1) i did not feel any tugging at all even though they told me when they were going to push to get her out. you're on drugs so you'll be slightly out of it and not really panicky... esp if you have your SO with you holding your hand.

2) my only request - and I was soooo anal about telling everyone who would listen - was to have her in recovery and BF right away. they were like "oh of course!" and that's what we did. as soon as the pedi checked her over and they had her dressed they put her on me and she was chewing on my boob... :) it was really cool. I would imagine the hospital will requect your wishes, just make sure you don't wish for stuff that's unreasonable or risky for baby.

3) yes and yes. I was there for about an hour I think, not sure, I was a little out of if from emotions. Just until the numbness in my legs wore off.

I had a very good experience overall.

• The weirdest part for me was receiving the spinal. I was really nervous about losing all feeling in the lower half of my body. It turned out not to be as horrible as I thought it would be. As the fluid was being injected, my right leg reflexed in response and kicked one of my nurses in the thigh. We all laughted, and that actually helped me relax!

For me, the pulling and tugging were not a bother because I was so anxiously anticipating LO's arrival I really couldn't think of anything else.

As far as the birth plan, it really depends on the hospital's policies. You will find a wide range of experiences here on this board. Try to find out as much as you can beforehand so there are no surprises and so that you have an opportunity to discuss them with your OB. Many hospitals will defer to the OBs, so if your OB is on board with your plan you will probably have an easier time of getting what you want in the hospital.

My experience was pretty good. I was able to hold LO in the operating room after he was wiped down, checked and bundled up. I was not allowed to breastfeed on the table. DH went with LO and the nurses to recovery while I was stitched up; I followed about 15 minutes later and breastfed immediately. LO was with me the entire time in recovery (about 2 hours) before we all moved to our mother/baby room together.

• You know what you could do...  I am in the same situation and I am going to do this.  I am going to have a list of questions for my next Dr appointment.  It's your right to know completly how this process works. 

I would also talk about a birthplan.  I did find online some great c-section birthplan templates. My biggest concern is knowing my LO has skin to skin.  If I can't give it to her, my DH will.  We will make it clear we want him to be with the baby at all times. 

Here's what I've come to realize.  A cesarean birth is a birth, its your baby's birth.

imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"