Food Allergy
Options

4 month old slight sensitivity to peanuts

DS is 4 months and we recently had a RAST blood test done because he had gotten some hives a few times on his back and chest after feedings.  He is EBF and I have been avoiding dairy and soy since I thought he was sensitive to those as he has mucous and flecks of blood in his diapers off and on. 

Anyway, the pedi said today that he has a slight sensitivity to peanuts but everything else tested was negative.  He told me to avoid eating peanuts for now and we'll wait and see what happens.  I am really praying he outgrows this because it sounds so scary to me.  I guess we'll retest in a few months. 

Anyone else have an infant diagnosed with peanut sensitivity?  Is this the same as allergy?  Is there hope that he'll outgrow it?  

I am glad to see there is a food allergy board here.  :)   Thanks for reading...

Re: 4 month old slight sensitivity to peanuts

• Options

My understanding is if it registered on the RAST it's an allergy.  But it could be a false positive, 

A follow up test at one year would be a good idea. 

My twins are 5! My baby is 3!

DS#2 - Allergic to Cashew, Pistachio, Kiwi

DS#3 - Allergic to Milk, Egg, Peanut, Tree Nuts and Sesame

• Options

My understanding is that there is always hope for outgrowing the allergy, but peanuts are less likely to be outgrown.

That said, I agree with PP that a low RAST score is still an allergy, and the score is not an indicator of severity. (We had a very severe reaction to dairy, but our RAST score was a 2 out of possible 6 - low score but big outcome).

Did you get a skin test done? You might have some false negatives in there if you are still concerned about the dairy and soy.

Mom to E, 11/2011 - Severe egg & dairy allergies, soy intolerance *** Stepmom to G, 2001
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"