Natural Birth

Huge baby...

Hello!

This is my 1st time posting on this board...

Anywho, today I went for an ultrasound (I'm currently 36 weeks) and the tech said my baby weighs 8 lbs 10 oz. Mind you, I nearly fell off the bed! I know these things are estimates, but at 36 weeks, this sounds huge!

My doctor said he will not make any decisions until 38 weeks. I really want to have a vaginal delivery, but a c-section is looking very likely. I'm going to try all the way to have him naturally. If I wait til 40 weeks it would be less likely to have him naturally. 

Anyone give birth to a relatively big baby?  If so, how big? 

I feel bummed. I know that no matter what, what's important is that baby is healthy, but I am really looking forward to pushing him out.  

Re: Huge baby...

• drpaynedrpayne member
    Those estimates are wrong all of the time. Ladies are told they are going to have a 13 lb baby, only to deliver an average sized LO. Try not to worry!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • trojastrojas member

imagedrpayne:
    Those estimates are wrong all of the time. Ladies are told they are going to have a 13 lb baby, only to deliver an average sized LO. Try not to worry!

I will, but its hard.

Thanks. 

• Loading the player...
  • atcwagatcwag member

Unless you have any underlying issues that would lead to an excessively large baby, I am on board with the theory that your body won't make a baby that you can't handle....

Check out this article:
    https://health.yahoo.net/articles/pregnancy/what-reject-when-youre-expecting
    It has a section on why late-pregnancy ultrasounds are unecessary and lead to moms feeling this way all the time. 

I know of 2 women specifically that were told they were going to have "large" babies and ended up having 7-8 pounders....it happens all the time!  I wouldn't worry.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • I agree. Late (in pregnancy) u/s are poor at estimating weight and dates.  

BTW I successfully deliver a 10lb 3oz baby vaginally. Because of a late u/s at 20 weeks, the OB wanted to knock off 5 weeks EDD.  I knew this was hogwash. I did have quickening 3 week earlier than usual. I suggested he knock off only 3 weeks.

Long story made short: I switch providers. My son was born 3 days shy of new EDD I suggested (and 16 days past the EDD the OB suggested)

I funny thing is that the 20 week u/s report had a error margin of +/- 16 days. As I already said my son was born 16 days past the EDD on the report. 

Perhaps you can ask to see the margin of error on your u/s report.  

BabyFetus Ticker

Birth is safe as life gets - Harriette Hartigan

• Just noticed that you live in South Florida.  The last I heard South Florida has a very high C-sec rate.  I think The Birth Survey might have a link that can give you the C-Section rates in your area. 

https://www.thebirthsurvey.com

BabyFetus Ticker

Birth is safe as life gets - Harriette Hartigan

• dd1 was 9 lbs. dd2 was 10lbs.

both were easy births. dd1 needed 2 stitches. dd2 needed no stitches and came very quickly.

position is more important than size. 

Elizabeth 5yrs old Jane 3yrs old

• My son was 6lbs13oz (at 36 weeks) and my daughter was 9lbs. I honestly didn't notice any difference in how difficult the birth was. Position is more important. Also, the margin of error is usually about 2 lbs on those tests, so you could have a 6 lb baby in there.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I just had a 10 lb 10 oz baby at home 3.5 months ago and didn't even tear.  My entire labor was only 12 hours long.  My first was 9 lbs 15 oz.  I wouldn't change a thing about either of my beautiful girls. 

It is very rare for a baby to actually be too big to fit.  Those estimates are off all the time and the ACOG actually recommends against inductions/c-sections based on "big" baby predictions...because it is not a medical reason for inductions or c-sections.

Have faith in your body that it is growing the right sized baby for you...and if your OB gives you a hard time ask him why he thinks he knows better than the ACOG.

Honestly your care provider does not sound very knowledgeable or supportive of natural birth...I know it is late in the game, but could you find someone else?

GL 

Lilypie - (ZESJ)Lilypie - (QAi1)

• I know several people who gave birth to 9 pounders with relatively easy recoveries.
    imageimage
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • The ACOG does not recommend having a cs based solely on the estimated weight of baby. If you are getting pressured already at 36w, I would consider switching providers. My OB office all told me about my "monster baby" and how huge he was. He was born at 39w1d at 7lb5oz. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

It takes a special amount of bitch to induce menstruation in another person. - LovelyRitaMeterMaid

Rap Roller
  • Also, like PP said, I read that Miami has some of the highest CS rates in the country. That alone would make me weary...

It takes a special amount of bitch to induce menstruation in another person. - LovelyRitaMeterMaid

Rap Roller
  • As PP have mentioned it is very likely that the U/S is off. I was 36 weeks when my Doctor started to say my baby would be over 10 pounds and that I would need to have c-section. She started to throw induction at me. I decided to actually switch doctors(not suggesting you do this) because of this and other intimidating tactics. My baby was born at 8 pounds 4 ounces. I am so happy I was not scared into a c-section or induced at 39 weeks-which probably would end up in a c-section. I was in labor for 30 hours and pushed four about two. I see it as the hardest yet most rewarding experience of my life. Would not trade it for the world and will with out a doubt do it again. Trust yourself you can do it. Your body is made to deliver babies.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • ACOG (American College of OBs and Gyns) never recommends an induction for baby size issues.  If you do not have GD, it only recommends a c-section for baby size if baby is measuring over 11lbs.  You baby is measuring well below that.  Also, as PP said, ultrasound measurements can be very far off.

Based on these recommendations (put forth by a panel of conservative OBs) I wouldn't agree to an induction in your situation.  I had a friend who's baby was measuring big all along.  She went into labor at 37 weeks and had a beautiful, uncomplicated water birth with an average sized healthy baby. 

BFP#2:  EDD 2/11/14, MMC confirmed 7/15/13 (growth stopped at 6 weeks), D&C @ 12 weeks 7/25/13

• caralckcaralck member
    I mentioned to my OB that my family on average has babies in the high 8s low 9s lbs range.  His response was a jokingly "I'm sorry."  Then he said that babies come out the usual way that big all the time.  Big babies are not a reason for an automatic c-section so I was very happy to hear that he wouldn't force me into one.  You don't have to have the c-section if you don't want to.  Give labor a try! Either your baby won't be that big and come out just fine or you'll find that baby won't come through and they can do a section at that time.  these things do not need to be nor should they be planned based on an ultrasound estimate.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • BLuvsEBLuvsE member

The way the 'weigh' the baby via US is to try to measure how much fluid is in the amniotic sac + obviously the baby's measurements. However, the way they measure the fluid is similar to if your husband wanted to measure how much water is in the bathtub with you and he is looking from the bottom up (of course in a clear tub). He would be able to see 'pockets' of water, but would have no idea how much water is above you to be able to accurately measure. Same thing when they say there's not enough fluid. It's an educated guess.

From what I understand, these measurements are usually wrong.

11/27/12
    First Child born

5/5/14 and 6/5/14
    Twins born into Heaven 
    BFP - 4/6/14, due date 12/8/14. First twin M/C at home - 5/5/14, Second twin D&C - 6/5/14

11/14
    Chemical Pregnancy

9/5/15
    Second after severe bleeding for 18 weeks due to subchorionic hematoma

Currently
    Expecting Number 3 due 10/31/2020
  • My son was born at 39w 3d weighing 8lbs 12oz. I had a tiny internal tear that I never felt during recovery. I think that tear happened because my son came out so quickly, not because of his size. I wouldn't worry about your baby's size. He'll be just the right size for him, and your body is perfectly capable of handling it. (The exceptions to this would be underlying other issues that would cause a very large baby like GD.)
  • Even if the weight estimate is accurate (which it probably isn't) the additional ounces or pound are not going to be concentrated in the head, they will be distributed throughout the baby.

My babes were medium: 8lbs8oz each.  My SIL gave birth to 3 kids med-free, the largest being nearly 12 pounds.

promised myself I'd retire when I turned gold, and yet here I am
  • trojastrojas member

Thank you for all your stories and input. 

I will not lose hope for a vaginal delivery! 

• erb82erb82 member
    One more positive big baby story for you: I just delivered a 8lb 15oz baby naturally, and I'm only 5 feet tall and normally weigh around 100 lbs.  I have no idea how a baby that big fit inside me, but delivery was completely complication-free and recovery has been great. I had a second degree tear, but I think that was more due to pushing her out in under 5 minutes.
  • I had a 9 pound 2 ounce baby. My whole labor and delivery was 4 hours. I did tear pretty badly, and it hurt but that was the hardest part.. and even that wasn't that hard. Recovery was pretty fast (had several stitches). So I wouldn't worry much about it. I also delivered my son 11 days early, so I can only imagine how much bigger he would've got! lol Just remember your body is made to do these things!
    "Before cancer I just lived, now I LIVESTRONG"- Lance Armstrong. Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Oh gosh, I know lots of gals that were told something similar then they had very normal sized babies, myself included! My OB / sono tech kinda freaked me out when I was pregnant with DS and made comments all throughout 3rd tri like "oh he's measuring quite large", "we may want to discuss a CS for you" or "looks like he'll be a big one". My son was born the day after his due date and weighed 7lbs 15oz....a very normal size. Don't let them scare you because the measurements so late in pregnancy are very unreliable.

EDITEDEVERLYBEAUTYSHOT565923_751707052852_1602485043_n_zps74c305a1 photo EDITEDEVERLYBEAUTYSHOT565923_751707052852_1602485043_n_zps74c305a1-1_zps6c64b4ff.jpg Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imagetrojas:

Thank you for all your stories and input. 

I will not lose hope for a vaginal delivery! 

I wouldn't even think about it! As so many others have said, those estimates mean nothing. They estimated my DS at 7.5lbs and he came out perfectly 9lbs 9oz 22 inches. My DD, who I just had naturally came out 9lbs 1oz 21 inches with no tearing. She came out in just a couple of pushes. I am a slender girl and delivered two bigger babies with no problems.

• Am I the only one that's bothered by doctors that say this to their patients? Every single time I've heard about a pregnant woman being worried about having a big baby because of what their doctor said, the baby is never born that big. Honestly he shouldn't be pushing you toward a c-section already. A big baby is no reason to have a c-section anyway. C-section should be used for medical emergencies. It's extremely rare for a woman's body to grow a baby too big to deliver.

In case this baby is on the bigger side (which it probably isn't), remember positions during labor and deliver make a HUGE difference in the size of your pelvis. Laying on your bed is quite possibly one of the worst positions you can be in when pushing out a large baby.
    BabyFruit Ticker

photo 1d770d91-53d1-4538-bdc8-2350dc996755.jpg 
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

BFP #1 - 8.23.11 | EDD 5.4.12 | Natural MC 11w6d
    BFP #2 - 2.27.12 | EDD 11.9.12 | DD #1- 11.2.12!!
    BFP #3 - 4.12.14 | EDD 12.24.14
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"