November 2011 Moms
Options

Anyone still swaddle, or did we miss the boat?

I think DD's sleep is one of the biggest screw ups we have made as parents.  We have swaddled with a sleep sack from day 1 and the sack works wonders.  It calms her down, and almost puts her in a sleep trance. 

When DD started rolling, we 'speed-bumped' her so that we could continue using the sack.  If she cried in the night, we'd pop that pacifier back in to her mouth anywhere from 1x to 37x a night (note - this is problem #2). 

DD takes naps anywhere from 1-2.5 hours without her sleep sack so she is definitely capable of sleeping without it, but I fear that during the night, since it is all she knows and relates night time sleep with, she will have a very large problem with going to bed without it.

Twice in the last week we have put her to bed, blanket tucked around her belly and in to the crib sides, only to second guess ourselves, worried she will die with the blanket in the crib or smother herself with her face on the mattress, or, she cries and can't get a hold of herself.

What the heck do I do?  Can you help fix my sleep situation?  DH and I don't seem too confident about the blanket in the bed, but our house is so HOT with no air circulation so we crank the air pretty cold every night.  I want to get us to a place where she can sleep unswaddled, with her blanket, and DH and I not worry ourselves to death. 

Any help, or experiences you can share would be greatly appreciated.  TIA!!!!!!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Anyone still swaddle, or did we miss the boat?

• Options

I am still swaddling DD.  I'm actually nervous for the day when she doesn't fit into it anymore and I have to break her of it.  I think she still needs it.  When her arms are out, she doesn't know what to do with them.  She likes tucking them behind her head but sometimes she can't figure out how to do that and it makes her upset.  And most nights she has her arms free when I go get her in the morning, so I swaddle her a little more loosely so she can get her arms out if she wants. 

I don't have any advice b/c I haven't broken her of it yet.  I will keep doing it as long as it's working, and hope that I can fit her into her sack until it's not.  I also lay a blanket across her legs b/c they get cold and then I tuck it into the sides of the crib.  It's too far down for her to be able to reach and get it.  Right now if DD cries after I put her in bed, I run to her quickly to try and soothe her before she loses it.  If she gets too worked up, she has a hard time falling back to sleep on her own. 

This is a tough stage, DH and I were just talking about this tonight.  I think DD is getting ready to break the swaddle b/c sometimes she gets frustrated with it, but I know it works and I'll do it until she goes to kindergarten if it helps her sttn.  Good luck!  Just remember to do what works for you and your family and what will get you all a good night's rest.

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

• Options
    We never swaddled but she has always slept with a blanket. It used up make me nervous but she is so mobile now and we have never had a problem with it. She even loves to put the blanket up by her face and has never come close to smothering.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

I'm still swaddling and I'm ok with continuing to do it for a while longer. But my DD was younger when we weaned her off of it.

What I did with my DD was wrap her up as usual, then after she was asleep I would unwrap one side and she would gradually get used to it not being wrapped around her anymore.

I'm comfortable with blankets in the crib as long as they are breathable. DS is currently swaddled in his Anis & Aden blanket. GL!

• Options

We stopped cold turkey style! LO did ok and we did it on a weekend somif we didn't get much sleep we at least had naps. The blanket, I wouldn't feel comfortable but I have a friend who did it from day one. I think you should do what makes you comfortable and if your LO is used to her blanket.  

• Options
    MC03MC03 member

Wow, I thought I was the last one still swaddling! It makes me feel better to know I'm not alone.  We still swaddle DD, although lately we have been trying one arm out, and it is working ok.  

She still wakes up about 2x a night and we put the paci back (sometimes it's more like 6x).  I really wish we could stop this, and the swaddle, but I just don't know that I'm up to it right now. I'm having a hard time deciding if we are going to sleep train or just go with the flow until she's 1 and then re-assess. Sometimes being a parent is so hard when it comes to making these types of decisions. Sigh.  

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

imageimage
  • Options

We still swaddle using the swaddle sacks. He can bust out of it if he really wants to. Plus when he goes to sleep he has a burp cloth under his head cause he's a puker even when he sleeps sometimes. So far he hasn't managed to suffocate himself Stick out tongue We've tried not swaddling, just doing a blanket and it's only worked once. He just likes the feeling of being snuggled up I guess. I'll cross the bridge of out growing the swaddle sacks when we get there. Until then we will continue...despite everyone and their mother thinks it's ridiculous.

I once babysat a little girl who was over a year old before they were able to stop swaddling her. 

• Options
    I only recently stopped swaddling LO. We have used the swaddle me sleep sack with velcro since day one. It worked well at keeping her in even with her getting all wiggle worm like. I'd known I needed to work on getting her out for about a month, but was not looking forward to it. Then she started flipping over while sleeping and I didn't feel comfortable with her having her arms velcroed into place. SOOO I started putting her down for naps with one arm in the blanket and one out. Once I'd done that with no issues for a few naps I started leaving both arms out of the swaddle and would continue to use the sack as a wearable blanket. It made me feel like she still had that feeling on being comforted in some form of wrap. Now that its getting warm I have just stopped putting her in anything all together. First for naps and not over night too. Good luck!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    We stopped swaddling around 4 months but I just wanted to suggest a wearable blanket if you are leery of tucking in a regular one. They make light cotton ones that are really just like wearing a sheet. I know a regular blanket wouldn't work for us yet, the kid always seems to be facing a different direction when I go in to him.
    Raising a threenager since 11/11
    Baby boy #2 due 5/6/15
  • Options

We weaned from the swaddle using a woombie. Have you seen those? It was great because he got used to being able to move his arms while still being snuggled up and unable to smack himself in the face. Once he started rolling a lot, I got rid of the woombie and put him to sleep on his stomach for about a week. After that, he was all over the place, so now I just put him on his back and he sleeps in every position imagineable for 11 hours straight. He never took a pacifier, so I'm no help on that, sorry!

We do not do a blanket in the crib and keep the house at 70 at night with a fan in his room. He currently sleeps in a onesie, socks, and a footed sleeper. If it were cooler, I'd probably add babylegs under the sleeper or something.

BabyFetus Ticker
    It's a BOY!

CafeMom Tickers
  • Options
    Like PP said, I also recommend the sleep sack, not the swaddle, just the sleep sack without arms. I was concerned about her smothering herself too and this was what we transitioned to. We have the Halo valboa sleepsack and plan to keep her in it until she's 1 year. If you transition, expect a little bit more fuss for a couple of days to a couple of weeks but it does get better. Just power through it! You can do it :)
  • Options
    have you tried using a sleep sack like PPs have mentioned? I think it's a good transition from the swaddle and it will still keep her comfortable. We use the sleep sacks at night and LO likes them.
  • Options
    imageMrsNash37212:

We weaned from the swaddle using a woombie. Have you seen those? It was great because he got used to being able to move his arms while still being snuggled up and unable to smack himself in the face.

We did this too, and maybe only used the woombie for about a week or two. At that point, he just seem annoyed with the woombie and we just went cold turkey without it. It took a few nights to adjust, but he did a lot better than I thought he would going without some sort of swaddle.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    imageMrsNash37212:

We weaned from the swaddle using a woombie. Have you seen those? It was great because he got used to being able to move his arms while still being snuggled up and unable to smack himself in the face.

We did this too, and maybe only used the woombie for about a week or two. At that point, he just seem annoyed with the woombie and we just went cold turkey without it. It took a few nights to adjust, but he did a lot better than I thought he would going without some sort of swaddle.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    DD was swaddled until 2 nights ago.  She started breaking out pretty regularly and 2 nights ago she had broken out twice before I even laid her down, so I decided we were done with the swaddle.  I've been swaddling her, just with her arms out, so there's still no loose bedding, but her arms are free.  I'd probably continue to keep the blanket out of the crib and either swaddle up to the arm pits or use a sleep sack.

~Working Mom~Breastfeeding Mom~Cloth Diapering Mom~BLW Mom~

Blog - No Longer on the DL ~ The Man Cave
    Shawn and Larissa
    LO #1 - Took 2 years and 2 IVFs ~ DX - severe MFI mild PCOS homozygous MTHFR (a1298c)
    LO #2 - TTC 7 months, surprise spontaneous BFP!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    This was our DS exactly!  He loved the swaddle, except he needed it for all sleep not just nighttime.  Well he started rolling and could roll in the swaddle so we got the Merlins Magic Sleep Suit (very skeptical) and it worked!!!!  He can't roll in it and puts himself to sleep better actually than he did swaddled.  We use it for naps and nighttime.  I'd like to try to wean him off it for naps bc he can get to warm during the day in it, but it's perfect for night.  I think it's a good transition for them bc they can move their arms and legs but it still muffles the startle reflex. GL!
    image Image and video hosting by TinyPic image Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"