Special Needs
Options

Throwing up

Has anyone dealt with this? This is apparently DS's new temper tantrum thing. We started with head banging, then moved to biting his hand, and now it is a mix of biting, running in a circle and apparently throwing up.

He throws up if he eats a food he doesn't like or has the wrong texture, and he has done it twice now when he didn't get his way. Normally during a break down I try a few sensory things and if that doesn't work I put him in a safe place and walk away until he is calm. It works 8 out of 10 times. But this throwing up thing is a big huge mess to clean up. 

Anyone deal with this?

TIA

Diabetic, 2IF, PCOS; blessed beyond words to be called "mommy" to Drew (6/30/09) and Alynn (5/16/11).
Parenting author for Women of Worth. Mom Blogger and photographer.

Andrew David: mixed receptive/expressive language phonological disorder, sensory processing disorder, Disruptive Behavior disorder-nos and insomnia.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Re: Throwing up

• Options
    imageHeather & Nayt:

Has anyone dealt with this? This is apparently DS's new temper tantrum thing. We started with head banging, then moved to biting his hand, and now it is a mix of biting, running in a circle and apparently throwing up.

He throws up if he eats a food he doesn't like or has the wrong texture, and he has done it twice now when he didn't get his way. Normally during a break down I try a few sensory things and if that doesn't work I put him in a safe place and walk away until he is calm. It works 8 out of 10 times. But this throwing up thing is a big huge mess to clean up. 

Anyone deal with this?

TIA

We have dealt with throwing up for different reasons for the last 15 months with Morgan.  If she cries for longer than 15-30 seconds she pukes.  Everywhere.  It's awful.  It was so difficult to sleep train or anything because she wouldn't even get to the point of learning to self soothe.  She is doing better though, and had an upper GI to rule out other things.  As for the food issues, Peyton spits out anything she doesn't like, she doesn't puke but she will spit it out.  

Sigh! 

DD1(4):VSD & PFO (Closed!), Prenatal stroke, Mild CP, Delayed pyloric opening/reflux, Brachycephaly & Plagiocephaly, Sacral lipoma, Tethered spinal cord, Compound heterozygous MTHFR, Neurogenic bladder, Urinary retention & dyssynergia, incomplete emptying, enlarged Bladder with Poor Muscle Tone, EDS-Type 3. Mito-Disorder has been mentioned

DD2(2.5): Late term premie due to PTL, low fluid & IUGR, Reflux, delayed visual maturation, compound heteroygous MTHFR, PFAPA, Bilateral kidney reflux, Transient hypogammaglobulinemia, EDS-Type 3

• Options

When DS gets extremely worked up, he'll start gagging.  Only once has he actually thrown up though.  We've been working on techniques for calming down.  There ARE times that the only thing that has calmed him is physical restraint.  He's getting too strong for me to do that now though.  I think my DS is older and more verbal than yours, so I'm not sure what will work best as far as techniques go, but we've been working on taking deep breaths and not attempting to harm himself when upset (I think you replied to my post about him scratching his face).  There's a board book that we got at the library called "Calm Down Time" that he seemed to really like.  I think I'm going to go ahead and order it so that he can flip through it as much as he wants:

https://www.amazon.com/Calm-Down-Time-Toddler-Tools-ebook/dp/B00658PWSG/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1338521406&sr=1-1

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"