Trouble TTC

question about shots/IUI (long)

Met with RE today for follow up.. He thinks I am ovulating but that it is very weak. So we are continuing 50mg of Clomid and adding an HCG injection after the CD12 ultrasound. He said that at the ultrasound we'll know if the nurses should go ahead and do the injection or if I'll have to do it at home. He said we would talk about it the day of the ultrasound.

I am terrified at the idea of doing a shot on my own..or having my husband do it. Will he have to do it? Where does the shot go? Any reassurance y'all could provide on this front would be good! 

Also, he said he would recommend also doing an IUI this cycle, but said that it is our decision and we could wait on that if we want. My husband had one bad SA (motility issues) and one good SA, so the RE thinks the IUI might help put the sperm where it needs to go.  I've also had a minor surgery (a LEEP) that he thinks could be impeding getting the sperm where it needs to go- although my OBGYN said that it wouldn't cause any problems. The cost breakdown is:

Clomid + HCG = $400. 

Clomid + HCG + IUI = $700. 

I'm not sure if it makes a difference, but I'm a teacher so I have June and July off- another reason why he suggested going ahead and doing the IUI this summer rather than waiting (less stress, etc).

What do you ladies think? Go ahead and do the IUI this cycle? Wait a month maybe and see if Clomid and HCG work on their own? 

---------------Siggy Warning--------------------

Image and video hosting by TinyPicimage
Me: 32, DH: 34  / TTC since February 2011 / SA: all normal, HSG: all clear! / on Lovenox for anticardiolipid antibodies
4 IUIs with Clomid, Letrozole, and Menopur. All BFN.
9/12: lap / hysteroscopy: found and removed mild endometriosis, cervical polyp, and 2 para-tubular cysts
5/13 IVF #1: Follistim, Menopur, Ganirelix, 10R/4M/4F, ET of 2, 5 cell and 4 cell, no frosties = BFN
12/13 IVF #2 = November / December 2013. Microdose Lupron Protocol: 15R/6M/6F, Froze all 6 due to high E2 and P4
FET 1: Jan 22, 2014 of one 4AB blast and one 3BB blast (3 blasts on ice!)
BFP on HPT 4dp5dt, Beta #1 9dp5dt: 310, Beta #2 11dp5dt: 899
First u/s on 2/17/14: TWINS!!!!! both w/HBs of 114 at 6w3d, HBs 150 and 152 at 7w5d

5/27/2014: Team purple!!!!  EDD 10/10/2014 / 
Delivered by c-section at 32w0d 8/15/2014 due to preeclampsia/HELLP syndrome
Baby Boy 4lbs 1oz, 17 inches
Baby Girl 3lbs 5oz, 16 inches

imageimage
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: question about shots/IUI (long)

• I opted to do the IUI in lieu of TI for peace of mind. My RE didn't really feel the IUI would increase our chances that much over TI because we have no MFI, but we asked for it anyway. I wanted to make sure those swimmers got a head start, and I also didn't want my H to stress about performing.  I think ultimately its your decision but it sounds like since you have the summer off it might be a good time.

As far as the shot goes, I actually had mine administered in the office on CD12 because my u/s showed I was ready to go.  It wasn't bad at all, but having the nurse do it did help :) Some other ladies on here have done it themselves or had their H do it.

Happily married since July 2008
    Me = 32, PCOS, AO :: DH = 34, SA= all good!
    TTC since April 2009
    9/11 - Started Acupuncture, began O on my own in November!
    1/12 - Consult w/ RE
    1/24/12 - Lap & Cystectomy to remove a tumor w/ precancerous cells from left ovary, also removed part of left ovary, no signs of endo noticed at that time
    2/12 - forced break to recover from surgery
    3/12- given the OK to start treatment w/ RE
    3/12 - HSG = right side good, unable to get dye in left tube so cannot verify if it is clear
    5/12 - Clomid + trigger + IUI = BFN 6/12 - Medicated cycle cancelled due to cysts, natural cycle instead
  • Thanks amh.. I'm thinking along those same lines- peace of mind. And this is a total newbie question, but where does the shot go? your butt/hip? arm? stomach?
    ---------------Siggy Warning--------------------

Image and video hosting by TinyPicimage
    Me: 32, DH: 34  / TTC since February 2011 / SA: all normal, HSG: all clear! / on Lovenox for anticardiolipid antibodies
    4 IUIs with Clomid, Letrozole, and Menopur. All BFN.
    9/12: lap / hysteroscopy: found and removed mild endometriosis, cervical polyp, and 2 para-tubular cysts
    5/13 IVF #1: Follistim, Menopur, Ganirelix, 10R/4M/4F, ET of 2, 5 cell and 4 cell, no frosties = BFN
    12/13 IVF #2 = November / December 2013. Microdose Lupron Protocol: 15R/6M/6F, Froze all 6 due to high E2 and P4
    FET 1: Jan 22, 2014 of one 4AB blast and one 3BB blast (3 blasts on ice!)
    BFP on HPT 4dp5dt, Beta #1 9dp5dt: 310, Beta #2 11dp5dt: 899
    First u/s on 2/17/14: TWINS!!!!! both w/HBs of 114 at 6w3d, HBs 150 and 152 at 7w5d

5/27/2014: Team purple!!!!  EDD 10/10/2014 / 
    Delivered by c-section at 32w0d 8/15/2014 due to preeclampsia/HELLP syndrome
    Baby Boy 4lbs 1oz, 17 inches
    Baby Girl 3lbs 5oz, 16 inches

imageimage
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • I did a trigger shot this cycle. The nurse did it for me but I didn't even feel it. Mine was in my stomach.

ETA: My DH and I opted for TI for now because we wanted to give it a shot.

• LyssRobLyssRob member
    I opted for TI instead of IUI bc it feels more "natural" but we also don't have MFI issues....so I don't know if I would do IUI right away if we did...

As far as the trigger shot, I promise it is NOTHING. I do FSH shots as well and think they are way worse than the trigger. I have my husband give them to me in the stomach, but the thigh is also an option. Have an icepack on hand for right after if you are worried. GL!
    PCOS 
    Off bcp March 2011 
    Aug 2011-Feb 2012 tried to regulate cycles w/ Metformin -- no luck 
    April 2012: Clomid (50mg) + Injects + TI = BFN
    May 2012: Clomid (100mg) + Injects + TI = BFP on 6/8/12   

Lilypie - (74ba)
  • I'm on follistim injections and was so scared of doing it myself that my sh has been doing them. Last night he had to work so I had no choice but to do it myself. It was nothing!! Can't believe I got myself all worked up over it. Mine go in the stomach as well, but totally painless!! 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • The nurse gives me my Ovidrel shot in my arm. It's really not bad - I wouldn't have a problem with my husband giving it to me or even giving it to myself, it just hasn't worked out where I've needed to.

I'm a teacher too, so I understand really wanting to maximize these summer cycles. Considering that along with your husband's inconsistent SA, I would probably go ahead with the IUI.

imageimage After 2 years of trying with PCOS, 7 rounds of Clomid/Femara, and 2 early miscarriages, we finally found success. :) Due on April 24, 2013! Beta 1 (16 dpo): 477, Beta 2 (19 dpo): 1568, Beta 3 (21 dpo): 3560 Aug 24 - 5w ultrasound - 1 8mm gestational sac Aug 31 - 6w ultrasound - 1 empty 15 mm gestational sac - possible blighted ovum - Beta 41,716 Sept 7 - 7w ultrasound - 2 sacs, heart beats, and fetal poles - TWINS!! Baby A measuring 6w4d, Baby B measuring 6w6d BabyFruit Ticker
  • ARS0805ARS0805 member

I just had my first IUI yesterday.  I vote for the IUI!  It was much less stressful for us.  The trigger shot was a breeze.  I iced for about five minutes before I gave it to myself.  I did my in my belly-- one inch left and down from my belly button.  I never felt a thing.  My mother and sister didn't think I would be able to self-inject because I am a big weenie!!  But I showed that shot who was boss.  You can do it!  GL! 

Oh and I bought Disney Princess band aids and expense chocolates to treat myself after each shot!  ;-) 

image image

Me: 28; DH: 35 
    1/2008 -- Started TTC
    3/2009 - FD discovered at 17 weeks1/2011 - Lap and HSG reveal Stage IV Endo and both tubes blocked. 
    4/2012 - Consult with RE for IVF#1 - Labs and SA are normal - Repeat HSG - SURPRISE! Both tubes are open.
    May, June, August 2012 - IUI#1-3 - Letrozole + Bravelle + Ovidrel trigger = BFN
    9/2012 - Lap#2 to remove endo and Hysteroscopy 
    IVF#1 (Long Lupron) - 12/6 ER - 20R 11F * 12/11 ET - Transferred 2 excellent blasts * 3 Frosties * 
    Beta #1 79.7 * Beta #2 240 * EDD - 8.29.13 * It's a GIRL!

BabyFruit Ticker

When Not IF Blog

Everyone welcome!
  • I, too, had a leep 2 summers ago. Ob said there would be no problems, but the reality is I have scar tissue from the procedure. When I had my u/s w/the blue dye, the RE had to dilate me because the opening was too small to put the catheter through. So, yeah, IUI vs TI will probably be more efficacious. 
    On 10/23/13 Baby Sophie and Baby Gabriel born at 21+5 weeks. They grew wings and flew away from us. May God bless them always. We love you beans!
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
    Phoebe Jaslene born at 19w3d. We love you beba! Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

• imageAurora1181:
    Thanks amh.. I'm thinking along those same lines- peace of mind. And this is a total newbie question, but where does the shot go? your butt/hip? arm? stomach?

I get the shot in the stomach.  Good luck!

Happily married since July 2008
    Me = 32, PCOS, AO :: DH = 34, SA= all good!
    TTC since April 2009
    9/11 - Started Acupuncture, began O on my own in November!
    1/12 - Consult w/ RE
    1/24/12 - Lap & Cystectomy to remove a tumor w/ precancerous cells from left ovary, also removed part of left ovary, no signs of endo noticed at that time
    2/12 - forced break to recover from surgery
    3/12- given the OK to start treatment w/ RE
    3/12 - HSG = right side good, unable to get dye in left tube so cannot verify if it is clear
    5/12 - Clomid + trigger + IUI = BFN 6/12 - Medicated cycle cancelled due to cysts, natural cycle instead
  • The shots are not as bad as I built them up to be. This was my first cycle doing them. I was nervous. But the nurse gave me good instructions. I also watched a video on the manufacturers website before I did it and as I did it. After it was all done it was actually not that bad at all. the next two shots I wasn't nervous about a bit. I also did them in my belly and iced the spot first.
    TTC since 2007.
    IUI #1: Clomid + Bravelle, May '12. NEGATIVE.
    IUI #2: Clomid + more Bravelle, '12. NEGATIVE
    IVF: April/May 2013 (Severe OHSS, freeze all - 5 embryos)
    FET August 23, 2013 - negative :-( 
    Double FET December 31, 2013 - Due Sept. 18, 2014 So thrilled for our first pregnancy!

BabyFetus Ticker

• I was all freaked out by the ovidrel shot the first time I had to do it. After I was done, I felt rather silly, as it was really easy and barely hurt. It is a REALLY tiny needle...nothing like the ones they draw blood with. I barely felt it, and I didn't ice anything. I pinch my skin/fat an inch or two from the belly button and inject there. First you swab the area with alcohol, then pinch and inject. I also had no side effects from the shot, nor have I heard of anyone having any, in case you start to wonder about that.

I vote do the IUI as well...if you are going to take the drugs, might as well give them the best odds and go all the way is how I look at it. Good luck! 

4 IUIs: Bfn
    Antagonist IVF 7 retrieved, 4 fert w/ICSI&AH, 2 blasts transferred. Beta #1 9/20: 367 Beta #2 9/22: 841
    image image
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"