Babies: 6 - 9 Months
Options

Baby-Led weaning?

Luke hasn't been wanting to take his bottle or eat with a spoon. I cut up a banana in small chunks and he chowed down. I've read a few things on it but I'm not sure how to do it and i'm nervous about it. Any of you moms do it? If so, what do you feed your babies?

Re: Baby-Led weaning?

• Options

We do BLW and I highly recommend reading the book first.  I think it gives a really good overview and serves as a great resource.  For me, it also helped to give me an idea of what to expect which helped with the general "they're eating what?!" nerves and questions from others.

My guy is a pretty good eater, so for the most part we feed him what we're eating.  He's not big on spicy foods, so I usually give him something different if we go spicy.  Last night we had chipotle shrimp and grits, so he got cheese grits, no shrimp.  Then he had some broccoli and some cantaloupe.  This morning for breakfast he had half a stick of string cheese, a little blueberry muffin, and some blueberries.  The lunch I sent with him to daycare had some toast with cheese, the other half of the string cheese, strawberries, and cantaloupe.  He loves meats of all kinds - chicken, steak, pork, duck and he eats most vegetables and fruit.

June '15 January Siggy Challenge.  Pinterest Fails

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    There's a book?! I gotta find it. Where can I get it?
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

imagecandicew0323:

Go on Amazon and put in "Baby Led Weaning" it'll come up.  I got it "gently used" for like $7.  DS hasn't loved bottles and hated being spoon fed.  BLW has been amazing for us.  I'm taking it sort of slow since he has a milk allergy, but he's had all kinds of fruits and veggies and a little meat.  He LOVES eating this way and it's so nice to not have to spoon food into his mouth every meal!  I'm very happy with it so far.

DD february 2010 | DS october 2011

*please excuse my typos, bumping from my iphone*
  • Options
    imageblu-eyedwife:

We do BLW and I highly recommend reading the book first.  I think it gives a really good overview and serves as a great resource.  For me, it also helped to give me an idea of what to expect which helped with the general "they're eating what?!" nerves and questions from others.

My guy is a pretty good eater, so for the most part we feed him what we're eating.  He's not big on spicy foods, so I usually give him something different if we go spicy.  Last night we had chipotle shrimp and grits, so he got cheese grits, no shrimp.  Then he had some broccoli and some cantaloupe.  This morning for breakfast he had half a stick of string cheese, a little blueberry muffin, and some blueberries.  The lunch I sent with him to daycare had some toast with cheese, the other half of the string cheese, strawberries, and cantaloupe.  He loves meats of all kinds - chicken, steak, pork, duck and he eats most vegetables and fruit.

I may have said this before, but I LOOOOVE your siggy pic.  It's amaze-balls.  Seriously adorable!

DD february 2010 | DS october 2011

*please excuse my typos, bumping from my iphone*
  • Options
    Don't forget that at his age those bottles are his source of nutrition so keep pushing that. I'd worry about solids once you fix that issue. My son is just now getting back to being a good BFer or bottle drinker after a month and a half of disinterested/distracted eating. Good luck. 
    **Meagan** Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options

We didn't read the book first, but I've done a lot of research on blogs and even watched a ton of info on youtube (look it up on there!). We started a few days ago. On memorial day, DS had toast, watermelon, banana and corn on the cob. He LOVED it all. (Though you are usually supposed to introduce a little slower than that, he had already had a couple of those previously)...

To make bananas easier (since they don't have the pincher grasp yet), you can cut a banana in half, then cut AROUND the banana about 2 inches from the top to get the skin off (but leave the fruit intact). That way, they can hold the banana, and it doesn't get slippery in their hands.

Today, DS had yogurt (self fed by spoon), avocado spears (I also tried cheerio dust on that since it was slippery) and bell peppers. He loved it all, and needed a bath afterwards ;) 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker 

February 2011- M/C
    March 2011- BFP resulting in... 12/2011 bouncing baby boy! 
    October 2013- BFP- M/C
  • Options
    imageSummer20:
    imageblu-eyedwife:

I may have said this before, but I LOOOOVE your siggy pic.  It's amaze-balls.  Seriously adorable!

Awww, thanks!

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    imageblu-eyedwife:

FYI - String cheese is a huge choking hazard. It's the exact same size and shape as hot dogs and everyone knows to cut up hot dogs but no one thinks about string cheese. The woman who teaches us first aid at work harps on this every year and it's been pounded into me. It's entirely possible that you're stringing the cheese for him, in which case disregard this but I thought I'd put it out there for others anyway. I've found shredded cheese to be a good easy alternative that my kids have had success with and haven't choked on.

PS - I do give my two year old string cheese now, but only seated with supervision. I wouldn't give it to the baby. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    imageceliabwatson:
    imageblu-eyedwife:

FYI - String cheese is a huge choking hazard. It's the exact same size and shape as hot dogs and everyone knows to cut up hot dogs but no one thinks about string cheese. The woman who teaches us first aid at work harps on this every year and it's been pounded into me. It's entirely possible that you're stringing the cheese for him, in which case disregard this but I thought I'd put it out there for others anyway. I've found shredded cheese to be a good easy alternative that my kids have had success with and haven't choked on.

PS - I do give my two year old string cheese now, but only seated with supervision. I wouldn't give it to the baby. 

I am glad you posted this. I bought some cheese sticks to give DS, but DH said they seemed like a choking hazard so I was holding off. But I was going to ask about this today. Thanks! I will try shredded cheese

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Netty_3Netty_3 member
    We do it. He eats a lot of different things: asparagus, avocado, green beans, potato, sweet potato, carrots, peaches, blueberries, broccoli, toast, hummus, chicken drummettes, steak, mum mums, oatmeal...last night I made him a pizza with pesto, chicken and mozzarella. You should read the book to help...it's not difficult, it mainly gives reassurance and advice. :) LO doesn't necessarily ingest much right now, but he's learning, and he gums things.
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers Anniversary
  • Options
    Netty_3Netty_3 member
    imagecandicew0323:
  • Options
    Netty_3Netty_3 member

imagecandicew0323:

You can also check it out at the library...

• Options

imageceliabwatson:

This doesn't make any sense to me - can you explain a little more?   (Especially since we don't do hotdogs with him since they're filled with things I don't want him eating. Stick out tongue) Should I be cutting it into quarters instead of halves?  Shredding cheese kind of goes against the concept of BLW, and frankly stringing the cheese seems like more of a choking hazard to me than giving it whole where he is biting off chunks instead of strings. 

1) String cheese isn't the same size or shape as a hot dog.  It's thinner, softer, and since we only give him half, it's a lot shorter.

2) How is it any different than giving him a stick of cheese I cut off the block in terms of choking hazard?  It's roughly the same size and shape.

3)  And probably most importantly - and this is the part I'm including for others, because you probably already supervise your little guy and just didn't realize what you were implying.  You mention that you give it to your 2 year old "only seated with supervision."  This is probably the part I don't get because all food given through BLW should be given while the child is seated with supervision.  I don't even give him a bowl of grits unless he's sitting and I'm right beside him.  Giving a child any food without supervision makes that food a potential choking hazard, so why would string cheese be different?

BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"