1st Trimester
Options

First OB Appointment 6/25...what was your like?

Hi All,

I'll be exactly 5 weeks tomorrow and scheduled my first appointment for Monday, June 25 - my OB sees newly expecting mothers at 8 weeks.

What normally happens during the first appointment? Anything out of the ordinary for you? What's 'Beta' and how is it measured?

Thanks 

Re: First OB Appointment 6/25...what was your like?

• Options

With my first.......it was real short and they needed a urine sample.  I had no idea so i had to drink a ton of water to give them one at the office.

With my 2nd pregnance I had to go to a new OB.  They asked a tons of questions and required no urine sample.  I felt so stupid b/c I drank a whole bottle of water right before the appt.

They both did an internal exam to verify if I was pregnant and we listened to the baby's hb.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Not a ton happens at the 1st appointment, and you most likely wont get betas drawn.  You'll probably have a pap, a breast exam, and then the nurse/doctor will take lots of medical histroy type info, and send you on your way.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    internal exam including pap and whatever else + urine sample + weight /bp check + lots and lots and lots of blood drawn
    BabyFruit Ticker It's a Girl!
  • Options
    I guess my OB is a little different than what most people's seem to be. For our first visit, he did a "verification of pregnancy". Basically I went in, they took my weight and blood pressure (no blood and no urine) and he did a transvaginal ultrasound to verify that there was a baby. Turns out I was a little behind, so I went back a couple weeks later and basically did the same thing. My next visit will be at 12 weeks and I believe that's where he'll do the pap, and breast, and urine, and go over family history, etc. Hope this helps! Congratulations and good luck!
    imageimage BabyFetus Ticker Our Pregnancy Journey! -- http://when2bcomeone.blogspot.com/
  • Options

The first thing I had to do was pee in a cup. Then we had an internal ultrasound, where we saw our baby and heard the heartbeat. Then it was off to an exam room, where my midwife did a pelvic and breast exam. She then asked lots of medical history questions, and let me ask all the questions I wanted. I also had my vitals taken during this exam. Then off to blood draw, then I got an awesome goodie bag full of samples, a couple of parenting magazines and my ultrasound pics! I was exactly 8 weeks along.

It will help things go more smoothly if you can fill out any paperwork at home or online, then drop it off early or have it ready to give them. I had to see a new doctor, and the paperwork was several pages long and took me about 30 minutes to fill out.

Good luck!  

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    imageMCADDmama:

The first thing I had to do was pee in a cup. Then we had an internal ultrasound, where we saw our baby and heard the heartbeat. Then it was off to an exam room, where my midwife did a pelvic and breast exam. She then asked lots of medical history questions, and let me ask all the questions I wanted. I also had my vitals taken during this exam. Then off to blood draw, then I got an awesome goodie bag full of samples, a couple of parenting magazines and my ultrasound pics! I was exactly 8 weeks along.

It will help things go more smoothly if you can fill out any paperwork at home or online, then drop it off early or have it ready to give them. I had to see a new doctor, and the paperwork was several pages long and took me about 30 minutes to fill out.

Good luck!  

This.

• Options
    I just had my first appointment today. They took a urine sample, blood pressue and weight. They asked me a ton of questions on personal and family medical history. And then because I wasn't totally sure of the date of my last period (I had an estimate but don't really keep track) they did a transvaginal ultrasound and I got to see and hear my baby! So awesome. They verified I was 11 weeks as I thought. And I just have to do bloodwork before my next appt in 4 weeks. They said they won't do another ultrasound until around 19 weeks.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"