Two Under 2
Options

WWYD: Am I doing too much? [Car Seats]

I am mostly sure I haven't yet introduced myself ~ I am Cara. I have one outside DD1 (Sophie, 13 months) and one inside DD2 (due Sept 4). So this board will likely be home to me for while. :)

We currently have a graco travel system. Sophie still sits in the infant seat in the car but by the time DD2 gets here, she will be ready for the convertible seat and we can put DD1 in the infant seat. Easy enough!

Here's my small dilemma, I am thinking that by the time DD2 is ready for the convertible seat (which is as soon as she fits well because I hate lugging the infant seat around anyway), it will be nice to have matching car seats for them. So I am thinking I might buy 2. I am looking at the Evenflo Titan Elite (https://www.target.com/p/Evenflo-Titan-Elite-Convertible-Car-Seat-Camille/-/A-13694076) Reviews seem to mainly approve, and I am trying to be somewhat frugal and give in to my aesthetic needs as well. :) 

Also, I am thinking it might be nice to put the 2nd one in my mom's car since they somewhat often have Sophie, until I need it. 

WWYD? Buy 2 or get over the matching and wait it out?

Re: WWYD: Am I doing too much? [Car Seats]

• Options
    sosophsosoph member
    Unless you need a seat in your mom's car, I wouldn't do it. You'd be getting a seat a year before you needed it, and that's a year closer to expiration on the most important safety devise you get for your child.
  • Options

I'd probably wait for the reason PP mentioned. I want to get as much life and use as possible out of my car seats before the expire. 

As for matching - I chose DD1's convertible seat (Evenflo Triumph) in a print that had the same colors as the infant seat (Graco SnugRide 32) because I thought it was fun that they matched. I love it but my family makes fun of me :) 

Mama to two sweet girls
    DD1 Feb 2010
    DD2 Sept 2011

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    laura1laura1 member

I would wait, too.  For the same reasons that the others gave, and what if you decide that you don't like the seat for everyday use?  We actually have the Titan in my DH's car, and we aren't big fans of it.  The straps always get tangled, and it doesn't seem like a very comfy seat.  We are fine with using them in DH's car though, since he only drives the kids maybe once or twice a week to school.  If we had to use them more often, we would not be happy.  (Right now in my car, we have DS in a gray Marathon, and DD in a brown Radian - not matching at all, but they are comfy and we love the seats!)

TTC#1 = Success on Cycle#19 with Clomid/trigger/b2b IUIs; beta#1 (15dpiui) 200, #2 (18dpiui) 433, #3 (22dpiui) 2356; TTC#2 = Surprise BFP 9/2009; TTC#3 = m/c at 6 wks, 10/29/11; BFP#2 4/1/2012... Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I have to agree with the PP about not buying a seat over a year before you are going to use it, however the seat you selected has a 5 pound minimum, so if you HATE your infant seat as much as you say you do, just buy both seats and use them from day 1 with your new LO.  If you are going to wait and use the infant seat for awhile, then I say wait to buy the convertible car seat as well.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie - (HKbp)Lilypie - (WKbt)
     Lilypie - (2DqE)  Lilypie - (1KYE)
    Lilypie - (RlhZ)Lilypie - (1CAm)
  • Options

imageMammaBear81:
    I have to agree with the PP about not buying a seat over a year before you are going to use it, however the seat you selected has a 5 pound minimum, so if you HATE your infant seat as much as you say you do, just buy both seats and use them from day 1 with your new LO.  If you are going to wait and use the infant seat for awhile, then I say wait to buy the convertible car seat as well.

This...

Also, you can just leave the infant seat in the car with your DD now.  We used ours until DS outgrew it around 14 months, but never carried it anywhere after a certain point.

And coming from someone whose 2nd baby screamed like a maniac in her infant seat (and was in a convertible seat at 2.5 months), it is amazing to have an infant seat when you have a toddler to chase!  So much easier for loading and unloading into the car, etc. 

O 10.08 & MJ 6.10
  • Options
    Thanks for the input everyone. Definitely what I needed to hear!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"