Baby Showers
Options

XP Work shower ettiquette

If you are having or have had a work shower and have direct reports, will you/did you invite them?

My colleague is throwing me a shower and I've mainly invited my boss and my peers. However I'm not sure what to do about my direct reports. I don't want them to feel excluded or left out but on the flip side, this is presumably a gift-giving event so I'm not sure that it's appropriate for me to invite them.

What is the etTiquette for these kinds of things? WWYD?
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: XP Work shower ettiquette

• Options
    MelleTXMelleTX member

In my opinion, everyone on your team should be invited. Your direct reports would definitely feel excluded and left out. Unless you are a disconnected and really bad boss they hate. : )

Typically for holidays and such, the rules are that you only buy gifts down and not up, but I think it is different for a shower. Did they get you small gifts or cards for Christmas?

At this party, you are a mom and a coworker to celebrate, not their boss.

Single Mother by Choice. Life didn't work out the way I planned so I did it on my own. IUI #s 1-3, unmedicated = BFN, IUI #s 4-6, 50mg Clomid, Ovidrel = BFN IVF #1: 23R, 20M, 17F. 5 day transfer 2 blasts. 2 Snowbabies BFP 6dp5dt, Beta #1 7dp5dt = 58, Beta #2 9dp5dt = 114, Beta #3 10dp5dt = 187 1st Ultrasound = 5/3, not much to see yet. 2nd Ultrasound = 5/17, TWINS!!! Hospital Bed Rest at 32 weeks due to pre-ecclampsia and severe edema. Audrey Grace, 5lbs9oz, & Lydia Louise, 6lbs, born via emergency c-section on 12/6/12 at 36w1d My IVF Journey
  • Options
    I thought for a work shower, just everyone you work with is invited.  I think it would be weird to exclude your direct reports.  At my office, the only people that would attend are my direct reports.  Maybe you should ask your boss or the person hosting the shower.  I don't think work showers have a traditional invitation type thing, it's just announced when it will be and whoever wants to attend can attend, unless your office is more formal about it.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    imageMelleTX:

In my opinion, everyone on your team should be invited. Your direct reports would definitely feel excluded and left out. Unless you are a disconnected and really bad boss they hate. : )

Typically for holidays and such, the rules are that you only buy gifts down and not up, but I think it is different for a shower. Did they get you small gifts or cards for Christmas?

At this party, you are a mom and a coworker to celebrate, not their boss.

They give me cards for the holidays and go in on a gift for Bosses Day. Thanks for the advice!
  • Options
    mlangsmlangs member

I have 75 people in my office.

We typically get a few cakes and some juice and everyone is invited. They come if they want to/ are able to. We take a collection for a big office gift if they want to participate, or they can buy something on their own if they want to as well.

It is typically a low key type thing... we send an outlook invitation and go from there. It works extremely well for my office because it isn't too high pressure.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"