LGBT Parenting
Options

Tubes after ear infections

Any others have advice/experiences to share abotu tubes for infants?  We are not sure if E will need them, but are preparing in case he does.  How long was the procedure?  Outpatient?  Recovery?  What was your baby like after the surgery?

Re: Tubes after ear infections

• Options
    I know its scary to think about any surgery for your baby, but tubes are no biggie.  its an outpatient procedure that takes about 30min. pretty much no recovery.  Its common for babies to be irritable and cranky when waking from the anethesia, but they wont be in any pain from the ear tubes and the crankiness should subside within a half hour (usually shorter).
  • Options

Chronic ear infections suck.  Our 2 year old just had tubes put in 2 weeks ago.  It was outpatient.  We were told no food after midnight and only water up to 2 hours before hand. He was to be there at 6:30.  Once we were put into a bed, which was nicely decorated with stickers=), he was given codeine and versed.  Once that kicked in he was very mello and just layed there watching his Kindle Fire.   They used a mask to put him out, no intubation is needed as they are not out that long.  I was able to go into recovery with him.  That was about 45 minutes later.  I have to say he was not a happy camper at all.  I could hear him crying and fussing before I could see him.  He had 3 nurses around him trying to not only comfort, but place lines for monitoring.  They gave up on that and I was able to sit in a recliner chair they had prepped and hold him.  After pulling off the lines that were attached, it took him about 20 minutes+ to calm down and open his eyes.  He was given a small amount of water.  Unfortunately the meds can make you nauseous and he started to throw up about 10 minutes after the water.  My wife was allowed to come back and join us about 30 minutes after I got in.  We stayed until about 11.  He was very tired and pukey the rest of the day.  The next day he was back to himself, just a bit sluggish.

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie First Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"