Toddlers: 24 Months+
Options

Direct or Connecting Flight?

Hello ladies!  I am wondering the best way to travel with a two year old and a 6 month old?

I can either take a direct flight for 2.5 hours or I can save $400 and take a connection flight that connects in a small airport so no worries finding a gate, etc.

DH will be with me to help, the connection flight is a total travel time of 4.5 hours. 

Will the connection be a good thing or bad?  Thinking it would give DS#1 time to run around an airport and see new things, but on the other hand, we have to board another plane and it's almost double the time. 

So I guess my question is, with a two year old, is it easier to go direct and pay more, or give him a break in the middle and save big?!

TIA!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Direct or Connecting Flight?

• Options
    We did a 3 hour direct flight with a 4 year old and 2 year old.  It was no problem.  The 2 year old was a lap child. He turned 2 the day after we came back.  I would probably do a direct flight.  We had a lot to lug around.  Back packs for all of us and the double stroller.  I would not want to change planes with all of it.  
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options

I would go direct flight, only because ds would not be good if we had to sit with time to kill.   I've had connecting flights, in the past, where the wait time could be 3-4 hours between the flights. 

If you can afford it, I would pay more for the convenience of getting to your destination faster.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I would absolutely do a direct flight. 
    "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
    ~Benjamin Franklin

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    DS dx with celiac disease 5/28/10

• Options
    With that short of a flight, I'd do direct, if you can swing it.  If it were longer (say 4-6 hours), the stretching time might be worth the hassle of the plan swap.
  • Options
    steverstever member
    I'm all about the direct flights. I see it as being akin to ripping off a Band Aid. That said, DS is generally well behaved and DH is happy to pace the aisles with him.
  • Options
    If money isn't an issue I would fly direct.
    It took 3 1/2 long years, but we finally got our little miracle!
    IVF #1 - BFP (6dt)
    Unassisted Pregnancy #2 - lost at 15w6d due to T21, severe heart defects, and fetal hydrops

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Direct all the way.

• Options
    I always try to get direct flights - even if they end up being 5-6 hours. Unless it was prohibitively expensive there is no way I'd opt for a connection over a short 2.5 hour flight. 
  • Options
    2.5 hour seems manageable. Our flights are usually 4.5 direct, so we've found it easier to have a connection (hour is best) so that the kids can run around, go to the bathroom, and get a snack. It really depends on time of day and your kids schedule. 6 month olds generally are pretty easy on flights, it's the toddlers that won't sit still! GL!
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    LSU628LSU628 member
    If you can schedule the flight where your connection is around a meal time, do it and save yourself some cash. That being said, I almost prefer a connection b/c I am not very good at sitting still for long periods of time.
    imageimage
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"