Babies: 9 - 12 Months
Options

1st Birthday Party Question

Hi ladies. I'm planning DD's 1st birthday party and just want to see what you think.  I am having entertainment which consists of cotton candy machine, balloon animals, and a character.  As money is a bit tight right now, I was thinking if each child is getting cotton candy and a balloon animal, I do not need to do goody bags.  I was originally going to do beach pails with some things in them but with about 20 kids on the list, that can get costly.  So, what are your opinions, no need for goody bags/pails if they are getting the cotton candy & balloon? 

Re: 1st Birthday Party Question

• Options
    Sounds good to me..we're not doing entertainment or goody bags. But we will only have about 5 kids there. People are getting fed lunch and we're having cupcakes and cookies..I figured that was good enough.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Thats way more that what I am planning. We are just having a pool party with lunch and cake. We will only have close family and one friend of mine with her son. I I am not doing goody bags. Im not going crazy, he wont even know the party is for him. So yea, you're doing way more, so I would say no need for goody bags.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    mvhydemvhyde member

imagefcp1234:
    Thats way more that what I am planning. We are just having a pool party with lunch and cake. We will only have close family and one friend of mine with her son. I I am not doing goody bags. Im not going crazy, he wont even know the party is for him. So yea, you're doing way more, so I would say no need for goody bags.

This is what we are hoping to do. There won't be many kids, but I never had a lot of entertainment at my birthdays other than party games. It is mostly adults and a few babies so I am hoping that the other babies will entertainment enough.

So, no you don't need goodie bags, especially if they are getting balloons and candy floss.

• Options
    Similar to other posters, we're just doing a party with close family and one other baby, so no entertainment.  I think it sounds like you're doing a lot already(supermom!!), so I wouldn't worry about goody bags.  Good luck and have fun!
  • Options

disagree, you should do a party favor.  Cotton candy and a balloon is not a replacement for a goody bag.  All parties have balloons, and cotton candy is just something to eat.  Especially if you plan on having older kids.  If they are all 1 year olds...then you can skip out on the party favors....but if you've got 5yr olds coming you should buy them.  They are dirt cheap, go to the dollar store and buy 20.

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    imagegoogle123:

disagree, you should do a party favor.  Cotton candy and a balloon is not a replacement for a goody bag.  All parties have balloons, and cotton candy is just something to eat.  Especially if you plan on having older kids.  If they are all 1 year olds...then you can skip out on the party favors....but if you've got 5yr olds coming you should buy them.  They are dirt cheap, go to the dollar store and buy 20.

I couldn't disagree more.  My kids are 6 and almost 5 (in two weeks) and they went to a first birthday party two months ago and didn't get a goody bag and never thought anything of it.  They had their faces painted and left with a cupcake and a balloon and they were happy.  Going to a birthday party does not entitle you to leave with a gift, regardless of the cost, and IMHO it is setting very poor values for a child.  If you are providing entertainment and each child goes home with something then you've done more than enough.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers Image and video hosting by TinyPic Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options

Totally agree with the PP.  First birthday parties are for the adults, your LO or other young kids could care less about all that stuff.  If we were tight on money, I couldn't imagine doing all the stuff you're planning. 

We'll be having a cookout party with a cake, some balloons and close family and friends.   Seems kinda crazy to do more until LO is older.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    We are having an outdoor pool party/BBQ.  I am doing favors (only 7 kids, though).  I bought beach pails from Walmart, going to fill w/ sidewalk chalk, bubbles, Old Maid, and fruit snacks plus candy from the pinata.  I have about $4 in each favor, plus the cost of the pinata candy
  • Options

I'm going a little overboard for this first birthday party but really, I'm celebrating how much joy DS has brought us in the past year.  I have a lot of nieces/nephews that will be attending, so I wanted to make it fun for them too.  That being said, we are having a carnival themed lunch time party with balloon twister, face painter, bounce house, and cotton candy machine.  I'm not planning on favors since the kids are taking home 1 or 2 balloon animals and cotton candy each.  Of the 20 kids, half will be 1yo or younger so they don't need favors.  The others all range in ages from 2-14 so doing goody bags would be so time consuming and I'd have to do them specifically for each child then try to keep it monetarily the same...  that's just too much extra work and money.

When I was considering favors, it was between carnival decorated cookies or a magnet frame with a picture of DS.  But really, the adults are not expecting favors and the kids are taking home enough so I didn't feel it was necessary.

• Options

As per the dollar store suggestion... all that stuff you will buy will go right into the trash later!  Save your money!  How old are all the kids coming??  Sounds like you are doing more than enough for all the kids and they will enjoy themselves without a goody bag.  I would say if you are tight on money definitely no goody bags and let them be satisfied with all the treats you're providing at the party.  Kids have enough "stuff" these days anyway. 

BUT, I will add that my 2.5 yr old just went to a 2 yr old's party and got a goody bag, and she loved it.  Inside: box of craisins, stickers, small dollar store book, bag of goldfish, chocolate coins.  So, the contents all went to good use.  She did enjoy it, but I wouldn't bother with it if you already have all those other things lined up.  

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"