Working Moms
Options

skirt vs pants for interview- clicky poll

just curious. I have both a knee length skirt & a pair of pants that match my suit jacket/shell and I'm torn on which to wear for an interview...the pants are lined & seem like they could be hot but the skirt requires me to wear hose so maybe it is the same difference.... both are black. thanks.

ETA the pants I have that go w/ the jacket are wider leg, is that still ok? Also re the hose- I have VERY pale legs and feel like wearing hose is erring on the side of caution...I'm up in the air about the hose b/c I hate them & they're hot but everyone on this board always seems to recommend them. Also I work in a female dominated field and this job is not exactly corporate but a bit business-like, if that helps at all. 

[Poll]

Re: skirt vs pants for interview- clicky poll

• Options
    What's the job and geographic region?  I tend to wear skirts in the South and pants in the Northeast. 
  • Options
    I voted pants simply because I always wear pants.  I don't own any skirts!
    "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
    ~Benjamin Franklin

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    DS dx with celiac disease 5/28/10

• Loading the player...
  • Options

I'm a manager in insurance which is a fairly conservative industry. My direct reports are all over the country in different offices and I see pants mainly in most geographic areas and that is what I did for my own interviews over the years (south east, northeast & Midwest). 

I don't think a skirt would put me off, I just don't see them.  I would probably go with the pants and suit coat to be safe. 

BabyName Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

Thanks...I'm in the midwest.

I guess I should also clarify that my pants are probably not the most in style- the 2 pairs I have that go w/ the suit jacket are both wider style leg, not the really  narrow cut kind I feel like ppl are wearing now...do ppl wear wider leg pants still? ugh. The skirt is knee length w/ a slight flare at the bottom. I work in a female dominated field, also.

• Options

I haven't seen or heard of people wearing hose until this board!  I work in a very laid back dress code kind of place though (a school.)  People I work with never wear pantyhose with dresses.  Is that the norm to wear hose still?  I would simply shave my legs and put on some matching shoes. :)  I obviously voted skirt also. 

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    In my highly conservative industry, skirts are a MUST for interviews. Wearing pants would be a big faux pas and turn heads. 
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    I've worn both so it would depend on where and how big the company is.  I always wear stockings too b/c they have been required at previous jobs I've been at and I never really know so I error on the side of caution.  I also live in the north so that may make a difference.
  • Options

I voted skirt, but i wouldn't wear hose.  I didn't know anyone wore it anymore, except maybe in the wintertime.  Conservative closed toe pumps with a jacket, knee length skirt, and a conservative top would be fine - professional and tidy which is the image you want to convey.  Unless you have really unsightly legs??

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Netty_3Netty_3 member
    I said skirt, because while looking for a job last year I read somewhere that most places still like to see skirts on women (professional not short) and skirt-suit deals for interviews. Also, in the warmer weather it may be nice.  You can wear sheer pantyhose that aren't heavy.
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers Anniversary
  • Options
    Aloe0lAloe0l member
    I feel like skirts are more formal than pants.  I dunno why.  I've never owned a pant-suit, just skirt-suits.
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    I'd wear pants.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"