High-Risk Pregnancy
Options

Incompotent cervix and cerclage

I recently lost a baby due to incompotent cervix.  My DH and I plan to try again, but our OB has told us that I will need a cerclage to carry to term.

I have read the statistics online and they basically align with what our doctor says.  But I want to be able to hear from real women about their success rates and otherr considerations.  If you all don't mind my asking, of those of you with IC:

When (if at all) did you have your cerclage?

When (if at all) did you go on bed rest?

What kind of complications have you had related to the IC during the pregnancy?

We want to plan financially (especially for the bed rest), so your answer might give me a better idea of what to maybe expect.

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

imageimage
BFP #1 - 01/12/12, EDD 09/12/12, Medical Induction @ 21 weeks 05/03/12
BFP #2 - 10/30/12, EDD 07/04/13, Natural m/c @ 5 weeks 11/01/12
BFP #3 - 02/07/13, EDD 10/12/13
Dx: Incompotent Cervix

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickersLilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

Re: Incompotent cervix and cerclage

• Options

Very sorry for your loss.

My wife has a TVCIC (a type of transvaginal cerclage). I posted our whole story a while back here: https://community.thebump.com/cs/ks/forums/thread/64571515.aspx 

Short versions: she got it as an emergency cerclage at 19 weeks after delivering one of our two twins in a procedure called Delayed Interval Delivery. She is still pregnant at 31 weeks, a very rare but amazing miracle.

She was on prescribed bedrest for about 1 week after the procedure and our loss until we had our next appointment. Since then, she's been asked to be a couch potato but isn't on formal prescribed bedrest. She wasn't working before getting pregnant, but she bakes from home and has not been able to do much baking since getting pregnant since that is a fairly intensive, on your feet thing. Many woman who have a cerclage, especially preventative cerclages, do not need bedrest. One woman with a cerclage on another IC forum that I post on is having a scheduled delivery next Monday, and is working up through this Friday. Not needing bedrest is probably even more true for people who get preventative TAC and TVCIC cerclages. Not to say it can't happen, especially if you have a physically strenuous job, but it's not a foregone conclusion.

Obviously the main complication for us was actually losing one of our twins before the cerclage was placed, but since then she's been incredibly lucky to have basically not had any further pregnancy complications, and she is monitored like a hawk with us seeing either our MFM or OB every week (and this week we start twice a week). 

https://ic.hobh.org/forums is a fantastic support forum for anything related to IC, cerclage, etc. Lots of success stories and women who have been through the worst of IC and almost all come out the other side with a happy ending.

Father of a Delayed Interval Delivery/Rescue TVCIC Cerclage miracle, Milo Thomas
  • Options

When (if at all) did you have your cerclage? I had a rescue cerclage this pregnancy at 20 weeks after finding out my cervix was dilated 2cm

When (if at all) did you go on bed rest? I was on complete hospital bed rest for 2 weeks and am currently on strict bed rest at home

What kind of complications have you had related to the IC during the pregnancy? None, we discovered it after a tiny amount of spotting at almost 19 weeks

We want to plan financially (especially for the bed rest), so your answer might give me a better idea of what to maybe expect.

Since your cerclage would be preventative your bed rest will probably be much different. I am sorry for your loss and best of luck in the future
    married July 25, 2009
    ttc since May, 2010
    dx: PCOS May 2011
    HSG - all clear!! :)
    4 rounds of clomid - all no response
    11/11 - Round 1 Follistim + Ovidrel trigger w/IUI - Mild OHSS + BFN
    12/11 - Round 2 Follistim + Ovidrel trigger w/IUI - BFP!!!! Mild OHSS again
    beta 16dpiui - 469, beta 20dpiui -2,050
    2nd u/s- TWINS!
    Carter & Sydney were born at 24 weeks and are currently in the NICU
    image image image
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

When (if at all) did you have your cerclage? 19 & 21 weeks (first one failed)

When (if at all) did you go on bed rest? The day of the first cerclage.  I was out of work from June to December.

What kind of complications have you had related to the IC during the pregnancy? None.  Well, my water broke at 32 weeks but that's mostly due to my breech LO stomping all day I think.  I suppose that plus the sutures and inflammation from the cerc could've had something to do with it also. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

I am so sorry about your loss.  

I had an cerclage put in at 20 weeks because my cervix was starting to dilate.

I was in the hospital for two days after the surgery, and on strict bed rest for two weeks. I went to the high risk ob this morning and was told I could go back to somewhat normal things, I can not work, or stand for to long, I can go on small outings but I have to rest before and after, and also this might be tmi but no sexual contact of any kind becuase they do not want my uterus or cervix contracting and no swimming or bath tubs

I was told that I would have to have a preventative cerclage with all my future babies that will be put in at 12 weeks and I will have to be on bed rest for two weeks but free to do anything after that.

View Full Size Image

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options

Thanks to everyone that replied.  These stories sound better than some of the ambiguous information on Google.  I'd be okay with my water breaking post-30 weeks if that all we can next time.  It's better than the alternative.

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

imageimage
    BFP #1 - 01/12/12, EDD 09/12/12, Medical Induction @ 21 weeks 05/03/12
    BFP #2 - 10/30/12, EDD 07/04/13, Natural m/c @ 5 weeks 11/01/12
    BFP #3 - 02/07/13, EDD 10/12/13
    Dx: Incompotent Cervix

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickersLilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

• Options

Hi there! I'm currently 30 weeks 5 days pregnant and had my cerclage put in at 18 weeks when I went in to do our gender scan (imagine my shock when I'm told we're having a girl, followed with.... uhh you're going to need surgery!).... but anyways... My perinatal doctor is great.... when the cerclage was put in.. my cervix was almost completely thinned and less than one cm long....... but I was dilated yet.

I have had NO complications so far. My daughter is a 2 vessel cord baby....but seems to be doing fine ( i dont think the incompetent cervix has ANYTHING to do with her 2 vessel cord).....

I was off work for about 3 days after the cerclage went in...but was able to return to work. However, this past week I went in (at 30 weeks) and the doctor said that my little girl was already head down pretty low and laying on a ligament that is REALLY painful on the right side of my thigh/vagina... so he went ahead and wrote me off for work. I'm still not on strict bedrest... just modified loosely.. essentially....if I hurt......sit down/lay down.

My experience has been fine so far. Lots of praying, lots of support, and constant contact with the doctor! :) Best of luck to you!

• Options
    I have an incompotent cervix as well.  I found out at 21wks, 6days.  I had some funneling and my cervix was only 8mm and extremely soft.  Very scary since I had no symptoms.  The next day I had my cerclage put in and was put on cery strict hospital bed rest for a month, went home at 26 wks, and was on stict at home bed rest until 35wks.  I am now 37wks and I will be getting my cerclage taken out this week!  And now the doc is talking about inducing.  I have had a few mc in the past, so i understand.  It will get better I promise.  Now that you know, you will be able to be prepared.  Good Luck!
  • Options

I am so sorry for your loss. My thoughts and prayers are with you.  

We lost our daughter in December at 21 weeks when I had PROM and went into preterm labor. We are now 22 weeks with a little boy. I had a cerclage placed on the 31st because of funneling, soft cervix and shortening. After the procedure my cervix shortened from 2.5-3cm to 1cm that was discovered yesterday at my followup appt. I am now on total bed rest and allowed to the bathroom and 5 minute showers. Since I am a RN and work 12hr shifts, the dr considered putting me on light duty with only 8hr work days but since my cervix continued to shorten he felt that this was best. I'll get checked again in 2 weeks and receive steroid injections for our little guys lungs. I hope this helps you a little. 

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"