Blended Families
Options

Does this constitute some sort of neglect?

Does not filling a prescription constitute any sort of medical neglect?

It's for a medication that could stop a seizure while in progress.

BM says SS's Dr. says they don't know what caused him to have a seizure, all tests came back fine, and she says they told her there is "only" a 20% chance he would ever have one again (20% is a lot if you ask me especially considering he's a child).

I think she really isn't concerned about it happening again,and that is why she didn't have it filled (2.5wks ago). We are about to have the kids for summer (we are long distance) and I will be filling the prescription because I'm not comfortable with those odds. Just curious if this is one of those things I am overreacting to or if indeed it's seems neglectful?

Re: Does this constitute some sort of neglect?

• Options
    Ginlyn0Ginlyn0 member

I'm not sure but if I were you I would get a second opinion before begining a medication the BM is against. Most anti-seizure meds can't just be started and stopped so if your DH were going to give the medication I would get some sort of information in writing from a second doctor before begining the medication and then submit that evidence to the court & BM. Otherwise you might cause a seizure by giving the medication when he is with you and BM not giving him the medication when he is with her.

DD(14),SD(13),SS(11),SS(9),DS(3)

• Options

Oh no this is not an ongoing med, it's one you keep on hand just incase he ever has another one, it would stop it in it's tracks.

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I think this is one of those "common sense" situations.  Common sense says there is a 20% chance that he might have another seizure and will need the medication.  So keep the medication on hand in case that 20% occurs.  Since it's not an ongoing medication, I don't know if a Court would find BM negligent in not keeping it on hand.  Have your husband call and talk with SS's Dr and get a better idea of what's going on.  A lot of times information is interpreted and relayed differently, so it doesn't hurt to have your husband hear the diagnosis from the Dr directly.

Created by MyFitnessPal - Free Weight Loss Tools

• Options

DH has ordered copies of all the medical records, we hope to have them by the time we get the kids for summer.

• Options
    I agree w/ what pp said about this is just a common sense thing.  BM SHOULD have these on hand.  Im not sure why she would take it as something frivilous. That does seem weird to me.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

No. And I don't really understand filling a rx in a situation like this. There's a 20% chance he'll have another seizure... okay, so is he supposed to keep the meds on him all the time? Meds expire--will she just constantly refill an unused rx? I also haven't ever heard of giving a pill to someone in the midst of a seizure. Did the doctor explain how to do it in a way that would be safe for both the adult administering the med and the child?

I've known a couple people with epilepsy, and with them, we just had to ride out the seizure. Any meds/therapies they were on were to reduce the likelihood/endurance/severity of their seizures. A lot of kids have febrile seizures, and I can see why it would be important to stop those. But those wouldn't come out of the blue.

Assuming it's not incredibly expensive, I would fill it, because...well, why not? But I also wouldn't think someone was wrong or a bad parent for not doing it.

my read shelf:
    Erin's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • Options
    imagefellesferie:

No. And I don't really understand filling a rx in a situation like this. There's a 20% chance he'll have another seizure... okay, so is he supposed to keep the meds on him all the time? Meds expire--will she just constantly refill an unused rx? I also haven't ever heard of giving a pill to someone in the midst of a seizure. Did the doctor explain how to do it in a way that would be safe for both the adult administering the med and the child?

I've known a couple people with epilepsy, and with them, we just had to ride out the seizure. Any meds/therapies they were on were to reduce the likelihood/endurance/severity of their seizures. A lot of kids have febrile seizures, and I can see why it would be important to stop those. But those wouldn't come out of the blue.

Assuming it's not incredibly expensive, I would fill it, because...well, why not? But I also wouldn't think someone was wrong or a bad parent for not doing it.

It is not taken by mouth. My thoughts are that it is better to have it and not need it, than need it and not have it. If a doctor prescribed it, he/she must've thought it was a good idea to have on hand. It seems like peace of mind if nothing else. I'm not taking those odds with ANY child, I'm kind of surprised any parent would.

The current "dose" has a year shelf life.

• Options

I was raised by a nurse, and so my perspective is a little skewed. We didn't go to the doctor unless we had a broken limb or something. I was also a medical writer for 2 years, and so I have a lot of experience in the business side of doctors and hospitals. 

I agree that it's better to have it, but I wouldn't think ill of a parent for not filling it.

What I would probably do is try to get a second opinion. If they can't find any clear indication of what caused the seizure, I would be pretty hesitant to want to give my kids any medication for it.  

my read shelf:
    Erin's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • Options

IMO this is similar to a life-saving medication like an epi-pen (used for anaphylactic shock).  I have one, but haven't had to use it in over 6 years.  Doesn't mean I will be going anywhere without it any time soon.

It's probably not considered medical neglect though.  If you offer to fill it yearly would she be willing to carry it?

Mama of 2: one who grew in my womb, both who grow in my heart.
  • Options
    imageFutureMrsWittig:

IMO this is similar to a life-saving medication like an epi-pen (used for anaphylactic shock).  I have one, but haven't had to use it in over 6 years.  Doesn't mean I will be going anywhere without it any time soon.

It's probably not considered medical neglect though.  If you offer to fill it yearly would she be willing to carry it?

I agree with this. He should have it at all times, but I doubt there is anything you can do about it.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

Please understand that I'm not trying to be antagonistic or rude, here. But I just don't understand what's going on in this post. 

Yes, seizures are hard to watch. But unless we're talking about febrile seizures, they are not really associated with anything life endangering. The biggest concern with a seizure--at least until the doc can figure out why it's happening--is that the child will hurt themselves while convulsing. 

Again, if it were me, I would go ahead and fill the scrip because I can't think of a reason to not at least fill it. But it really shocks me to hear that people think that choosing not to give your kid a med like this is neglectful. There's no diagnosed condition and a high probability that it will never happen again. It's not like the child is a diagnosed diabetic and the mom is choosing not to administer insulin. 

I had a vasovagal seizure a few years ago, by the way. I don't carry around anything.

kidshealth.org is a good resource for questions like this. In my 2 years of writing articles and interviewing docs/nurses, this was my best resource for background info. Here is what they say about seizures:  https://kidshealth.org/parent/firstaid_safe/emergencies/seizure.html

my read shelf:
  • Options

@wendi - it's diazepam given rectally (awful I know). It indicates on the package that it's a gel. There are two syringe looking applicators that the pharmacist "dialed up" to the dosage when I had the prescription filled.

This is not something given all the time, just to STOP a seizure if one happens again. Like someone else said similiar to an epi pen. "In case of" type use. Not for long term use or prevention or treatment, just a stopping it in it's tracks type use.

@fellesferie Thanks for the info, I post here on purpose to get other perspectives. I respect hearing the other side of an issue. A lot of times knowing that we are so emotionally charged when it comes to BM I ask questions here to make sure my view on a subject isn't just  clouded by the negative emotions we have due to the bad history with her.

• Options
    I don't know your history with BM but it sounds to me like you are grasping at straws to paint BM in a bad light.  No it isn't medical neglect and if that is her choice to not have it on hand then that is her choice.  If the seizures themselves are not life threatening than I don't see why you are concerned about what she does when she has her child.  Unless she is BSC I'm sure she loves her child and doesn't want anything horrible to happen and is capable of making these decisions as well.  I also don't see how administering a medication rectally through a syringe during a seizure is very safe either, that part confuses me.
    Pregnancy Ticker

• Options

I know BM loves her kids. I sometimes just don't trust her judgement based on her past behavior.

As for the seizures, the seizure he had was not a convulsion type seizure, that is my only guess as to why this type of medication was prescribed by the doctor. I don't profess to know or understand it all. You are welcome to google it and maybe you will be less confused. I had to google as well as I had zero knowledge of seizures before this. I just want the meds on hand as prescribed by the doctor "just in case". God knows I hope no one EVER has to administer it.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"