VBAC
Options

Success stories for VBAC over age 40?

JKohioJKohio member

I'm 42 and pg with our 2nd. My son's birth was an attempted induction on my due date (because I was 38) that turned into a c-section (non-emergency). The reason for that c-section was that the baby's head was apparently larger than my body could accommodate and that the cord was wrapped around the baby's head. So, he was basically stressed. There were zero complications with the 1st pregnancy and so far, there are none with this one either. I'm 18 weeks along right now. All I know is that they won't be inducing this time around. At the moment, we're figuring it would have to be a scheduled c-section, which I guess is ok, but part of me wonders if a v-birth would have a more straightforward recovery and such. (My son will be 4yrs old when the baby is born.)

My doc isn't encouraging me regarding VBAC for this one because of my age, but I was wondering if anyone out there has had a successful VBAC at an older age and what the circumstances of your c-section and subsequent VBAC were. What was the reason for your 1st (or multiple) c/s and what made you a good candidate for VBAC? How did the VBAC turn out?

I know that everyone's different and you really don't know what's going to happen until it does, but thanks for any input. :)

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Success stories for VBAC over age 40?

• Options
    I honestly don't think I've ever heard of age being a reason to induce early. Is that common? I'm almost 35 and it certainly hasn't come up. I know it's an issue for getting pregnant, and increased risk of down syndrome.... but L&D?
    image > Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    JKohioJKohio member

imagedangerkitty102:
    I honestly don't think I've ever heard of age being a reason to induce early. Is that common? I'm almost 35 and it certainly hasn't come up. I know it's an issue for getting pregnant, and increased risk of down syndrome.... but L&D?

Technically, I wasn't induced 'early', rather it was right ON my due date. The idea was that they wouldn't let me go past the due date because of the potential for placental quality to break down after that point which I guess is (supposedly) common for that age? Personally, I don't like that they consider over 35 to be 'AMA' (advanced maternal age) just because of a number. I mean, geez, I'm healthy, exercise regularly, have never been overweight nor have I ever had any bad habits (smoking, excessive drinking, etc). But, they wanted to induce on my date if I didn't go into labor naturally and I wasn't about to push the issue. I just wanted my son to be as healthy as he could be. Also, by 40 weeks I was ready to be done. :)

• Loading the player...
  • Options

While I have reaad that the success rate for VBAC goes down when you are older, it doesn't say you shouldn't try.  The fact that they induced on your due date just because of things that "could" happen doesn't make sense.  Things could happen at any moment on any day!  Perhaps they'd be willing to monitor you more closely the later weeks for signs of placenta issues?

I'd consider a different doctor, if possible.  It seems that you and your current doctor are not on the same page and you don't want to be disagreeing up until the delivery.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers image image
  • Options
    JKohioJKohio member

Switching doctors certainly is a possibility, but I first I wanted to hear actual stories from women who have successfully had a VBAC at an older age. I guess I just would like to get a feel for how often it happens (how possible it is in the real world) and then move forward from there.

I don't have any experience with this (obviously) and I don't know any women around my age who have even attempted a VBAC. This board seemed like a potential source to find out about personal experiences for this situation. Anyone have some to share?

• Options
    TwizzleTwizzle member

I don't have personal experience, but I will be going for VBAC at age 38 in August.  I haven't ever heard of age as a reason to be induced either.  At age 38 they have told me that I can go to 41w6d before induction as long as baby and I are still doing well.

Have you looked at the VBAC calculators such as this one? https://www.bsc.gwu.edu/mfmu/vagbirth.html  It looks like your predicted chance of VBAC decreases by only 1% with each year of increase in age.  So you have only a 7% lower probability of having successful VBAC as a 35 year old.   Not a huge difference if you ask me.

I also think that you have to take these calculators with a grain of salt.  They can give you some info, but women who score a 80% can fail to VBAC while women who score 30% can have a successful one (this is a quote from my MW).  I think what's far more important that can impact your chances for success is how prepared and determined you are and how supportive your providers are.   It doesn't sound like your provider is that supportive of you having a VBAC. 

• Options

I have never heard of placental quality decreasing after your EDD more because of age.  I had my DS at 36 and we were well within the 42nd week and his NST and Apgar scores were all perfect.  No problems with the placenta.

I don't have a success story for you yet, but have you tried your local ICAN chapter?

Also, I interviewed several practitioners about VBAC.  I am 38 and no one ever said anything about age being a meaningful factor for labor and delivery and chances of success with VBAC.  I think if you're really interested in VBAC you should try a different OB or midwife who is more supportive.
  • Options

FWIW, I turned 40 two weeks before my son was born. I was induced 3 days after his due date but ended up with an emergency c-section when I got to 7cm b/c the cord was around his neck and his heart rate was dropping.

I'm now pg with what will hopefully be our 2nd and the due date is a month before I turn 42. My doc's practice and the hospital I'll deliver in again both allow VBAC, and before I could even ask about it, my doc brought it up as an option.

Obviously, at this point, It's still early enough that it's hard to say how things will go come December, but based on the feedback I got from my doc, age isn't necessarily a factor. She would have been more concerned if I had labored and  not progressed, or ended up like my SIL who had a c-section after 18 hours of labor b/c baby wouldn't fit (she's very thin). Since I was progressing but didn't ever have the chance to start laboring hard or try pushing, she thinks I'm a good candidate for vbac, if I want it.

So, based on all that, I guess my question for your doc would be: Is it really your age that makes him/her hesitate or is it because of the circumstances of your son's birth (head being too large for your body to accommodate)? I can understand why that might be an issue, if you figure a 2nd baby would end up similarly sized and your body would be just as likely or unlikely to accommodate a delivery as it was the first time.

• Options
    I know this is an old post but how did your second birth go? I'm in the exact same position at the moment I am 32 weeks pregnant and will be 41 in July.
  • Options
    My doctor said the same thing about the placenta deteriorating after 40 weeks gestation .
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"