Maryland Babies

Beach stuff?

DH, DS and I are going on our first family vacation (and DH's & my first vacation in 3 years!!) in July! I'm super excited, but a little nervous about going on vacation with DS. We are staying at a beach-front condo, so that should be convenient at least.

What do you bring with you to the beach (meaning, when you actually go down to the sand/water)? Chairs? Umbrella? Tent? What is something I maybe haven't thought of that will help us out, especially with DS?

BFP#1: 01/10, M/C 6w
BFP#2: 06/10, M/C 5w
BFP#3: 09/10, DS born June 1, 2011
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BFP#4: 07/12, M/C 5w3d
BFP#5: 12/12, EDD 08/18/13
Pregnancy Ticker

My Blog: Decorate This

Re: Beach stuff?

• A small blow up baby pool was great for DD.  She was happy to sit and play between that and her beach tent when we weren't in the water.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • Multiple buckets and shovels--our first trip to the beach, our daughter lost THREE buckets when the waves came up closer than expected.

She liked playing with the wet sand because it wasn't too hot, but in that week trip, we lost three buckets...

Also, my mother bought us last year this WONDERFUL umbrella that is huge and you set it down on the ground--it also has anchors to make sure it doesn't blow away in the wind. She got it at Home Depot.

This has been a huge help, it's 50spf and easy to set up and put away and awesome for the beach. All three of you can comfortably sit under it. (I have it set up at home to cover half her little pool so that I can sit in the shade near her and the water doesn't get too hot).

Chairs...eh, I wouldn't go for those. Just a blanket--go for the simpler stuff as you'll have lots of baby stuff to go with you :)

You might want to see about bringing a wagon or something to tote your stuff around in and in case you guys want to walk to board walk or something, that way you can just tow him along.

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Cooler with drinks for everyone. I have a peapod tent, extra towels, swim diapers, sunscreen, beach toys, snacks, hat, sunglasses...

That's all I have for now. Let me keep thinking! 

• Snacks, cups that won't get too much sand in them, a small cooler. 

Umbrella for us(though we just rented one last year) and a tent for the kids if they were hot. Either will work to shade the kids. 

Sand toys and shovels. Multiple towels, hat, sunglasses. Toys that you don't mind getting sandy.  

A wagon or something is a good idea for hauling everything but if your condo is beach front, you'll probably be okay. Basically, make sure you take everything with you so you don't have to keep making trips back and forth on the hot sand :)

If you need to borrow our tent or our wagon, you're more than welcome to :)

Where are you guys going? 

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
  • imageKaybee44:

Thanks so much - I will keep your offer in mind :)

We are going to Ocean City. My family always went to Rehoboth or OBX and DH's family always went to OC. The MD/DE beaches are so much closer so that's where we're headed this year, but I love OBX so we will try to get down there hopefully in the next year or 2!

BFP#1: 01/10, M/C 6w
    BFP#2: 06/10, M/C 5w
    BFP#3: 09/10, DS born June 1, 2011

BFP#4: 07/12, M/C 5w3d
    BFP#5: 12/12, EDD 08/18/13
    Pregnancy Ticker

My Blog: Decorate This
  • We haven't been since DD was teeny tiny, but we usually bring the following:

Tent - I emailed you about it. 

Chairs

Towels

Extra sunscreen

Toys

Cooler with drinks and snacks

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Baby Powder...it takes the sand off MUCH easier than hosing down the baby with cold hose water before heading back to the condo. 
    image DD#1-Lillian (Lilly) Grace BabyFruit Ticker BLOG:http://lifeasweknowitkelly.blogspot.com/
  • imageSarahKate31:
    imageKaybee44:

Thanks so much - I will keep your offer in mind :)

We are going to Ocean City. My family always went to Rehoboth or OBX and DH's family always went to OC. The MD/DE beaches are so much closer so that's where we're headed this year, but I love OBX so we will try to get down there hopefully in the next year or 2!

We're probably going in July as well(the weekend after the 4th) but only for a weekend so we'll probably not hit the beach. Maybe we'll see each other there :)

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
  • Mella&TMella&T member

Haha, I'm already mentally planning for our July beach trip too!

Get this. We saw them ALL over the beach last year so we bought one a few months ago and we've already used a ton in the backyard. We're planning on taking it to Great Grapes this weekend and we know it'll make the beach enjoyable this year. (Last year we were so unprepared and it sucked). This product is amazing.

Ditto the kiddie pool and the baby powder. We don't have experience with either but I've heard the baby powder is amazing and I know the kiddie pool will come in handy at the beach so she can play in the water in the shade. 

We're also taking a really big blanket (it's really a quilt) because we're banking on her hating the sand so she'll have a nice big blanketed area to play on.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Someone's getting a little brother!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • As pp mentioned the basic mat/ blanket , lots of toys sunscreen - we had 1 big pail with water and JD was content playing under / near the umbrella .

We used a beach caddy - they have em at Bed bath beyond, ollies those places and my DH wheeled that with the gear and I carried or walked DS . 

I found these awesome slipper socks on one step ahead recently that I will be using now for the hot sand - they rock!!!

We brought a portable cooler  and that worked in the caddy, sunglasses , hat , sunscreen , baby powder - all the basics 

if you have beach front condo you can just put up your umbrella and chairs for the day and pretty safely leave them there since you can keep an eye on em - or you can rent them and not have to worry and have someone else do the heavy lifting

Enjoy ! We hope to get somewhere this summer too 

• I second Mella's suggestion of the sport brella and did anyone suggest a kiddie pool? I think i read that and I second that too. We brought a blow up kiddie pool to OBX last year and it was great for DD and our friends daughter who is the same age. I think they're too mobile and interested in other things this year though but Caelan would probably like it. It didn't take long to blow up every day at the each and was much more portable when it was deflated. 

imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Lilypie First Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"