November 2011 Moms
Options

Great vacation, terrible ending!

Just got back from our big family vacation to Branson, MO.  There was so much more to do there than I was expecting!  We went to the Butterfly Palace one day, DD LOVED it!  I sat on a bench with her for a while and she had no trouble watching all the butterflies flying around her, she never complained! The 12+ hr drive went really well for the most part.  She slept most of the way as I expected, and I was able to pump in the car and feed her with the bottle so we didn't have to pull over for me to nurse.  It was a great first family vacation!!

Until the last day....  Our last night there DH got a call from his boss, letting him know they only way they could keep him working this summer, was for him to be on the road in Nebraska, through August!!  And of course it was extremely last minute, he got the call last Thursday, and he left this morning.  So as of this morning it's just me and DD all summer.  :(   He won't be able to come home to visit until atleast July, but I'm hoping that I can get out there with DD in a couple weeks, even if it's just for the weekend.  (it's a 9 hr drive though) 

So, anyone else have a DH/SO who is on the road for extended periods?  Any advice if you do?  I'm just sad that he's pretty much going to miss out on a quarter of her first year, especially the summer since we were so excited to do new things with her. 

BFP #1 August 2007, Lost Nov 2007, no heartbeat found at anatomy ultrasound at 19 wks
BFP #2 March 2011, Baby Girl born November 2011!!!
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Great vacation, terrible ending!

• Options
    I don't have a DH who travels or goes for long times, but I wanted to say I'm sorry to hear this.  I'm sure it will be tough but you will survive. Try to fill the days with people you love and who can support you.  Do you guys have Skype that he can see you and talk to you all while gone?  Hang in there.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Anniversary
  • Options

Thanks, luckily DH's family is all really close by and have all told me to call them for everything.  I know they will be helpful when I need help or a break. 

Unfortunately, we don't have webcams, but we both downloaded an app on our phones to video chat.  Couldn't get it to work quite right before he left, but hopefully we can get it to work soon! 

BFP #1 August 2007, Lost Nov 2007, no heartbeat found at anatomy ultrasound at 19 wks
    BFP #2 March 2011, Baby Girl born November 2011!!!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    caffrincaffrin member
    Aw I'm so sorry! I know how hard it is to have your DH away! My hubby is in the Navy and missed the first 3 months of DS life and is gone 2 weeks-a month at a time each month. It's definitely hard! Although DH is pretty tough about it, I know he feels terrible that he is missing so much and I feel so sad everytime DS reaches a new milestone that daddy missed again! You can download skype on your phones and it seems to be the best option for video chat. And beware that your LO may need a couple days to warm back up to your DH when you do see him. And remind your DH of that too! My hubby is always ready for some hesitation from DS when he gets home so he isn't upset when DS is a little stand offish at first. Good luck!
         Lilypie - (2Lt7)      Lilypie - (WFOL)

Jonah Stephen born at 39w on 11/3/2011                Naomi Isabel born at 37w 5d on 5/27/2013
  • Options
    My DH is gone a lot, for weeks or months at a time.  You'll figure it out.  It's hard initially, but after awhile you get into a new routine and then he comes back and messes it all up!  :)  I think days 7-10 are very difficult.  Everything before that is usually okay, and then days 7-10 always royally suck and then everything gets better again.
    Mama to Lucy (7/06), Lexi (5/09), and Max (11/11) M/C 12/17/10
  • Options
    That's does suck! DH traveled a lot until he changed jobs this past March. He even had to leave on a business trip the week after DS was born! We did a lot of video chatting on our phones. Just be sure to send him lots of pictures via phone or email. That's what kept DH from being so homesick. Other than that I don't really have any advice. You're lucky to have family close by!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"