C-sections
Options

C-section Worries...

I had a c-section with my last pregnancy and i got fully knocked out for the procedure but this time i thought it would be nice for my husband to be there but im not sure if i want to be awake.... i know that you dont feel any pain just pushing and pulling but i guess im just a little unsure about it becuase i dont want to freak out and iv got a big feeling i will,

Is there anyone that can give me some advice on what would be best ???  

Re: C-section Worries...

• Options
    well lets see... i have a huge fear of needles, so the day I failed out non stress test and found out I would be having a csection 5 hours later, i was really scared. They put the IV in my arm and that didnt work so I got it in my hand which hurt really bad but you do what you have to do. Then I got a blood draw to find out all my levels so the anistesiologist would know how much medicine to give me. then they did a quick ultrasound to see which way the baby was laying. I walked back into the OR, sat up on the table, the anisesiologist numbed my back with a very thin needle which just felt like a mosquito bite. Then my back was numb and then he inserted the bigger needle which just felt like pressure. I could feel pressure in my hips that was the medicine going in, it was a weird feeling but no pain. Then after I was numb, they gave me a catheter which I didnt feel go in at all. Then my husband came in, and they got started. I didnt feel anything but pressure. I felt them pushing on my stomach to get the baby out and that was it! They stitched and glued me up. I got a little nauseaus at that point. It took about 20 minutes to put me back together. I was taken to recovery where my baby and husband met me there. My pain was managed, I was up in a chair that same night, my csection was at 2pm that same day. They had my pain under control and the healing process was fairly easy! I walked out of the hospital to my apartment that has no elevator and i live on the 3rd floor. I walked up the stairs, no problem. It wasnt bad at all. really, im serious. you will be okay, be excited! the worst of the pain that day was my IV! I was surprised at how easy it was. Good luck! dont freak out
  • Options
    jb2rnjb2rn member

You don't typically get a choice if you get general anesthesia or not. Most likely you had GA because you had a sick baby or other medical issue where baby needed to get out - right now.

Since your second c section is going to be planned, they will do an epidural or spinal anesthesia. I promise you won't feel anything, although the "pressure" was more than I expected.

Tell your OB of of your fears. They can give you an anti anxiety med IV if needed. And the spinal/epi is tested before they make a cut.

GA recovery would be much more difficult, and is not best for baby. It's only used if needed.

Best of luck, I think you will be suprised it really is ok.

b/w=FSH 15.6, AMH 0.4 surprise natural BFP on 3/12/11
    DS born via unplanned C-section at 40w6d

• Loading the player...
  • Options

It is really not bad, once you are numb you really cannot feel anything.  The pushing and pulling you can feel, which is kind of weird, but it doesn't hurt at all.  The thing I didn't realize is that I would get really shaky during the surgery.  I mean literally, my arms and everything were shaking.  The anesthesiologist said that is really common, I just didn't know it was going to happen so it freaked me out a bit.  Overall though the experience was not that bad or scary.  The anesthesiologists were there above the curtain the whole time with me and DH telling us what was going on, and telling me what to expect.  They were amazing. 

The epidural was scary for me, but once it came time to get it it was not a big deal either.  I think I hyped it up in my mind a lot.  The anesthesiologist was so good, and they really are understanding of people's fears.  Just let them know. 

GL!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

I will tell you this was my position 5 days ago. I was knocked out for DD's birth and was so nervous/scared about my c-section with DS. In the end things could not have been better. I am not going to say it was all roses but the worse part of it for me was after getting the spinal I suddenly got really sick, but I just told the doctor and he fixed it right away.

The only pushing and pulling I really felt was when they were getting DS out. Other than that I felt light touch and slight tugging but nothing that really alarmed me.  The best part was getting to experience all the stuff I did not get to experience with DD. Hearing DS's first cry, hearing that I had a boy (we were team green)

Not to mention recovery this time around has been easy as pie. I feel perfect and have not needed to take pain medication with the exception of something before bed due to having some lingering back pain from the spinal, that by the end of the day is pretty bad.

Just remember to breath, take deep breaths and relax as much as possible. It really helped to have DH there telling me it was OK and holding my hand even though I knew he was nervous as well.

• Options
    ZimgerZimger member

It scared the daylights out of me when they told me I needed an emergency c-section. The biggest worry I had was when they inserted the needle. The doctor told me to arch my back and not move. Not easy with that big ol belly lol! I was afraid I would accidently move and screw something up. But I didn't they hold onto you and help you through it. They had too push down pretty hard when they went to take him out...it made it a little hard to breathe beyond that it was okay. I just concentrated on doing what I needed to do for LO. The recovery was a little rough but I healed well. Just talk to your doc. Let them know how you're feeling.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    My c section was unplanned but I was really tired and kind of out. I didn't get general anesthesia but don't remember feeling pressure or anything. I go on c sections as part of my Job and that seems to be a issue for some people is the pressure but it only lasts a min or two and then you get to see your precious baby. I would say I don't think u have a choice as someone else said. I think they only do that if they absolutely need to for various reasons. Good luck!! I think you will be fine and I would think you would be better with just the spinal or epidural rather than general. 
  • Options
    Thanx :-) 
  • Options

Thanx :-) everyone im feeling alot more calmer on the subject now :-D

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"