High-Risk Pregnancy
Options

Pemphigoid Gestationis

I have just been diagnosed with Pemphigoid Gestationis after 3 misdiagnoses. I have tried to read about it online however there is very little about it. Doc says high doses of steroids will ease the discomfort however it is not safe for the baby and since I am already high risk I am not going to take the steroids. What I have gotten so far is that this could last for up to 6 weeks after I have the baby and the baby could potentially be born with blisters that would go away in a couple of days. Has anyone had this or known anyone that has had this. Any suggestions, I am so itchy, I itch in my sleep to the point of waking up bloody. I am miserable :(

Re: Pemphigoid Gestationis

• Options
    KadyraKadyra member
    Who told you steroids were not safe? Ask any severe asthmatic about taking steroids in pregnancy. After the first tri, if it's necessary, it doesn't affect the baby as long as it's not long term. I have a weird pregnancy rash right now I was going to ask about steroids for and I've already been on them once for asthma. With DS I was on steroids a few times for my asthma. Did you also know that a different type of steroid is used to help mature fetal lungs, prevent brain hemorrhage, and protect the intestines of babies who may be born prematurely? I sincerely hope it wasn't an ob who told you this about the steroids or I'll be very embarrassed for my profession. 
    Photobucket Lilypie Premature Baby tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • Options
    The ER doc and a dermatologist told me the type and dose I would need to help ease the discomfort of this condition it not safe. I don't know anything about steroids in pregnancy only what I have been told by the docs and they have told me that they were unsafe for me. I posted because I have never heard of this condition I now have and was just wondering if anyone else had experienced this and did anything specific to relieve the discomfort.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    KadyraKadyra member
    From my own reading on this in my high risk ob textbooks, steroids are the only treatment. There are also articles about it from reputable journals. PM me with your email address and I can send them to you. 
    Photobucket Lilypie Premature Baby tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"