Pre-School and Daycare
Options

Recently potty trained, now holds it ALL day?

I don't usually post on this board, but I need some ideas... so thanks in advance!

DS will be 4 at the end of August. 

We tried potty training at Christmas, and it was a big fat fail.  We backed off and let it go.  Since then, he'd shown interest, but not a ton.  We didn't push because of DD's pending arrival in March. 

On Mother's Day- so 2 weeks ago, DS decided he wanted to wear underwear instead of a pull up or a diaper.  Yay!  He did pretty well for 3 days- he had a few blips, but nothing horrendous.  Then he got an ugly ear infection and pretty much slept for 3+ days.  We put him in pull ups during this time because even walking from point A to B was a chore.  Last Sunday, he wanetd underwear again.  He did really well all week.  He had one accident. 

Come Wednesday, he was asking for a pull up.. he needed to poop and didn't want to go in the potty.  Since we put one on him at night, he pooped the next morning before I came to get him (smart kid).  Friday he had to go again.  DH got him to go.  He was rewarded. 

Fast forward to Saturday?  He got up in the morning and peed.  Then he didn't go again the rest of the day until we forced him.  He's now got some sort of fear of the potty.  It's basically been a week since he started wearing underwear again, and this was his choosing not ours, but he doesn't want to go potty.  I don't want him to hold it so long that he does physical harm to himself.  But I want him to be done with diapers/pull ups

Re: Recently potty trained, now holds it ALL day?

• Options

we didn't have this situation so i can't comment on it exactly, especially not the trouble going poop.  but i just wanted to mention that my DD has gone thru stages of refusing to want to go to the potty.  even after she'd been potty trained for a while.  i think it's just when her brain starts processing new things and getting really interested in learning new activities, that she doesn't want to take the time out to go to the bathroom.  the way we deal with it, which has worked for us, has been to pump her full of liquids.  and salty snacks that make her thirsty for more liquids.  like she is usually limited on getting juice boxes, but when she'll go MANY hours after her morning potty break (like 5-8 hrs) i give up on all rules.  she gets a juice box, a bottle of water, pretzels, grapes, cantaloupe, etc...  eventually she'll have to go potty so much she just can't hold it anymore.  i've also read about giving kids lots of fiber to encourage pooping on the potty too... lots of fruit would probably help!

GOOD LUCK!  i dont know if any of this helps, but hope it gets easier for you and LO soon.

• Options

DD recently went through a horrible potty stage.  It was all due to constipation.  She had a particularly painful BM, so she was scared to go.  So she started to hold it in.  It got to the point where she wouldn't go for days, but was soiling her underwear 5 or 6 times a day.  She wouldn't sit on the potty to pee either because she was afraid that she would poop.  She did the same thing as your son, holding it all day and screaming if I made her sit. 

Her pedi told me to give her Miralax 2x a day (full capful) for 3 days to get her cleaned out.  Then I dropped her down to 1 capful a day.  She also told me that once she was regularly going on 1 capful, I could try cutting it to a 1/2.  However, once we cut to a 1/2, she stopped going again.  So, for right now, we give her a capful a day and it has worked wonders.  We also make her sit on the potty for 20 minutes after breakfast.  It was rough for the first day or so, but now, she will usually go within 5 minutes.  And now that she has learned that it isn't going to hurt, she will go on her own during the day if she feels like she has to go again.

Before we went to the pedi, I tried a lot of other things.. upping her fiber and water intake, ensuring she was getting at least 5 servings of fruits and vegetables daily, giving her apple/white grape/pear juice, adding flax seed to her cereal and making sure she was getting enough physical activity. I hated the thought of giving her Miralax daily, but it's the only thing that has worked at keeping her regular and pain-free.

Good luck!  

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"