April 2012 Moms
Options

Talk to me about your big baby - 1 month old already 15 pounds...

DD is EBF and was 15 pounds at her one month appointment and 23 inches long - she was 9 pounds 10 ounces at birth.  I am curious whether anyone else's LO is gaining at a similar rate and what your pediatrician has said.  Our doctor is not concerned because both height and weight are over 99 percentile, and our first born was also big (although only 12 pounds at 1 month old...), but I am not sure what to think.  She is sleeping well (generally only up one time to eat at night), and a very good baby - I am pretty sure this is just genetics and that once she starts moving, her growth will slow way down.  Thank you in advance!

Re: Talk to me about your big baby - 1 month old already 15 pounds...

• Options

J was born fairly average, 7lb 2oz 20in. And his weight is only 49th percentile, but he grew to 21 by his 1 week appt and 22.25 at his 1 month (75th percentile).

Our pedi said he expected as much. I'm 5'10", DH is 6'3", so length is no concern even though it's a little disproportionate to his weight.

I'd guess you're little one is perfect, just getting a jump start on the rest of the 1 monthers. Now we get to play catch-up!

imageimageimage
  • Options
    Thank you - that was very sweet!  I am hoping she slows down - her growth ultra sound at 32 weeks predicted she would be in the 59th percentile...they were a little off, more like the 159th percentile :)
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Mine was 9lbs 13oz (94th percentile) at birth and had his one month appointment today and is 11lbs 3oz (84th percentile).  He also grew a half an inch.  He is gaining weight but not as much as I though he was.

• Options
    DS was 9.2 at birth and is 6 weeks now at 11 lbs. he is 23.25 inches. My pedi said he is gaining appropriately. He wakes up once a night and eats what seems to be all the time during the day.
    Baby #2 is on the way!!
    BabyFetus Ticker

Baby #1!
    Charles Edward 4/13/12 
    9 lbs 2 oz 22 & 3/4 inches
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic image
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Evelyn was 10lbs 4oz at birth (over 95th percentile), lost a pound the first week, but was only 10lbs 15oz at her one month.  We go for her 2 month check on Tuesday.... excited to see what she's at.  15 pounds at 1 month is huge!  Sounds like she's gaining great weight!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    DS was born average at 7 1/2 lbs and 20 inches. By his 2 week, he was 9 lbs and 21 in. At 1 mo, he was 11 lbs, 22 in. He is currently going through a growth spurt. He is EBF.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

Sounds like we have some healthy babies here! My LO was born at 9 lb 2 oz, lost 15 oz before we were discharged. At his 1 month he was 10 lbs 13 oz. He was 13 lbs 6 oz @ his 2 month....and 23.75 inches. I am short but DH is 6'2" and FIL is 6'4". We are just starting size 2 diapers and size 3/6 month clothes. The 3 month clothes are already packed up!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

Wow! You've got us beat. Our "little" guy was born a week late, weighing 9lbz 11oz and now he is 12lbs 4oz at one month. He was 22.4" long with a 35cm head circumference - not sure what he is now. His head is still huge, but at least more proportional now ;)

If you are bf, it's almost impossible to overfeed so I'm sure she's doing just fine and will be the perfect size for her :) Probably a lot of it is genetics. My dad was really tall and built on the larger side and my husband is tall and I am above average so I am not surprised our guy is big!

Lilypie First Birthday tickers Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    Yeah, C is a big baby too (also EBF)! He was in the 90th percentile for height being 23 inches and 95th percentile for his head - I don't recall what the measurement was. He weighed 10lbs 13oz as of 2.5 weeks ago. Who knows what he is now. As PP said, I would not worry because it is near impossible to overfeed if bf. You just have a big, healthy baby! :)
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie First Birthday tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    kkfeb04kkfeb04 member

The thing to remember is all kids grow differently, even sibs.

DS (EBF for 6 months than solids and BM until 11 1/2 months) was 10 lbs 22" with a 15" head at birth (39w1d) and at one month old he was 10 lbs 7 oz, 23". He lost 20 oz after birth. Two months 12 lbs 24.5", three months 12 lbs 6 oz, four months 14 lbs 7 oz, 27", six months 16 lbs 29.5".  He doubled his birthweight at 13 months old and has stayed tall and skinny. At 2, he was about 27 lbs and 37.5". 

DD (EBF) was 9 lbs 2 oz, 21" with a 14" head at birth (37w0d), at one month old she was 9 lbs 4 oz, 22.5" and her head was 14.4 I think (they measured a few times because the one measurement at either 1, 2, or 3 weeks old (appts for jaundice and a weight check) had her head at 13" which definitely wasn't right. At 2 months she was 10 lbs 2 oz, 23.75" with a 15" head. She was basically DS's size minus the extra 1.75" at birth, it boggles our mind.  Pedi isn't too concerned with her weight since he says the growth usually goes in this order: head, length, weight. It also helps that DS also grew very similar but he did gain more weight quicker than she has but I would say that's because he ate every 1-2 hours round-the-clock (even overnight) and worked his way up to every 3 hours by 4 months old, she, on the otherhand, has always gone 3 hours and has worked her way closer to 4 hours and about 8 or so overnight.  We asked pedi if I need to wake her and he said no, not yet.  They will do a weight check at 3 months (they did with DS too) just to make sure there isn't an issue.

Sorry no paragraphs, bumping from my phone.
    I once had a picture until the trolls showed up.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    TTC #1 7/08 PCOS dx 8/28/04 Met 1000 mg and Clomid cycles 1-4 1/6/09-5/2/09 BFN
    Clomid 100mg 6/4/09=O'd=BFP on 6/29/09! Beta@14DPO 70.8 Beta@16DPO 152. EDD 3/7/10.
    First u/s on 7/13/09 @6w0d heard and saw heartbeat 102 bpm.
    K M #1 arrived via c/s 3/1/10 10 lbs, 22 inches long at 39 weeks.

Surprise expecting #2. Med-free BFP on 8/1/11! Beta@15DPO 58.2 Beta@17DPO 198.3 Beta@23DPO 2338. EDD 4/9/12
    K M #2 arrived via c/s 3/19/12 9 lbs 2 oz, 21 inches long at 37 weeks.
    "If we weren't all crazy we would go insane."
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"