Trying to Get Pregnant
Options

Do you cut everything bad out while TTC?

So, I'm new to this whole TTC thing, and generally not too focused on all the specific; but at the same time I don't want to do anything SUPER harmful.  Like, i've started to take prenatal vitamins, stopped taking perscription meds that aren't baby approved safe, cutting back on my caffine and alcohol....  But I love sushi!  I'm actually going out for sushi for lunch today.  And its occurred to me that this may not be baby safe. 

I just wondered if everyone who is TTCing cuts all the bad things out in advance to be on the safe side?

*** DS born February 21, 2013 - Toronto, Canada  ***
imageimage

Re: Do you cut everything bad out while TTC?

• Options
    Thanks for the heads up about Advil - I didn't know about that one.  Luckily, I'm not allowed to take it anyways due to other medical conditions.
    *** DS born February 21, 2013 - Toronto, Canada  ***
    imageimage
  • Options

imageCLECyclist:
    I will eat sushi, drink a moderate amount of alcohol and most anything else that I normally do until I see two pink lines. I am not taking Advil for any pain issues since there are studies saying it can delay O or prevent implantation - but aside from  that, I see no reason to give anything else up. H and I might do a "last hurrah" sushi trip, just in case this is our cycle.

This.  If I gave everything up, I'd be without for over a year now.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    The only thing I nixed was cigarettes. I still drink on occasion, but I've discovered recently that even a sip makes me nauseous.
    ETA: Phone auto corrected on me.
  • Options
    I say live your life - honestly it will probably help take your mind off of everything. A lt of things I've read say you and baby don't share blood supply until a few weeks I anyway. I wouldn't go on a bender or anything, but I don't think a little sushi or alcohol is off limits.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    imagemkanderson85:

imageCLECyclist:
    I will eat sushi, drink a moderate amount of alcohol and most anything else that I normally do until I see two pink lines. I am not taking Advil for any pain issues since there are studies saying it can delay O or prevent implantation - but aside from  that, I see no reason to give anything else up. H and I might do a "last hurrah" sushi trip, just in case this is our cycle.

This.  If I gave everything up, I'd be without for over a year now.

oh SO this. I tend to just watch it during the 2ww and go moderate.  In the Waiting to O time? nothing's off limits! (ok, crack cocaine and heroine are off. but that's it. lol)

and now in TTA for 2 months? I'm not really watching anything I'm eating/drinking/ingesting...

Love: 08/04/2006
    Marriage: 10/02/2010
      Computer Hope
    Baby Carriage: 
    BFP#1 : 03.2012........MMC + D&C : 05.2012
    BFP#2 : 11.12.2012..........Born 07.17.2013
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Second Birthday tickers
    The Buggy List blog
  • Options
    No, but I do try to cut back on junk foods and caffeine. Also, I don't drink while I'm TTC.

Mom to 4 wonderful children: T(8), B(6) ,M(3), and A(1)
    baby #5 due 12-07-14
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    Taking a prenatal vitamin is the only thing I do differently. Otherwise, I continue working on the same healthful eating/exercising goals I always have. Some weeks are healthier than others.
    Mary Jane {12} Kaden {10} Eliza {4} Due Sept. '14

CafeMom Tickers

Considering . . . Agatha, Beatrix, Clara, Daphne, Isadora, Josephine, Matilda, Philippa, Tabitha, Winifred . . .
  • Options
    allureaallurea member

I stopped drinking alcohol and cut back on my caffeine intake.  My eating habits were pretty good already, so the only thing I've really changed there is how often DH and I eat out.  Taking prenatal vitamins along with the other supplements I'm on for some health issues, and a couple months ago my Doc mentioned Vitex, so I have been taking that for a while now.

BFP #1 09/15/09, MMC 09/28/09
    BFP #2 06/04/12, EDD 02/09/13, MC at 6w3d on 06/18/12
    BFP #3 01/16/13, EDD 10/04/13, Born 09/17/13

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    I am taking a prenatal and lowering the amount of nicotine I am using in my electronic cigarette gradually to 0. Other than that nothing else. With my first I thought it wouldn't happen quickly. My collage roommate came to visit from Ga and we had a huge 4 day weekend of drinking and living it up. (No drugs) I felt like my AF was going to start the whole weekend. When it didn't I got a bfp on Monday at lunch. I freaked out called my gp explained what happened. He just chuckled and said you and the baby will be just fine just no more drinking visits until after thus baby is here.

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    That would be college roommate...stupid auto correct.

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I cut down on my drinking, but I can't stopppp....It's the wine....I love the wine....

Me: 34 Mild Thin PCOS DH: 36

5 Clomid & TI= BFFN

IUI-IVF coming Soon...

• Options

The good thing is most harmful stuff (like alcohol) only matters after implantation. So if you're testing early, you can drink in moderation up until then. But NOT after, of course.

I am not much of a drinker anyway. But I am trying to cut down on junk food with the thought that it might help fertility. Too much caffeine is also bad for fertility, I read.

Smoking or drugs are no-nos while TTC because they take longer to leave your system & harm fertility.

• Options
    imageLoveActually55:
    I cut down on my drinking, but I can't stopppp....It's the wine....I love the wine....
    So glad I'm not the only one :)

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    BFP #1: 7/10/2012 .... DS Born: 2/26/2013
    TTC #2: 5/2014
    BFP #2: 7/8/2014 .... MC at 4w4d
    BFP #3: 9/14/2014...EDD 5/30/2015

Little Sister is on the way!
  • Options
    ksgsmuksgsmu member
     I cut back on caffeine, no advil, and during the 2ww I have limited deli meat, unprocessed cheese just to be safe... once AF rears her ugly head I am having a diet dr. pepper.
    ***siggy/ticker warning***

Me:36 DH:38 TTC#1 since 4/2012
    Me DX: Hashimotos,Hypothyroid, DOR, MTHFR,  DH: normal

IUI #1-#4 BFNs and a few cancelled cycles in the mix.
    - poor responder
    ***Suprise BFP on 6/13/13. Natural MC @6wks 3days
    IVF#1 and 2- Cancelled due to no response on max stimms
    FET 5/20- BFP
    1st Beta- 641
    2nd beta- 2166
    Sono- TWINS!!!!
    Two Boys! Born January 2015 @36 weeks.  Healthy and no NICU!  So blessed!

• Options

imagePinkRoses53:
    imageLoveActually55:
    So glad I'm not the only one :)

Ditto.  I just take prenatals and that's about the only thing I do differently.

Off BC since January 2012/TTC #1 since April 2012
    October 2013 IUI #1 - 5mg femara + Ovidrel = BFN
    November 2013 IUI #2 - 5mg femara + Gonal-F + Ovidrel + Crinone = 12/16/13 FIRST EVER BFP!!!  DD Blaire Noelle 8/26/14
    Surprise!  2 under 2 is happening!  Due 12/5/15 (updated)

• Options

I don't do much that isn't ok during pregnancy anyways.  I don't take nsaids for headaches, they make me sick (I do take barbituates, but my OB is the one who writes my rx....)

I have bee taking a prenatal for years now, I plan to take one during "childbearing age." even if no intent to be pregnant.

During the 2ww, I cut back somewhat on caffeine, but not too much, (2 coffees and a coke, and it isn't even dinner time...)  I don't drink, in general.  And I eat whateve I want. 

• Options
    Juicy71Juicy71 member
    I've completely cut out caffeine and Advil (except during the time when my period is actually going on).  This month I have completely cut out alcohol since we're doing medicated IUI and I just want to give my body every chance it can to be as healthy as possible.  But, again, if my period shows, I will certainly be tipping up the wine bottle!  Taking prenatals and extra folic and making sure to eat healthy and exercise.
    Me: 43 DH: 39 - AMA, DOR
    Mommy to Sami (IVF), Born 8.30.13
    Surprise non-assisted BFP - 12.29.2014, Beta 1 = 322, Beta 2 = 760
    EDD 9.7.2015

BabyFruit Ticker 

• Options

this post made me feel better that im not a terrible person haha. Im down to 1 cig a day and the electric one if needed.  I have had a couple of drinks here and there as well.  I know if I do become preggers then i will stop compeletly.  I def dont indule in my vices like i use to but its hard to stop like that which is why im working my way down.  I do take the vitamins and have been drinking less caffine too. Just the morning cup of coffee but which they say you can have even when you are preggers especailly if its american coffee which isnt that strong.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • Options

imageCLECyclist:

FX for you!!!!! :)

I also continue to drink my wine or beer or mixed beverage.  I take prenatals & try to eat full fat dairy products.  

*******Siggy Warning*******

*Married since 11/20/10*
    *TTC since 1/12*
    *Me - PCOS * DH - Azoo*
    *IUI clomid 5/13 - BFN*
    *IUI clomid 6/13 - BFN*
    *IUI clomid 7/13 - Cancelled due to poor response*
    *IUI follistim 9/13 - Cancelled due to over response*
    *IVF #1 - 13R, 5M, 4F, 2 transferred on day 3 - BFN & nothing to freeze*
    *IVF #2 - 7R, 4M, 4F, 2 transferred on day 3 - BFP!!!!*
    *Beta #1 15dp3dt >2,000, Beta #2 21dp3dt >17,000!*
    *U/S on 6/27/14 @ 6w4d - 2 sacs, 1 HB found @ 125bpm!*
    *First OB appt 7/24/14*

BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options

imageCLECyclist:

This.  Except the Advil part - I didn't know about that.  Thanks CLEC!

Married 12/8/07 | Sleeve Gastrectomy 10/19/09
    BFP#1 DD born 3/9/11 | BFP#4 DD born 9/20/13
    BFP#2 6/21/12, M/C at 5w2d | BFP#3 11/27/12, M/C at 6w6d
  • Options
    I've become more aware of my caffeine addiction and am slowly scaling it back to a reasonable amount, but outside of that, no. That said, if I had been a smoker or drank more than one or two drinks in a sitting, I probably would have nixed those. Eat sushi! No need to go without for longer than you need to!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"