C-sections

Requesting to be put out?

Can you request to be put out for a RCS?

I ended up having a c/s after 18 hours of labor in December. Recovery wasn't bad...but the memory of actually laying on the table was horrible! Freezing, shaking, drifting in and out...I've heard it's all normal but I really thought I was going to die! I'm really scared to go through it again.

Both my son and myself were completely "routine and healthy" but I got no perks to being awake. I didn't get to meet him at my head or even see him period until I was in recovery.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Requesting to be put out?

• I remember that too with my DD's c-section, but I attributed a lot of that to the fact I was laboring for 26 hours and was completely out of it. I'm having a RCS this time but don't think I would request to be put out completely. I'm going to ask my doc about being able to see LO before they take him/her away.
    Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • No, they really don't do it unless it is medically necessary. General anesthesia is much more dangerous for both mom and baby.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • I think you should talk to your doctor about your concerns. As long as your baby is born healthy there is no reason (s)he should ever have to leave your side. Also, I had a really rough time with my anestesia the first time (epi, after long labor) but for my rcs everything was perfect (spinal, scheduled rcs). I had a very positive birth experence and I hope you do to. Talk to your dr.
  • I think it is a very bad idea.  I had to be put out for dd's birth.  I didn't get to meet her for several hours, after everyone else did.  Then I was so high, I didn't even care.  I looked at her, my only thought was, "wow, she's short."  And the anesthesia made her very sleepy.
  • imagemanbearpig31610:
    I think you should talk to your doctor about your concerns. As long as your baby is born healthy there is no reason (s)he should ever have to leave your side. Also, I had a really rough time with my anestesia the first time (epi, after long labor) but for my rcs everything was perfect (spinal, scheduled rcs). I had a very positive birth experence and I hope you do to. Talk to your dr.

That's really good to hear! Thanks.

• This is my fear too!!!! I had a cervical cerclage so I had a spinal and it was pretty traumatic to be lying on a table with a sheet in my face and hearing all the doc's around me. I don't want to go through that again. I felt so helpless and the anxiety was insane. I am expecting twins and they are both breech. I seriously want to be knocked out too .... I keep begging my doc to knock me out when the time comes but I don't think he is taking me serious. He keeps telling me I will be fine but seriously all the hormones and stress of being pregnant after two losses has had me having panic attacks. I don't want to be in the middle of a c section and having a panic attack too.  =( 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image image
  • eav2ceav2c member
    I had an emergency csection that was rather traumatic... Prior to wheeling me into the or they pumped me with tons of numbing meds and I begged, pleaded, and cried to be put out... I thoughts was dying... But they refused and I was told they only do it when it is completly necessary. I also think a RCS will be easier and less traumatic.
  • I would talk to your OB about your concerns. I don't think you can request general anesthesia........

I can tell you that I did panic during my first c-section and they gave me anti-anxiety meds that helped. My 2nd and 3rd went really well.

GL! 

image Mommy to Barbara 11/8/05, Elisabeth 5/13/07, Loukas 12/23/08 and Lazarus 09/25/12
  •  I had a great c-section with DS1. With DS2 I had a RCS and it was exactly like yours. It was horrible. I had another RCS with DS3 almost two weeks ago and It was amazing. The anesthesiologist came to talk to me before surgery and I explained exactly how I felt with my last section. She was able to adjust  my meds so I felt completely different. This time I was talking, smiling, and even laughing during the surgery.
  • jb2rnjb2rn member
    imagemabenner1:
    No, they really don't do it unless it is medically necessary. General anesthesia is much more dangerous for both mom and baby.
    This
    b/w=FSH 15.6, AMH 0.4 surprise natural BFP on 3/12/11
    DS born via unplanned C-section at 40w6d

• I am an OB nurse and can tell you that they will not put you under general unless absolutely necessary.  There is a significant risk to both mom and baby and it is only used in an emergent and necessary situation.  In RCS everything is much more controlled and calm.  They will be taking a little bit more time as they have to deal with scar tissue. Speak with your OB and request that you speak with anesthesia prior, as they typically will do anyway.  Tell anesthesia about your fears, but they can adjust meds to make you as comfortable and relaxed as possible.
  • cltk12cltk12 member
    If you get put out, you will not be able to meet your lo for quite a few hours.  Also, your partner will not be able to be in the OR if you are put out.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imagemabenner1:
    No, they really don't do it unless it is medically necessary. General anesthesia is much more dangerous for both mom and baby.

This. If they don't get the baby out REALLY fast, LO has the anesthesia in their system and it depresses their respiratory system.

• They were unable to place my spinal so I was put under general. I missed everything and so did my DH because he can't be in the room if your out. I did not hear her first cry I don't remember I saw or held her. When people were coming in to see her I was barfing. I only remember pieces until the next day. I was not allowed to keep the baby overnight. 
  • I wouldn't do it even if they allowed you. I was dilated to 9 when my water broke with DD, and she flipped. She started coming out foot first and I had to be put under to get her out. When I finally woke up I missed all the bonding everyone had with her, and I didn't know who anyone was. I was so high I could see people, but I couldn't tell you who they were. I kept going in and out, wasn't able to walk until day 3 (I had her at 5 PM) which hurt healing, and they already had me hooked up to the morphine when I woke up. I didn't get the choice of much like I did with my RCS, which I was awake for.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • I was completely out for my c/s and I wouldn't recommend it at all. I saw her immediately in recovery when I opened my eye (they wouldnt let anyone hold her before I saw her, which I appreciate) but I didn't care. And then the rest of my memory for the next 12-18 hours is REALLY fuzzy. I do NOT remember holding or feeding her for the first time, although everyone says I was awake and talking and seemed totally normal. It's sad. I have issues over not remembering so much about her beginning.
    Chelsea; 7/22/2005 Carissa; 4/9/2011 Cassidy; 9/6/2012
    Baby #4; 7/7/2018
  • I was not put out but if you remember my birth story, I blacked out, only later to find out that I was also given an amnesia medication. I don't remember seeing DS for the first time, holding him or breastfeeding him and there are no pictures.  I still have issues with this, we're probably 1/done and it makes me really sad knowing that I don't remember what is supposed to be one of the top moments in my life. 

Talk to your doctor and express your concerns! 

Baby Charchie born 12/22/2011
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"