Breastfeeding
Options

Baby is constantly switching sides to nurse - normal/ok?

My daughter (7 months) is constantly switching sides when she nurses and has been for the last few weeks.  She will latch on for 5-10 seconds then want to switch to the other side and this goes on and on for 10-15 minutes.  Over time she does empty my breast but it's just that she's always going back and forth. 

I am wondering if I am part of the problem (if it even is a problem) here in that I "let" her do it.  She will come off one side and pull and pull on my shirt on the other side until I let her nurse that one so it's not like I am trying to make this happen but I wonder if I shouldn't stop the nursing session and wait until she is really ready to focus. 

This doesn't happen so much at her first morning session in the morning or if she wakes during the night.  It's just her 2 nighttime nursing sessions.  If it matters, I work 8-5, nurse in the morning and twice at night and she takes pumped milk at daycare.  What do y'all think?  Is this an issue that I need to stop?  Could it cause problems with foremilk/hindmilk? 

image   image
We were 2 under 2, now 3 under 3!
Team Green turned Team Pink with #1, Team Green turned Team Blue with #2, Team Green turned Team Pink again with #3

Re: Baby is constantly switching sides to nurse - normal/ok?

• Options
    Sounds like she is jsut a busy little girl and has other stuff to do and is getting distracted, which at this age is totally normal! If it is not bothering you keep doing it. If it bugs you but your shirt down and put her down. I ended up doing that. I have a big let down and supply so the on and off was leaving me soaked so I started taking the boob away all together and LO got the hint :)
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Totally normal DS used to and still does it but he stays on for about five minutes a side and it is always at bedtime.   For him, I think it's a way to help him stay awake instead of falling asleep.  At 2 I now limit the number of times he's allowed to switch sides in a session, but it never  caused any issues here.    It was just annoying to me.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    ebp913ebp913 member
    Thanks ladies!!!  I guess I can work on it if I feel like I need to but it's not really a big deal at this point. 
    image   image
    We were 2 under 2, now 3 under 3!
    Team Green turned Team Pink with #1, Team Green turned Team Blue with #2, Team Green turned Team Pink again with #3
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"