March 2012 Moms
Options

Anyone's LO fussy at breast, cries, and only feeds for 5 mins?

My little one is going to be 2 months tomorrow. She fusses at the breast and starts crying if she is awake and eating. The only time i can get her to eat longer is if shes asleep at the breast. Shell eat for 5 minutes and then refuse to eat anymore. I'm so frustrated and heartbroken. Has anyone gone through this? What has helped?

Re: Anyone's LO fussy at breast, cries, and only feeds for 5 mins?

• Options
    Mine usually does that if she has a bubble stuck or is tired. Even worse if both. If we can't get the bubble to move or she falls completely asleep, she just makes up for it at the next feeding.

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
    Married: 1/2008 ~ DD#1: 3/2012
    TTC #2: Started 4/2014       BFP 7/30/15   MC 8/3/15       BFP 9/4/2015   EDD 5/16/2016

• Options
    Yup, my baby is like that. I just feed him for as long as he wants, even if it is only 5 minutes. He usually wants to eat every 2 hours or so. He'll eat for longer if he falls asleep, but almost never for longer than 10 minutes.  My daughter did this too and we both were a LOT happier once I stopped watching the clock and just went off her cues - some babies can get what they need in 5 minutes. It's when I try to force him to eat more than he wants that he gets pissed anyway. Sometimes a burp will help but usually he'll still just eat for another minute or 2.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Is she arching her back when she's fussy?  It sounds like it could be reflux. DS had silent reflux where he didn't spit up but the acid would come up and burn his throat. His symptoms were like you describe. Zantac made a huge difference. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

imageKristinmo:
    Is she arching her back when she's fussy?  It sounds like it could be reflux. DS had silent reflux where he didn't spit up but the acid would come up and burn his throat. His symptoms were like you describe. Zantac made a huge difference. 

This is exactly what I was thinking 

image image

BFP #2 7/18/11 - EDD 3/29/12 - Born 3/13/12
    BFP #1 4/4/11 - Natural M/C - 7w1d - 4/30/11
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

• Options
    imageMrsJetSet:

imageKristinmo:

This is exactly what I was thinking 

I third this. This was the first sign for my DD as well.

• Options
    DS does this when he's not actually hungry. I usually put the paci in and he's content for another hour or so.
    S- March 09 E- Feb 12 L- May 15

• Options
    Not sure, but DD does this too. She seems to feed really well at night and in the morning, and the rest of the day she gets frusterated and latches on and off over and over again. She cries too. She does not arch her back and we actually tried Zantac and it wasn't reflux (she is 8 weeks today). DD #1, who is now 2, had reflux really bad as an infant and was on Prevacid. Her symptoms were really different and this just doesn't seem like reflux. I am wondering if it's nipple confusion though? She will not take a bottle, but we are trying to give her one every day. Not sue if that has something to do with it.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    LanatirLanatir member

I was having this problem with A.  We figure it has to do with my letdown.  She'd start feeding, but then I'd feel letdown and she'd start SCREAMING and refusing to finish eating.  Sometimes she would start coughing and gagging.  I now EP and put gas drops in every bottle and she's a much happier baby.

Good luck!  Babies who fuss when they should be feeding are SO FRUSTRATING!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"