Pregnant after 35
Options

Bleeding/cramping

Hi ladies. I am just about 9 weeks and this is my first pregnancy, and I am pregnant with twins. Two days ago I started having period like cramps with a light flow brown bleeding. Lasted all night into the morning. I went to the doc and we heard 2 hb's around 180bpm each. Both babies measured 9w. My blood work came back good. They couldn't find any reason for my bleeding or cramping. This is the advice I was offered:

This isn't "normal" but it happens. Some wome have this and are totally fine. However, if a mc is going to happen there is nothing we can do and the cramping and bleeding will get worse. Try and relax and see what happens.

RELAX..yea right. I feel better knowing the babies are ok now. Should I be re-checked? I am still cramping on and off and have more of a spotting now, so I guess it is good that it hasn't gotten worse yet? If it were going to be a mc, how fast would it pick up and happen???  She said my cervix was closed like it should so where would the blood be coming from?

Any advise or positive cramping/bleeding outcomes would be wonderful.

37, first pregnancy through IVF Pregnancy Ticker

Re: Bleeding/cramping

• Options

When I was bleeding, they told me, "While bleeding is common in pregnancy, it is never normal." And proceeded to check me out. Cervix looked great, and the little Alien still had a heartbeat. The bleeding eventually stopped, and was declared "unexplained". Your cervix is closed, but it's not like a bottle stopper. Fluid can still leak out. Which is why it's mostly brown. 

I didn't relax until I could regularly feel him moving. I did relax a bunch when I had a 12w ultrasound and saw him moving around like a mad man. 

• Options

Thank you ladies! That gives me some hope and was very helpful.

This started Tuesday around 4pm, so it has been over 24hrs since then. I am not getting any worse, so far, but I am still cramping and spotting. I pray that the pain is my uterus growing for my LOs. Who knows where this blood is coming from.

I go back in a week for a normal appt I had, so that isn't too many days away. I will request an US to hear the hb's again. Thanks again.

• Loading the player...
  • Options

I heard spotting is very common in twins due to the rapid growth of your uterus. But, take that with a grain of salt. I cramped my whole pregnancy. Even now, I'm like...cramp? Contraction?  

• Options
    I guess what is scary to me is that I have both bleeding and cramping, the dreaded combination. Either or, I would feel better :)
  • Options

I've had 2 miscarriages... both times the spotting was bright red. Brown is a good sign. The cramps are completely normal, it's a double whammy of your uterus stretching(faster than a normal pregnancy even, since you've got two in there measuring exactly the size tehy should be), and the uterus practicing contractions.

If the spotting becomes red, then call the doc back, as long as it's brown, put your feet up, drink some water, and give that tummy a little rub. Those HB's are good and strong. ::Hugs::

• Options
    imageAdi:

I've had 2 miscarriages... both times the spotting was bright red. Brown is a good sign. 

I concur with this.  When I started bleeding from my last mc, the first thing I noticed was a little bit of mucous-y BRIGHT red blood.  Not brown, not old.  Bright red. Cramping and more bleeding started in a day or two after that.  For what it matters, I think you are going to be just fine, sounds like normal spotting and cramping! 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    {{HUGS}} Glad to hear that the babies are doing good :-)
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    WOW, thank you everyone. It does make me feel better hearing your stories and advice, sorry to those who had mc's, my heart goes out to you and thank you for sharing with me.
  • Options
    steverstever member

I've heard that bleeding OR cramping is relatively normal but that both together are bad. Didn't make me feel better when I had both when pregnant with DS. He came out fine though :)

I've had even worse cramping with this pregnancy but no bleeding.

Good luck!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"