Birth Stories
Options

The day I became a Mommy! Our twins are here!

Wow!  It has been a crazy but most wonderful 12 weeks of my life!  Hailey Brooke and London Olivia were born on February 28, 2012, and here is their amazing story of their entry in to this world:

From the moment the pregnancy test said positive, my husband and I were looking forward to the day when we could hold our little munchkin.   At 8 weeks along, our first sonogram showed that we were not only having one, but TWO precious bundles of joy!  Boy were we surprised!  The whole pregnancy went well!  I had morning sickness pretty much through the whole first and second trimester and on and off through the third, but that was bearable.  At my 33 week check-up, I had only gained 19 pounds and everything was looking great!  The next two weeks, I was getting more and more anxious to meet our little girls.  In the next two weeks the swelling in my legs was becoming worse (I had had the swelling since week 20) and the night before my 35 week check-up my legs were so swollen that I had to stop working on a cake that I was decorating because the swelling was up in to my thighs!  That night I was having some cramping on and off for about 3 hours but they came and went kind of sporadically and they weren't too awful... they were to the point if it was menstral cramps that I would go and get the heating pad.  The following morning, when I was 35 weeks and 2 days along, I went in to have a routine sonogram, then my doctors' appointment, and then hubby and I were going to have a tour of the hospital and a one on one birthing class at the hospital.    The ultrasound proved that the girls were both head down and looking good!  So we went on our merry way to my doctors appointment.   Well, when the nurse weighed me, I had gained 14 more pounds in TWO weeks due to all of the swelling in my legs!!  So my doctor sent me next door to the hospital for 24 hour observation just to be sure that I didn't have pre-eclampsia going on.  While I was in triage getting all of the preliminary stuff done, my husband got to go on the tour that we were supposed to go on and they told me that I would get to go on the tour the next day when I got discharged.  When we got checked in to my room, I sent hubby home at 5 p.m. to check on our puppy and get himself some dinner before he came back up to the hospital with me.  After he left, I called my Mom and was talking to her for a little bit when I re-positioned myself on my bed and felt 3 big knocks (almost as if someone was knocking on a door) down there and then a small trickle.  I moved a little, and more of a trickle.  So I checked, and the fluid was clear.  (This was about 5:45 pm - 45 minutes after I got in to my room)  So, I got off the phone and got up out of bed and went to the bathroom when a nurse came in and asked if the discharge on the bed mat was normal.  She then took it out to have it checked by my nurse after telling me that she didn't think it was my water breaking because it would have been a HUGE gush of water.  Then I called hubby and told him that he might want to get up to the hospital because something was going on (he was about 20 to 25 minutes away).  My nurse came in and did a check to see if it was amniotic fluid, but that test was inconclusive so she did another test.  That test came back positive before time was even up so she went to get my doctor!  Dr. Anderson happened to be on the hall checking on another patient at the time.  So she came in and siad that she was going to do a check and see how dilated I was.  Well, as she was checking she said "Oh my gosh!  You are fully dilated and the head is RIGHT HERE!"  When she said that, the rest of the water bag let loose!  (This was at 6 pm - an hour exactly after I got checked in to my room)  At that moment, I called my husband and said to get to the hospital NOW and told him what had happened!  You should have seen how fast those nurses were moving trying to get my and my bed wheeled out of the room and to the operating room where I had to deliver just in case something went wrong.  It was hilarious!  We were all cutting up and laughing while I was laughing there waiting to get in to the O.R.!  The weird thing was, I didn't have ANY contraction pains, at all!  All I felt was just pressure!  I was so nervous that my husband was not going to make it in time!  We got in to the OR and hubby still wasn't there.  Since I was so dilated, they didn't even move me to the table so I was laboring in my bed!  Whenever I felt that pressure, they told me to push.  I pushed probably 4 or 5 times when I heard the words that I wanted to hear since everything started happening,  "Your husband is here!"  Luckily he had his hospital tour and my nurse recognized him when she passed him in the hallway on the way to her car to leave for the night.  She got him right through security.  When he walked in I was in the middle of a push and he said he could see the head crowning... talk about cutting it close!!  The next push and Hailey came in to this world at 6:39 pm weighing 4 pounds and 14 ounces!  Dr. Anderson later told me that she had to catch her a foot off the bed because she literally flew out!  I pushed one more time but did not know if it was going to be a baby coming out or the placenta from the first baby so I asked, "What is coming out?"  All of the nurses and my doctor laughed and said, "What kind of sci-fi movies have you been watching?  It's a BABY!"  Then I felt stupid, but quickly forgot how stupid I felt and had to push.  Then London made her wonder appearance 3 minutes after her sister at 6:42 pm weighing 4 pounds even!  Oh what a wonderful day!  It took me that whole night to wrap my head around what had just happened!  Everything went so fast!  They both spent 3 weeks and 4 days in the hospital to make sure that they were going to be able to maintain their body temperature and get their feedings down quickly.  They weren't born with any physical problems or breathing problems which we were grateful for!  Leaving them every day was the hardest thing that we had to do.  They day they came home was the day after my birthday!  Talk about a wonderful birthday present!  

These last 12 weeks have been the best weeks of my life!  My husband and I are so blessed to have them in our lives!  Every time I look at them, I can't believe they are ours!   

IAmPregnant Ticker Pregnancy Ticker BabyName Ticker BabyName Ticker

Re: The day I became a Mommy! Our twins are here!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"