Pre-School and Daycare

XP-Nintendo DS game recs

I am not really a huge fan of the electronic babysitters but we have a few long carrides coming up and we have a DS lite laying around. I thought I could maybe find a few games for DD1 to have for in the car/train. Problem is, I have no idea what games to get. I am thinking there is a dog game that my stepdaughter has where you get to take care of a dog and DD would probably like that. Any other suggestions? She has a Leapster already that she never really touches because she seems to prefer my Kindle Fire. I'm not really comfortable with handing that to her in the backseat though and there's not money to get her one of her own right now. It doesn't necessarily have to be an educational game, just one that she can play independantly. Thanks!

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers 
                         Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Re: XP-Nintendo DS game recs

• My son has four games that he plays consistently (all educational):

Elmo's A to Zoo Adventure - Elmo and Zoe going around learning letters/letter sounds/spelling with various animals in different settings.

Cookie's Number Carnival - Cookie and Big Bird playing carnival games that involve numbers/counting/shapes/etc.

Grover's ... something - This is one I haven't paid much attention to, but from what I've seen it seems to be kind of a hygiene/nutrition thing. Might be some manners in there too.

Team Umizoomi - Not sure the exact name, but basically the show characters in show-similar situations that the child has to use "Mighty Math Powers" to help. Numbers, counting, shapes, etc.

Not sure where your DD falls in regards to needing help with these things (they're definitely not going to hold the interest of a kid who knows it all already).

We also have a game (it was DH's first) called Rhythm Heaven (I think) that B really seems to enjoy. It's basically a game to teach rhythm by having the player flick things across the screen to a beat (there are other games in the game, but B isn't very good so I don't see them much).

I have the Nintendogs game, and honestly I'm not sure how good it would be for a young kid. It's cute, but it really is like having an electronic pet with no cuddling benefits. Have to walk it, bathe it, feed it, etc. and if you forget it for too long the dog gets filthy and runs away. I haven't played mine in a couple years and I fear the game will yell at me if I ever turn it on again. Unlike those old-school Tommigotchis, the Nintendogs don't die, they just go stray until you track them down. 

If you do go with Nintendogs, be aware that in the beginning you have to "train" the dog, meaning a LOT of repetitive commands, that in a car might get really annoying.  

Contemplating the snow.
    Mes Petit Choux
    imageimageimage
    I can't go back to yesterday - because I was a different person then. ~ Alice

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • We have the Elmo, Cookie Monster, and Team Umizoomi that PP mentioned. Team Umizoomi is definitely DS's favorite right now. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • ToraniTorani member
    My nieces and nephews like Cooking Mama
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"