Eco-Friendly Family
Options

Where to Start

I don't have children yet.  I posted this on the Green Living Board on TN but that board seems kind of dead.

Anyway, I want to start trying to live a more green lifestyle but don't really have a clue where to start. What is one change you think I should start with or what advice would you give a beginner.

Any blogs/websites/books you would recommend?

Thanks!!

BabyFetus Ticker

Re: Where to Start

• Options

"Green Housekeeping" by Ellen Sandbeck is a great book!

There is an Eco-Friendly Family Blog.

Common ways to be more EF:  composting, growing your own produce, reducing paper usage (cloth diapers, family cloth, mama cloth, unpaper towels, cleaning rags...), using recycled paper when you DO use paper products, recycle, upcycle, repurpose, buy used instead of new, walk or ride a bike ( or take public transportation) instead of driving a car, if you can't do that, drive a fuel efficient vehicle, buy organic, reduce meat and dairy consumption, use EF cleaners (baking soda and vinegar can do almost anything)... 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Thanks! Great Advice! I see there is a similar post below so I will check that out too.
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

When we started to think about kids...the first things I did were to buy safer cookware (stainless steel and cast iron pan) and storage containers (pyrex glass instead of plastics,etc). We started eating more organic/local food, and I phased out the chemical filled cleaning and personal care products from our environment.

It's still an on-going process (like trying to find a couch without flame retardants or polyfoam fill...oy. Or finding used clothes/toys as the kids grow.)

Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options

I love the advice that PPs gave you, but I'll add mine anyways.

I started becoming EF by changing how I clean.  First I started putting washcloths on my swiffer, then I started cleaning with vinegar, then I stopped using paper towels.   Eventually I progressed to organic, local, USA made, no plastics, everything reuseable, shopping at the thrift store, ect.  

Once you get that ball rolling it's hard to stop it.

however long the night, dawn will break.

• Options
    bdschadbdschad member

My mom wrote a book on a million uses for vinegar.  You can use it in every area of your life!  It's called Vinegar Fridays and they have in on Amazon.  She also has a blog/facebook page about living a green lifestyle. 

https://thegreengrandma.blogspot.com/

You can start with the little things.  Cloth shopping bags, eating local and organic, change out your cleaning supplies, beauty products, go paper free. 

Good luck!

• Options

this is what I do:

vinegar and water for everyday cleaning
    ecofriendly commerical cleaning products for heavy duty cleaning
    reusable shopping bags (when I remember to bring them!)
    microfiber cleaning cloths to reduce paper towel use
    recycled, non chlorine bleached paper products
    eco-friendly dishwasher and laundry detergent (TJ's, 7th gen dish/ECOs Laundry)

vinegar instead of fabric softner

houseplants to purify air

brita pitcher instead of bottled water

• Options
    The simplest ways are to give up things like paper towels and plastic water bottles. Buying local and organic helps too. Or check the Skin Deep Cosmetic Database and try to steer clear of high chemical or petroleum based products. Try just a few small things at first, that way it isn't a huge shock to your lifestyle. You can look for other ways as you are comfortable.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"