Baby Showers

Theme related gifts -- no registry?

I'm a FTM and was just wondering what you'd think if you were invited to a shower with a theme rather than a registry? For example, if there are 30 people showing up, giving every 5 people a theme (Bath time, breakfast, day time, etc) which allows people to buy gifts from any store with their designated price point, for those items. Would you think that's tacky or is a registry better?

I'm worried that if i do this, i'll end up with doubles of some things. I live in Toronto, so registering at Babies R us, doesn't seem like a good idea cause it is rather pricey. I do have the other option of registering at Sears, as it does provide better prices and sales.

Any ideas or opinions are greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Re: Theme related gifts -- no registry?

• Giving a theme out rather than having a suggested registry seems like requiring a gift out of that specific person... 

There are plenty of places to register too, you can always try Amazon as well as Sears or BRU. 

• I would prefer a registry.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Themes are fine.  I actually like themed parties and appreciate them more then regular parties.  They take more thought and planning.  I know not everyone agrees though.

Dictating gifts however is not a good idea so I would steer clear of that.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Thanks for all the great feedback. My mother and my sister are planning the shower, but they don't mind some involvement from me, especially when it comes to the registry/gifts.

• I wouldn't do it. A lot of people prefer to give gift cards or to buy off a registry rather than have a vague category. BRU may seem pricey, but if you register for a variety of things at different price points people can decide what they want to spend.
  • If I was invited to a "theme related gifts only" shower, I'd be sad and a little annoyed that I couldn't get something cute (if I was given say, the theme of baby safety or baby health, that wouldn't be fun and I might not go to the shower). So basically, if you tell people even just a category for their gift, some people are going to just blow you off.
  • I've heard of themes like that for wedding showers, but never baby showers.  Could work.  I heard it called an "around the clock" shower and each person was given a different time of day.  BUT...there was also always a registry.  So I wouldn't do the theme without the registry.  Registries can always be ignored if desired.

I wouldn't worry about doubles without a registry - I'd worry about getting stuff you don't really want/need...which can always happen...just less likely with a registry.  If I was just given a time of day, I'd be confused...but then again, I like registries.

• For a baby shower I would not do a theme...just a registry.  When I was having my bridal shower there were some women who had theme showers.  Sometimes they were "kitchen showers" or "bath showers" etc.  Another idea was each guest was given a "time" and had to think of something they might be doing at that particular time.  For instance:  8 am (breakfast...so bowls, spoons, egg timer, etc).  Personally, I thought it was dumb and HARD to think of things.  I got 2 pm once (gave pillows so she could take a nap!) and another time it was like 11 pm.  Can't even remember what I got her...maybe an alarm clock.  lol
  • I don't like the idea of telling people what to buy.
    Oct Angel Babies Lilypie Maternity tickers BFP #1- 12/7/11 M/C-12/20/11 BFP #2- 2/14/12 EDD- 10/3/12
  • I don't think your theme is a good idea.  It would be one thing if the whole shower was the same theme, but basically telling people what to buy is just not good. 

I would go with a registry.

Renee- 37 DH - Chad - 39
    2/06 - surprise pregnancy - twins
    3/06 - m/c 1st baby at 6 weeks 
    5/06 -2nd baby had no heartbeat at 14 wks.
    D&E - Bled out. Blood transfusions. Week in ICU - Cheated Death!
    Diagnosis: Blood clotting and bleeding disorder, immune issues, & cervical stenosis
    5/10 - 1st IVF cycle - BFN
    FET - 10/12/10 - BFN
    1/11 - IVF with PGD - BFN
    IVF - May - BFN
    6/11 New RE - fingers crossed!
    9/11 - IVF - 4 transferred
    10/13 - BFP!!
    It's a boy! Clint Michael, Due in June!!!

• eav2ceav2c member

T.a.c.k.y

I wouldn't go if someone have me a "theme" to buy from... Or I'd just buy from another "theme" to make a point. If I'm spending my money, I'll be damned if someone tells me "hey, you're apart of the xyz theme for gift buying." 

• I'm not a fan of telling guests what they have to buy.  Just do a registry or don't register at all and let guests buy whatever they want or think you will need.
  • Thanks everyone for the great feedback! I'll definitely take that into consideration.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"