April 2011 Moms

Going through the terrible-two's way early!

I don't know where this is coming from, but all of a sudden my good-natured 14month old has become a monster.  Biting, kicking, screaming, etc...every day.  I have to assume that part of it is frustration, and she is expressing herself the only way she knows how, but I am at the end of my rope!

Any suggestions to curb the biting?  I can deal with the screaming and stomping and kicking--but I will not tolerate the biting.

Stephanie Hsu

Re: Going through the terrible-two's way early!

• No suggestion on the biting...my DS bites cause he thinks it's funny, not out of frustration.  The temper tantrums though are crazy!  I never thought they'd start this early but like you I assume they are out of frustration at not being able to communicate how he would like.  He usually is the worst when he hasn't napped well or is ready to have his nap.  Sometimes its a wild card though and he's pissy after he naps.  Ah...toddlers!
  • I wish I had some advice for you. Hang in there. I'm sure we'll all be in that same boat sooner or later.
    Our sweet girl is 3!

Lilypie - (R7Ux)

• Loading the player...
  • TwirpleTwirple member

Chase went through the biting thing about a month ago.  As PP said, he just thought it was funny.  Every time he did it we would say "Ouch, don't bite, that hurts!"  Then carry him to his room, put him down, and walk away.  It wasn't really a time-out, since there was no way to keep him there, but we would go through the motions each time.  Since he would bite for attention, we would put him down away from us.  I'm not sure if he made the connection or not, but after about a week and a half of this, the biting became much more infrequent and now he never bites us.

I'm not sure what to do about the tantrums.  Good luck!

Chase was born 4/23/2011
    Carlene was born 4/18/2014                          A14 siggy challenge:  Junk Food
    image  image image

• kje120kje120 member
    imageTwirple:

Chase went through the biting thing about a month ago.  As PP said, he just thought it was funny.  Every time he did it we would say "Ouch, don't bite, that hurts!"  Then carry him to his room, put him down, and walk away.  It wasn't really a time-out, since there was no way to keep him there, but we would go through the motions each time.  Since he would bite for attention, we would put him down away from us.  I'm not sure if he made the connection or not, but after about a week and a half of this, the biting became much more infrequent and now he never bites us.

I'm not sure what to do about the tantrums.  Good luck!

I'll have to remember this.  Andrew went through a little biting phase a while ago and we weren't sure how to handle it.  We did the "Ouch, that hurts! No biting!" part, but didn't separate him from us.  If he starts up again I will keep that in mind. 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Instead of stopping this behavior, have you thought about why she's doing it? I'm no expert (or anything remotely close, we're all just stumbling through this parenting gig together)...but have you tried a different response? These 13 and 14 month olds don't understand when we reason with them - of course it makes sense to us to say "ouch that hurts!" and then try to punish them so they learn a lesson - but what message is that really sending. When they're throwing a tantrum, can you go outside for a walk? Distract? Show that we kiss instead of bite? Give her a different outlet for these new emotions. 

It's so easy for us parents to see this "bad" behavior and get angry with our kid and try to fix it. I know my first response would be the same thing and I'll admit we're not in the biting stage so this is all so easy for me to say. But if we stop for a second and see the situation through their eyes and remember that they've only been experiencing these strong emotions for a couple months now and flat out don't know how to handle them - maybe we can have the grace to work with our kids instead of against them. empathy will always go much further than punishment.  

I hope none of that was offensive. Just my two cents and a different perspective.  Good luck, mama :)

• 2u2wow2u2wow member

yes DS is throwing tantrums...he flails his head back and cries like a little drama queen! pretty funny to watch but i try to just ignore him when he's acting that way. 

i don't spank or hit back if he does i just ignore it. although can be hard when i public!  

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • DS isn't biting (at least not yet) but he throws a mean tantrum. I try to figure out why - usually it's because he's hungry/ thirsty and can't get his own stuff.
  • TwirpleTwirple member

imageGrace0609:
    He is starting to do the annoying thing my first son did with going stiff as a board when I am trying to put him in his car seat b/c he doesn't want to get strapped in, and it is super annoying!  But, it will pass.  

Chase does this sometimes.  It is really annoying, but I found that if I tickle his belly, he will usually giggle and relax so I can get him buckled in.  One advantage to having a ticklish baby.

Chase was born 4/23/2011
    Carlene was born 4/18/2014                          A14 siggy challenge:  Junk Food
    image  image image

• I typically don't react at all...even though inside I am pissed!  lol...I like the idea of saying "no, we kiss, not bite!"  Yesterday I praised her and said "Ashlen, you have been such a good girl today.  You didn't throw any tantrums and you didn't bite mommy!  Good girl!"  Her response to that was to throw the TV remote at a couple of vases we have on a side table, which knocked over my wine glass.  Sigh.
    Stephanie Hsu
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"