VBAC

Contractions--get ready for TMI

~I apologize for formatting, iPad.~ With DD, I started having mild contractions at 32 weeks after a *night* with DH. ;) Apparently my doctor was worried enough about them after checking them on the monitor that he put me on pelvic rest. Well, I never got off pelvic rest before my section for FTP after a failed induction due to pre-e. If at 32 weeks, contractions were strong and regular enough to be worrisome, I truly believe that had I not been on pelvic rest I would have been more dilated and effaced for that dern induction. So fast-forward to this pregnancy, every time I stand up I have a contraction, if I walk or keep standing they keep coming, but not very regular intervals, and very hard to time. The doctor on call gave me different recs for calling (7 minutes apart, lasting 1.5 minutes) than my doctor's typical more than 4 in an hour. Anyway, I'd really like some "progress" at my next appointment, but not another pre-37 week baby. What do you ladies recommend for keeping things going with going too far. Lol! How stupid does that sound!? My protein levels were a little elevated last week and so I need as much help as possible incase things look like another induction. Walking? Fun with DH?
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Contractions--get ready for TMI

• iris427iris427 member
    How many weeks are you?

Big sister {September 2008} Sweet boy {April 2011} Fuzzy Bundle {ETA July 2014}

Pregnancy Ticker
  • 35. Not looking for "induction" recommendations, just want to safely keep these going. And praying for a little dilation next week.
  • Loading the player...
  • So, my question is more, these things won't hurt anything, but *might* help get things ready, right? Are there any other things along those same lines? Or is that about all that is safe at this point?
  • babyikebabyike member

imageRandiDeeAnn:
    So, my question is more, these things won't hurt anything, but *might* help get things ready, right? Are there any other things along those same lines? Or is that about all that is safe at this point?

If you're 35 weeks, you can start taking EPO (evening primrose oil) orally around 36 weeks.  Some do it vaginally, but I made cervical progress by just taking it orally.  You can ask your provider about dosage, but my midwife recommended 2 - 50mg gel capsules 2-3 x a day.  She also had me start drinking RRL tea (red raspberry leaf) at 36 weeks.  I drank about 3 - 8oz glasses a day as an iced tea, and it was tasty so no biggie.  

I was not comfortable doing anything more than that (along with sex) until 38-39 weeks, when I started acupuncture.  At 40 weeks, I started using my pump for nipple stims, and had a membrane sweep at 41 weeks.

HTH!  And here's the website my doula and midwife referred me to for "gentle" inductions, (DISCLAIMER:  however... most of these techniques are not recommended until closer to your EDD and always consult your provider before doing any of them obviously) 

https://www.gentlebirth.org/archives/natinduc.html

~Sweet Girl *8/18/08* c-section ~ Sweet Boy *12/2/10* VBAC ~ Sweet Boy *8/14/12* VBAC~ 

VBAC Birth Story    2VBAC Birth Story  

• LOL, I think you're looking for a crystal ball.  If you don't want to have an early baby, then I really wouldn't do anything now to encourage labor. 

My midwife cleared the RRL tea, but supposedly that's more of a uterine toner.

• That's exactly what I mean. I don't want an early baby, but I'm worried I'll go to my 36 week appointment Tuesday and have a replay of 36 weeks with my DD. Protein, high BP, induction on a closed cervix ending in c/s. I don't want to induce myself. Haha. I'm just stressed because at my last appointment the nurse was already talking induction after one high protein reading. The doctor wasn't, but the nurse was. I actually almost wanted to go at least one day late just to "give it the system". You know, see people can go into labor past a stupid EDD. I just don't want a cascade of bad news.
  • My OB  said the way to go into labor was to have sex.  Apparently walking is an old wives tale.
    I hated sex last time (and this time for that matter) and refused to do it, I never actually went into labor (12 days over) so I imagine if you reach a point where you are ready to push things along that would be a good place to start
    On the night you were born, the moon smiled with such wonder that the stars peeked in to see you and the night wind whispered,"life will never be the same" Image and video hosting by TinyPicalt="Lilypie 1st Birthday Pic" width="29" height="20" border="0" /> BabyFetus Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"