Preemies

Feeding clinic

I posted last week regarding visiting an OT for feeding therapy. After being evaluated, they have referred her to a feeding clinic. Aside from what I've read online, I'm not sure what to expect. Does anyone have any experiences they are willing to share? Thanks!

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers image

Re: Feeding clinic

• OscarQOscarQ member

My son started feeding therapy in January.  He goes once a week for a session with a speech pathologist.  She feeds him, evaluates how he handles textures and his technique, tries new foods with him and gives us tips for things to work on at home.  She also has suggested things like a follow-up barium swallow and allergy testing.

My son has definitely made progress.  He can now eat cheerios and wagon wheels.  He also does well with creamy soups and some solids.

Good luck! 

• beyogabeyoga member

My ds is a 24 weeker. He has gastroparesis and severe reflux so although he can eat he doesn't want to.  We went to a local feeding clinic (newer).  For us it was a waste of time.  They didn't even do a full evaluation on him (never had him drink anything).  That being said we are going to try to go to another feeding clinic that we know has helped other kids.  

Basically they will observe your child eating/drinking, a medical team will discuss (depending on your issue) what can be done to help them.  This includes diet, behavior, and such.

Hope this helps. 

• Loading the player...
  • mrsV719mrsV719 member

Did they tell you that your LO would be under-going any tests? There was discussion about a barium swallow for my LO but he had an Upper GI while in the NICU so they didn't feel like they needed to see that again.

Once we got there we met with a nutritionist and a speech/language pathologist. One of us spoke to the nutritionist about his habits and schedule, how much he eats, what he eats, what happens when he eats etc. The other fed him with the S/LP watching.

Then we met with a NP, pediatrician and GI to discuss health concerns, weight gain, reflux (he had a severe case and is calming down now) etc. 

They all give their opinion and a cohesive plan. We go back in 4-6 weeks to work on the next step.

For my LO a big part was that he wasn't hungry b/c he ate allllll day long from a bottle due to the reflux. So we have now been on a schedule and he has been eating so much more. He still struggles with swallowing/gagging so that will be the next step. I was really happy when I left!

Good luck!  

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"