Preemies
Options

Milestone questions

My DD is 10 weeks old, 2 weeks old adjusted age and her normal activity during the day is eat, sleep, cry, eat a little more, and sleep. She doesn't like tummy time, she holds her head up decent, but when do they start being awake more during the day and sleeping longer at night? She is still awake about every 2 1/2 hours. I am not sure if she should be doing anything more at this point, she does try to grasp her bottle while feeding but that is about all I notice. I know all babies are different and grow different, just curiuos what your babies did at about 2 1/2 months old.

We have a Dr appt Monday for her shots and I plan to ask about her milestones, I assume they are different than full term babies? Also do they start cereal and solid foods at different times than full term babies? TIA

1st Iui+Clomid+Ovidrel 8-13-11 BFP
Beta @ 16dpiui=289
Beta @20dpiui=1309
Beta @24dpiui=3969
IT'S A GIRL..MADELYNN ELIZABETH
Madelynn Elizabeth born 31w6d's due to pre e.
Welcome to the world princess!
3-9-12
3.7lbs/ 17 inches

Re: Milestone questions

• Options
    At that age, my DSs milestones were more in line with his adjusted age....they still are now, but it isn't as obvious. What I mean is that when my DS was younger, I calculated milestones by his adjusted age only. For your LO to be 2 weeks adjusted, I would expect only the milestones of a newborn.
    BabyFruit Ticker image Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Options

My 29-weeker is about 2 weeks adjusted as well (3 months actual), and I've been wondering the same thing. He is 8 pounds now, the size of a newborn, but based on the newborns I've been around all my life, he seems a lot more alert than a typical newborn.

He also bats at and grasps toys, holds his head up well, and puts his hands around the bottle when I'm feeding it (and sometimes, if he's really hungry, he'll grab MY hand holding the bottle and shove it into his mouth!).

So, while he's newborn-sized and sleeps/eats more like a newborn, some things he's doing ahead of schedule (according to his adjusted age). Based on everything I've read, though, they're supposed to reach milestones based on their adjusted age (i.e. based on due date, not actual birth date), so generally your baby should be acting more like a 2-week-old, not a 2.5-month-old. As for starting cereal/solids, again, she should start that based on her adjusted age, not actual (so, something like 4-6 months adjusted?).

Julia ~ six miscarriages ~ our sweet miracle baby, Jack, due 5/3/12, was born at 29w1d on February 17, 2012, weighing 2 pounds 8 ounces Lilypie Premature Baby tickers BabyFetus Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    DrRxDrRx member

The EI people told us to expect Adalyn to do things based on her adjusted age, and that if she is doing anything ahead, consider it a positive thing.  Adalyn is now about 10 days adjusted, and although she tracks objects and pushes herself up somewhat, she doesn't grasp the bottle with both hands or make Oohh and Ahh sounds. 

So, what I'm doing is looking at the progression of what she should be doing and go from that, instead of looking at a time table of when she is supposed to be doing things.  What I mean is, for example, she should be doing all the 0-3 month things first (regardless of how old she is) and then progress to the 3-6 month milestones after that, etc. 

As far as the cereal and solid foods, I've read/heard that you would follow adjusted age for that as well.  

TTC Since July 2008.
    Me: PCOS DH: Low everything (MFI)
    Clomid with TI x 3 2010 BFN
    Clomid+IUI+Ovidrel 2010 BFN
    IVF w/ICSI #1 2011
    9/8/11 Beta #1: 2082!! 9/19/11 Beta#2 34,689!! U/S 9/22/11 HR 127! 11/8/11 HR 150! 12/6/11 HR 136! 12/14/11 HR 139! Born at 26w2d on 2/4/2012! After 83 days in the NICU, Adalyn came home on 4/26/12!
    FET 1 3/2013 BFN
    FET 2 5/2013 BFN
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Options
    Thank you everyone, I was just curious what other Mom's experiences were! I will talk more also with the pedi tomorrow!
    1st Iui+Clomid+Ovidrel 8-13-11 BFP
    Beta @ 16dpiui=289
    Beta @20dpiui=1309
    Beta @24dpiui=3969
    IT'S A GIRL..MADELYNN ELIZABETH
    Madelynn Elizabeth born 31w6d's due to pre e.
    Welcome to the world princess!
    3-9-12
    3.7lbs/ 17 inches
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"