January 2012 Moms

how long to put vaseline on circumcision?

LO was circumcised at a week old, and I had been pulling back the foreskin, but apparently not enough (He's the first boy baby in my entire family so we were pretty clueless :)  ).  It was starting to adhere again last time we went to the doctor and she was able to pull it back again.  She said to put vaseline on every night.  Stupid me, I forgot to ask for how long.  Is this just a temporary thing until the skin isn't raw, or is this for as long as he's a baby?

Anniversary

Re: how long to put vaseline on circumcision?

• PsyDr04PsyDr04 member
    Just until he's healed up again. 

• PsyDr04PsyDr04 member
    As a p.s., we never had to pull anything back after DS's circumcision. Did they not remove all of the foreskin when he had his done?

• Loading the player...
  • There's still a little bit left, which is typical.  From what I've read as he gets older it will tighten up and pull back on its own.

Anniversary

• I am with PP, we never had to pull anything back after DS circumcision, it was just all gone. So I'm not sure the answer to this.  Hope it heals up for you!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Ditto with the PP we never pulled anything back on DS when he was done. We also just did Vaseline till he was healed no long red
  • AJW515AJW515 member
    (Long time lurker here)  I'm a pediatric RN and work with this all the time.  Put vaseline on there until it heals, but continue to pull back the excess foreskin as he grows.  Unfortunately, we do a lot of surgeries on kiddos such as "release of penile adhesions" or "circumcision revision", and their situation typically starts out like what you're describing.  Just be diligent about pulling it back as part of the diaper changing routine and eventually he'll get big enough that it will stay that way.  Good luck!!
  • Lhand11Lhand11 member
    I think we might have the same problem. I always pull it back during diaper changes, but at his 2 month, the dr pulled it way back. He pulled the fold away from the tip to try and release the adhesion (does that make sense?). I kept up with it for a while after the 2 month and then stopped. I took a look at it yesterday and saw that it seems to be doing it again! Our 4 month is tomorrow so he will obviously look at it, but it is becoming very frustrating!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Anniversary
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"